It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
(female)

Shan4 HB User
Which Dog breed is good with ASD?

Hi

I have 4 boys. 15, 13 asd, 11 asd and 2 and a half. We are looking into getting a dog. Can anyone recommened a dog breed that might be able to handle a noisy active household? My 13 yr old stims and paces alot and my 11 year old screams a high pitched scream (not ongoing, just a scream) that he uses alot. My 2 and a half year old is nt but he is a typical tot, into everything!

Any suggestions?

Shannon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Dog breed good with ASD

I would definately avoid any of the toy breeds. Small dogs tend to be more anxious and high strung. A good steady breed that's good with kids and has a "soft" mouth (for retrieving) is a Golden Retriever. Keep in mind they have to be trained and taught how to behave. I also recommend that you only purchase from a reputable breeder in order to assure that you get a dog with the proper temperment. I'm sure there are many other suggestions that people will have. I have poodles and poodle mixes. A standard poodle might be a good choice, however, they require extensive grooming and haircuts . Research before you decide. A dog is a long term commitment and you want to make sure you make the correct decision before adding one to the family. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I am a true believer that the mutt is the perfect dog. I have rescued every dog I have ever had...and would never consider a pure bred dog that is the product of puppy mills, or over breeding.

Visit your local animal shelter, and take a look at all the choices you have there. When you see "your" dog, you will know. It's a wonderful experience that your family can share, and the staff will guide you through your adoption.

Mixed breeds are often much more healthy, hearty, and free of "craziness". They also seem to know that they were saved, and repay you forever in loyalty and affection.

Enjoy

Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
(female)

wweangelica HB User

when i was younger we used o have a black lab and he was so soppy, and great with little kids

Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

are you sure you will have the time to train a dog? maybe you should rescue/adopt an older dog who has calmed down a bit, I wouldn't recommend a puppy (of any breed). I'd hate to see the dog given up down the line because you didn't have time or the knowledge of training to acclimate the dog into your household. If you do go ahead and get a dog, please enlist the help of a good trainer and realize that you will need to spend time every day working on training. If you can't commit to that, please rethink getting a dog at this time.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
(female)

caza HB User

hi ther e i cant recomend highly enuf ablack lab my son is autistic we got him a lab he loves that dog and the dog loves him she walks him gets his food and drink and puts dirty nappies in the bin and will not let any one hurt him atruly wonderfull dog

Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

We had a Springer Spaniel when our aspie was growing up. What a terrific dog! When our son was grown up, I asked him which dog he enjoyed the most when he was a kid, and it was "hands down" the springer spaniel. BUT, you have to be careful to make sure the breeding is not prone to "spaniel rage" which is unpredicatable and scarey in a dog prone to the condition. Research and a good breeder will help you with this issue.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
(female)

Allfourit HB User

Labrador. My 4 year old son has mid level Autism. The dog is a pain in the rear in all other areas, however, my son loves her to death and the dog is the most gentle, patient creature you could ever hope for. He crawls all over her, pulls her ears and she just smiles.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
(male)

guyfromla HB User

Labs and other medium-to-large dog breeds are good. A loyal dog is the best companion any person - particularly an autistic person - could have.

Seeing the post above about "spaniel rage" reminds me that it is really good to have a good history on any dog you get. Obviously we all know that Pit Bulls bred from known violent bloodlines are going to have problems, but people never think about Springer Spaniels or similar dogs as being prone to such issues as well. Remember, any dog can attack ... they are still animals. It's best to have some knowledge of the specific dog you are getting - not just the breed, the individual dog. Breeds can be deceiving, as you'd initially be inclined to think that my Pit Bull and my Doberman would be mean, aggressive dogs when, in fact, my fluffy little Lhasa Apso is the aggressive one in my household. Of all my dogs, the most loyal and loving is my Pit Bull. She is also submissive to my Lhasa Apso ... and that is no lie.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
(female)

Lizzie62 HB User
Re: Which Dog breed is good with ASD?

Hi Shannon,
I was wondering how things worked out? I have been following this thread off and on as dogs are my passion (and yes I do have purebred dogs, I have bred dogs, and I am a fanatic about health) However, even though I have owned many purebreds, and one sickly mixed breed, I don't think breed matters. I wouldn't go with a lab puppy unless you have lots of time on your hands! I would start at the shelters. If you can't find a satisfactory dog there go to a rescue. The reason I say Shelters and rescues, is because you can likely find an older dog. An older dog I think would be ideal. The ideal dogs for an autistic child would be a well investigated German Shepherd (they can be very maternal (the girls) and are extremely loyal to a fault. Golden Retrievers are friendly and fun if you want a larger dog. A smaller dog I would recommend a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Those three have very steady personalities if well bred, but as I said, an older dog that you can really see how he/she reacts with children.
Good luck dear!
Lizzie

"Life is Beautiful" Sixx:AM

Closed Thread