It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

jkb2009 HB User
High Funtioning Autistic Son on Concerta

Hi,

My HFA son is 11 and is taking concerta 18mg for his ADD. I cannot believe the difference it has made for him. He is a totally different child. He used to have major anger bursts, and couldn't focus at school. He was so unhappy and struggled so hard. Everything was a fight with him. His brothers were afraid of him, he was so volotile and unstable. We caved and took him to his phsyciatrist for anger meds, and she instead gave us concerta for ADD.

She earned her paycheck that day.

He hasn't caused a problem at home since we put him on it. He is charming, helpful, respectful, responsible, involved, engaging, cuddly, loving, interested in others, fun to be around, sweet natured, 100% successfull at school, making non disabled friends....you name it. I am in HEAVEN!!!!!!

The only problem I have now is that he is losing weight. He is 11 and only 66lbs. Is anyone else dealing, or has dealt with this? I don't want to stop the Wonder Meds, but......he needs to gain weight or he won't grow when puberty hits. HELP!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: High Funtioning Autistic Son on Concerta

Our doctor recommended peanut butter.

Kirstee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

sjs40 HB User

My 14 year old sarted taking Concerta this month and has dropped some weight. I am concerned about this drug stunting his growth because it is a side affect.
I have a friend who started her child on Concerta when he was 11. When she put him on something else, within a year he grew 6 inches. It could have been that he would have had a growth spurt anyway, but you have to wonder.
I would say, increase the Calcium intake. My younger son (12) loves dairy. He is growing, growing, growing. Kids that are at a major growing stage need the extra Calcium.
Eating healthy foods enriched with good fats is a good idea too.
Would he eat trail mix?

Hope this helps.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
(female)

lfelix HB User

Hi,
My daughter is moderately autistic but she wasn't diagnosed until she was seven. When she was 6 she was diagnosed with ADHD and was put on Concerta. in seven months she lost 18 lbs.
It was terrifying for a bit but we were able to put some of the weight back on by increasing snacks in the afternoon and before bed. I find Nutella and bagels work wonders!

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
(female)

mkierce HB User

does the drug kill the appetite? You can try asking the doc to put him on a antihistimine called periactin to stimulate appetite.

Closed Thread