It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

Aliya HB User
Wink Getting son checked for possible Autism or other difficulties

Hi, Just grasping at straws right now but I believe I'm on a journey with my five year old son and who knows where it will take us. He has an appointment at the Pediatrician in a week. I've been concerned about his behaviour over the last six months. He just started S.K. in September and this is when everything seemed to snowball. His behaviour is different and unusual at times. He doesn't like transition. It irks his world, his space. For instance; I moved his bed in order to compensate for added items in his room. His tantrum was so horrific that he was taking his hand and hitting his head continuously, slapping and pinching me leaving bruises. Then he sat on the floor with his arms around his legs crying in a monotone voice for at least 45 minutes. Other times during the day he repeats phrases like "I want eggs" about thirty times through the house. When he is anxious he will occasionally stare off into space not acknowledging anyone or his surroundings. Sometimes he'll go play on his own without his brothers digging a snow pile from one side of the driveway to the other in a repetitive fashion until he is done. He refuses to go to school throwing his coat, hat, shoes and socks off. He flops himself on the ground like dead weight to the point where I can't even lift him. Bright light bothers his eyes at times and he seems overly sensitive to the school environment. Thus the reason I'm seeking help now. Could he be a high functioning autisic?? I don't like to speculate when there is no clear diagnosis but my motherly, gut, instinct is telling me different.

What are your thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Aliya; 02-20-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: adding more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Getting son checked for possible Autism or other difficulties

Hi Aliya - the tantrumming when things are changed and the repetitive actions and speech could be an indication of possibly Asperger's which is on the HF end of the autism spectrum. His language seems to be normal from what you're writing. I have often thought that the repetitive actions and insistence of things being the absolute same is a way for the child to deal with the anxiety that is plaguing them.

I think it's excellent that you're going for an eval. At some point you might want to ask about medication to help alleviate some of the anxiety and see if the Dr. thinks that might lessen some of the symptoms you're describing.

Let us know what happens.

Closed Thread