It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

crocheting HB User
does 2 yr. old grandson have autism?

Hi Guys Does my two year old grandson have autism?? Can anyone give me feedback on what to look for? My daughter is a young mother of 24 yrs at around a year old at a well baby visit, the doctor advised her to get a test done through another doctor to see if he was showing signs of autism. My daughter never kept the appt. That was set. My grandson is two yrs and doesn't talk at all, not one word. There are also a lot of other things I notice, to many to post. I hope someone can tell me what to look for in a two year old, to know if he is showing signs of autism? Thanks for any help you can give me!
Crocheting

Old 02-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

jille627 HB User
Re: does 2 yr. old grandson have autism?

My son was diagnosed at 2 with autism. Some of the things to look for are hand flapping, rocking, spinning, poor eye contact, odd behaviors or obsessions, speech delays or starting to speak and then suddenly stopping(this happened to us) stomach or gut issues, potty training problems(we still have these) major tantrums,lining objects or toys in a row or acting like he's deaf when you call or scream his name. There are a lot of red flags. It's good to be aware of them because the sooner you get help (therapy) the better off your little one will be. My son just turned 6 and we've come a LONG way. I hope this might help a little. God bless... Jille

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
(female)

crocheting HB User
Wink Re: does 2 yr. old grandson have autism?

Thanks so much....the truth is my daughter is very over protective of my grandson. She is a young homemaker so I don't get a lot of time alone with him. I am also a homemaker, I will go over next week and spend time with him looking for all the signs you suggested. If you can...check the boards next week so I can let you know what I see. There is no better information.....than from a parent who has experienced this first hand. I will understand if your not able to look at the posts next week. I am so grateful for all the information.
Crocheting

Old 02-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Hi -

Jillie's list was very good for looking for signs of autism.

The only things I can think to add are: does he have a hard time with change ie transition from one place to another, when someone new has come into the home, even new routes in driving from one place to another that have changed. Also, is he oversensitive to sound and touch?

We'll look for your post to see if we can help you in any way.

There are SO many services now for young children with symptoms of autism and your daughter could access early intervention with a referall from her dr. Or private speech therapy - most insurance companies pay for this now. The dr. she was referred to would be a good source of referalls for early intervention services.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
(female)

jille627 HB User

I know all about being over protective. I will watch the boards and be happy to help if I can. I hope all you find at your visit is lots of hugs and kisses. God bless... Jille

Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

crocheting HB User
Unhappy Re: does 2 yr. old grandson have autism?

Thank you guys so much. I am so confused on what to do? Like I said before my daughter is not taking it seriou, maybe she is afraid. If my grandsons doctor referred him to be tested by another doctor and my 80 year. Old mother as well as myself feel he does need to be tested! His doctor gave my daughter a referral about a year ago! I have to be careful and approach my daughter carefully.....I don't want to come off like I know more than her. She is a wonderful mother, and since she is so overprotective, it is hard for me to say much. One thing that stands out in my mind right now.....when we go to her place to visit he gets upset when we leave. When they come to my house.....when they first arrive...he is agitated and restless for the first 10 mins. Or so. We will only eat a few things, and he is not potty trained. Also he will not allow ANYONE to hold him, not even his mom and dad. He gets real upset and fights when they change his diaper. My grandson does not talk at all not even mama or dada. When he was younger he never made a sound, not cooing or babling! I will watch him very carefully so I can ask you guys more questions. If you can think of something I can say or do with him, that may show is more.....please let me know. Thank you for all your imput, your help means so much! I hope we can keep in touch on the boards.....I do need both of you to help me.....more than you could know. I post here on other boards....I really believe the Lord lead me to this board, not a doubt. This has kind of been a sore subject.....you guys have given me hope....that maybe I can figure this out and protect my family! This daughter is my oldest, I have birth to her when I was 17 years.....we have always been close, we sort of grew up together. MY other daughter is 8 years old and I am a homemaker. I sure hope to hear from you guys again....you have REALLY given me hope!
Crocheting

Old 02-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Hi again - I do think that your grandson needs some type of intervention esp. since he does not say any words and did not babble. Perhaps he just has a language delay, but I can tell you that now is the absolute time for him to be taken for interventions.

Maybe you could suggest a speech therapy consultation? That he might be able to begin to acquire some words to express his needs and wants with some help.

We're here so keep us posted and we'll be looking on the board.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
(female)

jille627 HB User

Hello again... Yes I agree, approach this with care because no mommy wants to hear that there may be something wrong with her angel. Even if she knows in her heart of hearts that something's up. I think God gave us(mommys) a sixth sense about our babies. It took me a LONG time to accept it and get help for my son. There is so much help out there now. As for the things you mentioned, my son also dosen't let ANYONE hold or even hug him. He gets rigid and squirms away even still. This is hard for his grandparents sometimes. Does he seem to not feel pain like most children? Lots of autistic kids have a high pain tolerence. Does he cover his ears? Oversensitivity to sounds, smells and certain lighting can make them agitated also. Again, I do hope your visit goes well. Keep in touch...Jille

Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

Have they ruled out hearing loss?

A few things come to mind (I try not to repeat what others have mentioned)... is he particularly interested in swinging/latching doors.. shiny/spinning objects.. does he use toys age appropriately.. does he run/wander off.. do his clothes bother him.. does he favor or refuse certain foods (only eats puree, wont eat anything crunchy, or vice-versa).. does he cry/meltdown for unknown reasons.. is he clumsy for his age.. does he chew on things a lot..

You may want to search.. Sensory Integration Disorder.. what you said about him not wanting to be held will be covered here. You may also see 'tactile defensiveness'... Our Occupational Therapist explained it as 'major skin sensitivity' Weighted vests were big then and I have to agree it calmed him a bit. Home care was to challenge all fine and gross motor skills, consistently. They told us to let my son climb (which was a terrible habit of his) and to swaddle/roll him in blankets (as a game) to calm him. They emphasized 'rough play' as being a good thing. Also covered under sensory integration is oral defensiveness (my son chewed every shirt collar and shirt sleeve he owned). Tactile issues also interfered with his wearing shirts/hoodies with a front zipper or buttons... and certain shoes. He wouldnt eat anything that made his hands yucky (no salty foods, fried chicken, suckers, ice cream, etc, im not complaining) but this later turned into not coloring, painting, using chalk, or writing.

Many have an exceptional strength. Does your grandson display any unusual strengths? My son at that age would meltdown (not in the TOY isle) in the battery/camera isle. He was obsessed with bashyights (flashlights) and batteries.

Your g-sons local school district should also be able to give you information on Early Intervention Support & Assessment. Good luck to you/your family.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
(female)

janet caffyn HB User

Hi,I my grandson is four and has autism,when i read you,r note I knew exactly how you were feeling, I had a terrible six months with my daughter when I tried to get her to seek help for him!! I knew something was wrong when he was about one year old, my loving happy grandson vanished and in his place was a little boy who would'nt even smile or look at me,we live opposite each other so it was a daily occurance,I tried so hard dropping mild hints but had to be so careful, of course everyone else made it worse by saying he was going through a phase and would grow out of it!! I was even told that if I mentioned autism again I would'nt see him again!! my daughter is a wonderful mother but who wants to admit that their one and only child might have a problem?? eventually after many hidden tears I managed to get them for an assesment, just to prove me wrong hopefully, dont give up, I,m sure you'r daughter will eventually realise that her son may need assessing, then you can all start to learn together how to help him.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
(female)

Allfourit HB User

My son is 4, with Autism. At 2 he would lay on the floor and spin things, have a fascination with the wheels on his cars, he didn't talk, rarely made eye contact, had shocking sleep patterns, seemed oblivious to what people were saying to him.
There is hope if your daughter seeks the help NOW....my son has advanced in leaps and bounds and apart from problems with communication is very much like any other 4 year old child. Good luck. x.
Michelle.

Closed Thread