It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
(female)

Winterstorm HB User
11 year old son has Autism, need help with his diet and vitamens...

I have a son that is 11 and he has Autism, I would like some advice on what types of foods are better for him and may help him to be more calm. I've also heard that kids with Autism should be taking certain vitamens. Any advice for things that you have tried and worked, the clay baths, anything that we can try that may help him and us would be wonderful and we appericate any advice!!
Thanks,
WS

Last edited by Winterstorm; 12-07-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
(male)

chrisj46 HB User
Re: 11 year old son has Autism, need help with his diet and vitamens...

I just stumbled upon this, but eh i hear Ditty Doodle is good for kids with autism. Maybe the show has some kind of lesson for your son about his diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
(female)

Winterstorm HB User

Chris
Thanks I'll have to look up Ditty Doodle, I've never heard of it but thanks for the heads up!
WS

Old 12-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

In my area we have a place called Wellness Health in Homewood, Alabama. It is a specialty pharmacy, and they have special vitamin recommendations for people with Asperger's. It's a staged thing - at stage 1, take these, at stage 2, take these, etc. They make a point of keeping up with all the autism research, attending seminars, etc. They even have a couple of ladies who go to the Autism support group to do a presentation on the latest research, and what vitamins and supplements appear to help. I know they do a lot of mail order business, and I've always found their staff to be super helpful. I can't find my copy of the material they passed out, but I do remember they said we need higher doses of some vitamins than other people, because we don't process them properly. They would be a good resource for information on vitamins.

Last edited by roses4lace; 12-13-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
(female)

Winterstorm HB User

Roses4lace
Thanks so much I will look them up and get all the info I need to help my son!
Thanks
WS

Old 12-20-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Hi - For some of our kids, diet can be a trigger for anxieties and behaviors, in my opinion, and some of the helpful tips I have found are: cut down on the sugary stuff; that can be a lead in to sugar lows and all sorts of strange behaviors. Real important is eliminate as much of the color dyes as possible in your son's diet; red dyes seem to be especially on the offenders list for our kids. Read the ingrediants on what he eats and stay away from the red dyes.

And just like with any kid, a good multivitamin, if you can get him to take it. Also calcium and magnesium are good for calming as are the B Vitamins. Try and do some research on "vitamins and autism" and see what you come up with. Make sure that the sources of the information are trustworthy.

I find that my son does best when he's got protein in his system during the course of the day. Not always easy, but something to strive for.

Mira

Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
(female)

Winterstorm HB User

Mira,
Thanks and it's true about the vitamens, it's hard enough to get my son to take his medication before school. If he doesn't have it he is so unfocused at school. I've already started the no dyes in my kids meals and just started buying organic milk and food as much as I can. Thanks for the advice!
WS

Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

veronla21 HB User

How can you tell if its helping your child, i let niece watch dittydoodle a few days after i saw your post and she loves. How can you tell if your show ditty doodle is helping or if my niece is just really interested in it.

Closed Thread