It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

allison49 HB User
how to assist a violent autistic teenager

how to assist a violent autistic teenager that hates the sound of the school bell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: how to assist a violent autistic teenager

some of the kids who are sound sensitive benefit from ear coverings that lowering the decibels of sound for them. i don't know a lot about them but some people use them on airplanes to buffer the sound. they look like headphones but are specially made to diffuse sound; check out the internet and see what you can find.

the teen years are when many kids with autism eventually need to be on medications to calm and quell their nervous systems and the aggressions. medication has helped my son (now 21) tremendously. is there a good psych or neurologist he can go to? one that specializes in ASD would be very advisable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Mira11, What medications worked well for your autistic son's anger? I currently have an angry aggressive 14 year old. With hormones in play, it seams to be getting worse. I take him to the dr in a couple of weeks to adjust/change his meds. Any feedback would help. Thanks

Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
(female)

grandmak HB User

grandma k here---

Thanks for posting your information it is very helpful.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
(female)

Mira11 HB User

sjs - 14 is when it can get very difficult for kids with autism who have anger and behavior issues. Medication was essential. Our Dr. was willing to work with us closely and do trials to see what was right for him. I can tell you that Risperdol is fairly widely used with teens who have these aggression/behavior issues; Depakote is another medication that helps the mood swings; for my son Zyprexa is the one he settled on as it has given him the most effective impulse and anger control.

I do hope you can get things on a better track very soon and ask me any other things you may want. I remember the early teen years very well (he is now 21) and 14 is when the real challenges began. With his growing size, and "regular" teenage issues plus the autism issues, it got rough at times. Medications and some understanding teachers helped a lot. Some kids benefit from a combination of meds btw ie Risperdol for the anger control and Depakote for the mood swing management. At one time my son was on more than one medication. The important thing is a Dr. who "gets" the issues of autism.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Thanks Mira for your reply.
It just so happens that my son is currently on both Risperdal & Depakote. He is on a relatively high dose for both. We just had another blood test done to make he is metabolizing them properly.
He has been on Risperdal since he was 2 & is up to a dose of 3.5mg. This seems to make him too sleepy, so he's back down to 3mg. He probably needs the 3.5mg but he feels too dopey. Depakote is high at 375mg twice a day. He's been on that since he was 5 for another disorder, which he seams to have grown out of, but have opted to keep him on it for the mood stabilization. Hormones....fun fun!
I will mention Zyprexia to the doctor. Times of medication change and adjustment can be a long uphill process. Hopefully not this time. Thanks again for your response!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
(female)

Mira11 HB User

I would definitely ask about Zyprexa; it is probably the best medication my son has been on. I will "warn" you that at first he will be very sleep as his system gets used to it. That side effect passes in a week to two weeks. My son has been on this one for years, one dose increase.

For some reason, my son could not tolerate Risperdol. It had the effect of making him jumpy and nervous. Our kids can react so differently. OTOH I have heard other parents describes very good results from Risperdol!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
(female)

sjs40 HB User

We have had excellent results with Risperdal. Increasing the dose as he has gotten older and larger, has worked. At this time in his life, the increase in dosage is not well tolerated. We shall see!
Thanks for the side effect warning. That should be interesting.
One day at a time!
Blessings

Closed Thread