It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

jille627 HB User
My son has autism & hyperlexia. anyone else?

My 5 year old son reads on a 6th grade level. He has austim and hyperlexia. They say it's very rare. I just want to talk to someone who knows what this is like. Anyone out there?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
(female)

ferfyw HB User
Re: My son has autism & hyperlexia. anyone else?

My son is also 5 and reads at about the 4th to 5th grade level. He started reading before he was 2. He attends a typical junior kindergarten and is doing really well. He was tested for kindergarten placement for our school district yesterday. The resource teacher said he will probably be bored in kindergarten. He also struggles with handwriting (he gets OT for this) and is very hyperactive. I am considering private school for the smaller classes and higher academic standards, but I am also really concerned he won't keep up with the handwritng part of the curriclum. How is your son doing in school?

Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User

Hey Ladies

Have you all heard about or read Jenny Mccarthy's book Mother Warriors?

She tells the story of how her son was cured of Autism as a result of all the research she's done on the disorder and trying different things to impove his condition.

I don't have any children myself, but I was so inspired when she was on the Oprah Show the other day and I am going to check that book out really soon.

It sounds like you both have very very intelligent children and hopefully, if you decided to check out Jenny Mccarthy's (and her son's) story, it will help improve their conditions.

Take Care Ladies and good luck to you and your little ones

Old 02-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
(female)

jille627 HB User

Hi Kathy! Has your son been diagnosed with hyperlexia? I read somewhere that only 2 in 10,000 kids with autism have hyperlexia. Crazy!! My son is in a typical kindergarten class with a one on one aide(which he loves) but yes I think he is bored. We got his report card and he mastered everything except social communication stuff. Like your son he HATES!! to write. He is taking OT as well. Homework is a nightly battle because of the writing. He isn't hyperactive or even agressive. His speech is really hard to understand sometimes and we have a LOT of sensory issues. He is a whiz on the computer and Googles everything. He's thinking, why write it when you can type it? Is your son comprehending at the 4th or 5th grade level? They don't think mine is but he really shocks me sometimes. The county came to test him but couldn't finish because he was getting so upset. They said he got thru the 2nd grade on comprehension. What other therapy does your son take? I met a lady at therapy who was thinking of taking her 6 year old out of private school because they wouldn't provide the therapy he needed. I don't think he had an official diagnosis of autism. When I tell people about my son they look me like I'm telling a big one.You ever get that? Sorry to go on... It's good to talk to someone. What state are you in? Were in West Virginia

Old 02-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
(female)

ferfyw HB User

Good morning Jille. My son does not have an official hyperlexia diagnosis. His only diagnosis is plain old autism. From what I have read about hyperlexia, most kids with it fall somewhere on the autism spectrum. I am convinced that my son has Aspbergers syndrome and ADHD. OT is the only therapy he is receiving now (I have to pay out of pocket for this because he is in a private preschool.) . He has a huge vocabulary and is very articulate but he has a tendency to talk "at" you instead of "with" you. He is very social but sometimes tries too hard to fit in and comes across as being quirky. He could have started kindergarten in the fall of 2008 but I held him back because he has an oct. b-day and autism. He is in a wonderful junior Kindergaten program. He does have some problems with transitioning and HATES writing and doing any kind of art projects.

We are in California. Because of the budget crisis I am not sure what services he will get through the school district. I have my IEP on feb. 20 th. If i keep him in private school I'll have to continue to pay for OT. I don't know if I will be even able to afford private school next year. I guess the thing I am dreading the most about kindergaten is the homework. Kids get so much now.

I am confident though that my son will be successful in school. He does love to play with his peers and is very into "following the rules". Your son is very lucky to have an aide that he likes. It is almost impossible in our school district for a child to qualify for a private aide. I know several families that have had to hire lawyers to get aides for their kids.

Take Care,
Kathy

Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
(female)

RooMama HB User

Hi, my son has Hyperlexia. A few quick things about hyperlexia- almost no one with hyperlexia is diagnosed by an "expert", almost always the parents figure it out (or the person figures it out themselves when they are older). It isn't nearly as rare as the first poster read, which isn't surprising as there is so much misinformation out there about hyperlexia. It has been so helpful to us to have figured this out about our son, so I encourage others to look into it. For example, it really helps him if we write down instructions for him or a schedule for him rather than just saying it to him. I wouldn't have thought of that without knowing about the hyperlexia. Since very few experts know much at all about it, your hyperlexic child needs you to be the expert to get him what he needs.

To the person who posted about Jenny McCarthy's book- yes, it is very relevant. My son has made tremendous progress using diet and biomedical interventions, and is now close to recovered. When I say that, I mean that his autism spectrum stuff is close to gone, but his love of reading and reading ability have actually grown. It's been amazing to watch.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-23-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
(female)

RMom5 HB User

I was really excited when I read this post. I think my son may have this but I am not sure. He has autism spectrum and goes to a special preschool. He read by 3 years old. He was obsessed with letters and identified all letters of the alphabet by age 2. Right now he reads most of the Kindergarten sight words and some larger words like elephant, etc. Yet at the same time he has extreme difficulty putting language together. He cannot really form sentences and though he can read lots of single words, he cannot read sentences. I am a teacher and I am going to everything I can on literacy and trying like crazy to figure out how to help him, but I don't know what to do. Things are further complicated by Kindergarten coming up in another year or so and I don't know how to place him. He is so easily distracted I don't know how he would do in a class of 20 kids. He has also been classified as mildly mentally handicapped. Any words of wisdom or anybody that has been through similar circumstances? What should I do?

Closed Thread