I know most of you will say this isn’t enough information to go on, but give me your GUT REACTIONS.
I am bi-polar and on medications; however, I also have the following issues (most since birth):
• Extreme noise intolerance (but not machines or natural sounds) – mainly people eating, popping gum, coughing, walking on the floor above me. Hotel rooms have to be on the top floor. We resisted buying a house because it was too close to the road and I HATE the booming of car stereos. I want to take a bat to the car. My husband and I are now eating in separate rooms. I can’t stand my father-in-law because I can’t handle ANY sound that comes from him. His laugh, his breathing, etc.
• Pretend-type words and sentences while watching TV, listening to a sermon in church, or even my thoughts in bed at night. Involuntary. Usually don’t realize I’m doing it. No one else has ever noticed, as it’s not that visible.
• Count stairs (but not always). Involuntary.
• Neurological tic (?) This definitely needs a long explanation. It involves clenching of muscles in toes, fingers, etc. I’m just telling people about this (40 years later!)
• Need weight (pillow) on feet to sleep at night.
• Don’t like to touch/feel people. I’m ok with hugging and I’m ok with husband, but if someone asked me to feel something on their skin, no thanks! I don’t kiss anyone but hubby and dogs.
• ADHD… well, that’s what everyone will tell you I definitely have, and that’s what I say I have…however, 2-3 psychiatrists have told me “only slightly.” I assumed their tests were faulty.
• I cannot remember details. Only the “gist” of things. I have a hard time remembering basic words when speaking with someone.
• I have a lot of friends. I can be quite the comedian. I am a “greeter” at church.
• A lot (but not ALL) of people love me because I just say things off the cuff. Things that others won’t say out loud. I say it like it is - I speak my mind and the truth. I can’t help it. LIFE IS TOO SHORT to mess around!
• I am good at hospitality, such as hosting a baby/bridal shower or having a dinner party. But little stressors can set me off. I cannot handle too many things going on at once. I cannot cook and prepare if someone is talking to me.
• I’m thoughtful towards others. I’ll cry at funerals of people I don’t know.
• I suffer from really bad skin, serious allergies, itchy when walking, IBS, depression, etc.
ha ha. I'm sure you're not crazy....sometimes we can read too much, worry too much and compare ourselves far too much. I think our worst enemy can be that list of 'symptoms'...gets us thinking. My 4 year old has Autism, my 12 year old has Epilepsy.
My 16 year old can't stand the sound of people eating either....drives her nuts...my 12 year old is a very loud eater, once she starts to focus on him she goes insane. What do you do eh? You already have Bipolar?? Don't go looking for any more things to worry about. Take care, Michelle.
Hey, thanks. I'm a 40-year old woman just looking for answers to all of her health issues that have been driving her crazy all her life! ;-) When you hit 40, all issues are escalated. Every part of me is hypersensitive. Good luck with those kids! HA
you asked for a gut reaction, and my gut says it is OCD
the obsessive words while watching tv
just my opinion
you sound like you're doing just fine. You have a lot of friends, you're sociable.
Someone in my family does have OCD and one of the things he wishes for is that he had a 'real' disease-he too has mentioned cancer-because he feels that most people cannot relate to a mental disorder. Even though it does have a physical cause. (chemical inbalance). I shudder any time it's mentioned.
oh yeah, he was misdiagnosed by one doc as being bipolar
Last edited by eyesworld; 03-13-2009 at 06:10 PM.