It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

rootsy13 HB User
My son is always "on the go"...

Hi everybody,

My son is a 9 year old Aspie with a co-morbid diagnosis of ADHD. I know it's normal for kids to have energy, but my son is like the Energizer bunny. I get very exhausted just watching him. For instance at home, he will literally run laps around the living room. He will also run and do flying kicks or jump up on the couch. He always wants to "battle" me (play fight) and will throw kicks and punches like Bruce Lee (his current interest). If we are watching a movie, he will just keep on talking. Now he also talks a lot about his special interests, but I'm ok with that. But I want him to understand there is a time and a place to talk ie - you don't talk during a movie. I have tried to explain this to him, but it's not working Smile

I'm not sure what to do. I enrolled him in karate, but he wanted to quit after about a year. I even bought him a small trampoline for inside our house. As far as social skills, he was also in a social skills group in school, but got "bored" with it and wanted to stop. I do not want to put him on meds for the hyperactivity, since I already tried that (reluctantly). Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: My son is always "on the go"...

I'd try diet changes first. My son used to take off running and literally bounce off the wall, using the wall as a trampoline, when he had caffene, even as much as 1/2 cup of soda would do it. I get hyper with various foods. Wheat gives me severe ADHD, totally unfocused and wound tight as a rubber band. Sugar also creates problems for many of us Aspies. Healthy eating with more vegetables and fruits rather than processed (sugary) items might help.

My allergy doctor told me never to eat the same thing 2 days in a row. As my allergies escalated, he put me on a rotational diet, where various food groups rotate on a 4 day schedule. It helped me see what foods are related, and pointed out some foods that caused problems. For example, the ADHD and joint pain would get much more severe the day after I had wheat, which is how that one was finally identified. Before the diet, I'd had wheat every day without exactly thinking about it that way. A sandwich, pizza, spaghetti, couple of cookies, fried chicken, biscuits with milk gravy, etc. Sounded like I ate a good variety, but all of them contained wheat.

All you can do is try different things, and hope something gives relief. Pay attention to any time he is less or more hyper, and trace back to see what was different. It could be an environment where odors were different, where animals were (or weren't), a special food eaten at school, etc. It could even be a particular brand of fake sweetener. We have to play detective to figure out these things, doctors just want to put us on meds without figuring out the underlying problem. Good luck.

Last edited by roses4lace; 12-04-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

rootsy13 HB User

roses4lace..thank you. fortunately, we have been on the right track as far as healthy eating goes. my son usually eats lots of fruits, veggies, salmon, beans etc. and he drinks lots of water. i'm considering maybe having him tested for any food allergens, so i'm not just playing a guessing game. i also ordered him a weighted shoulder wrap..i'm hoping this has somewhat of a calming affect. thank you for your advice

Old 12-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
(female)

Monkey7935 HB User

Mom gave me coffee. I have Asperger's & mild ADHD to. I'm just your adult version. Why coffee? Cafine. It has oppoesit effect on ADHD ppl or so the doctor told mama. I do diet coke now. Just find right amounts. To help me focos I took stratera.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

grandmak HB User

I have found all your comments helpful. As a grandma of a 7 yearl old autistic child I appreciate what I read. Thanks

Closed Thread