| | Shocking discovery. Do I have autism?!
I know most of you will say this isn’t enough information to go on, but give me your GUT REACTIONS.
I am bi-polar and on medications; however, I also have the following issues (most since birth):
• Extreme noise intolerance (but not machines or natural sounds) – mainly people eating, popping gum, coughing, walking on the floor above me. Hotel rooms have to be on the top floor. We resisted buying a house because it was too close to the road and I HATE the booming of car stereos. I want to take a bat to the car. My husband and I are now eating in separate rooms. I can’t stand my father-in-law because I can’t handle ANY sound that comes from him. His laugh, his breathing, etc.
• Pretend-type words and sentences while watching TV, listening to a sermon in church, or even my thoughts in bed at night. Involuntary. Usually don’t realize I’m doing it. No one else has ever noticed, as it’s not that visible.
• Count stairs (but not always). Involuntary.
• Neurological tic (?) This definitely needs a long explanation. It involves clenching of muscles in toes, fingers, etc. I’m just telling people about this (40 years later!)
• Need weight (pillow) on feet to sleep at night.
• Don’t like to touch/feel people. I’m ok with hugging and I’m ok with husband, but if someone asked me to feel something on their skin, no thanks! I don’t kiss anyone but hubby and dogs.
• ADHD… well, that’s what everyone will tell you I definitely have, and that’s what I say I have…however, 2-3 psychiatrists have told me “only slightly.” I assumed their tests were faulty.
• I cannot remember details. Only the “gist” of things. I have a hard time remembering basic words when speaking with someone.
• I have a lot of friends. I can be quite the comedian. I am a “greeter” at church.
• A lot (but not ALL) of people love me because I just say things off the cuff. Things that others won’t say out loud. I say it like it is - I speak my mind and the truth. I can’t help it. LIFE IS TOO SHORT to mess around!
• I am good at hospitality, such as hosting a baby/bridal shower or having a dinner party. But little stressors can set me off. I cannot handle too many things going on at once. I cannot cook and prepare if someone is talking to me.
• I’m thoughtful towards others. I’ll cry at funerals of people I don’t know.
• I suffer from really bad skin, serious allergies, itchy when walking, IBS, depression, etc.
• Medications: Paxil, Lamictil, Vyvanse, Minocycline
• I am envious of people with just one disease, like cancer.
• I work from home as a graphic designer.
• Married 13 years. Children are my 2 dogs.
Thanks for reading!
Last edited by nohope911; 02-25-2009 at 08:24 AM.