It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

Julia82 HB User
my 7 year old getting out of control

Hi my son is 7 years old he got diagnosed with aspergers and adhd about a year ago. i have alway known that the was somthing wrong with ben but all the perfessionals told me no he is fine nothing wrong he is just a typical little boy. even tho when he was 18 months old i got woken up by the smoke alarm goin off, and there was ben sitting on my kitchen side puttin tea bags in the toaster, luckily he was ok but cried when i got him off and told him off.
then when ben started school thing got even worse he was violent towards other children,running round the school because he didnt want to do his work, rippin up his work and was just a night mare. it didnt help that the old head master there was rubbish because all he ever done was send him home. but then a new head mistress and she is the one who got ben diagnosed. ben is now on tablets which help for his adhd and he dose concentrate more and dosent run round as much. but i have found he is more better behaved at school but not at home. He is soooooooooooooo rude and violent towards me, his step dad and his little sister chloe who is 3. nothing seems to trigger his moods, apart from the no word or tellin him to do something ie puttin his toys away or gettin dressed. he will no longer go to bed at his bed time, and even puts toys on his bed so he cant sleep on it, when told to move them off the bed his reply is "no, i wont do it" even if we move them he still refuses and starts to shout and scream waking up his little sister, this goes on till about 3am and starts again at about 6am. in the morning if he isnt shouting and screaming he will sneak downstairs and steal food and hides it in his bedroom. we can no longer have hot chocolate in the house because he will sit there eating it, he can be covered head to toe in it and blames it on his little sister who is at the time fast asleep in bed.
He has destroyied his bedroom and all of his sisters toys that she got for xmas, along with her favourate videos/dvds.
we got him a pet hamster, hoping it mite teach him how to look after things. that lasted the whole of a day, he killed it the following day.
He will try to throw things at his step dad when he has been told off, also tries to headbutt him and has kicked him you can guess where quite a few times.
He really no longer cares about any thing unless it benifits himself or he gets some thing out of it. When we go shopping, if we dont buy him any thing as soon as we get home he will start back up with the shouting and screaming, even when he has been good and we treat him to Mc D's he will eat hardly any of it and then when bed time comes shout and scream that he is hungry and will not go to bed unless given crisps or chocolate, which we refuse to do.
We have really had enough and no longer know what to do, we have tryied every thing we can think of and more, nothing works anymore. I really dont know what to do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User
Re: my 7 year old getting out of control

Keep taking him to psychiatrist/psychologists that specialize in children until you find someone you listens to you and offers to really help.
It sounds like your son may have a behavioral disorder such as ODD (Oppositional Defient Disorder)
I know it is hard and at times it seems almost hopeless, but keep hope, it can get better.
I know because I have not one but two children with similar problems. Finding the right doctors and the right meds have made a tremendous difference.
Just keep in mind that with kids they are still growing and developing so need constant monitoring and adjusting of medications.
Keep posting and venting and asking questions.
We are all here for you.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
(female)

floydtessa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrichmentor View Post
Dear Julia,

There is a homeopathic remedy called Tarentula Hispanica which has been used in such ADHD cases. We had a chance to recommend it to a freind's son with very similar behaviour and it did help reduce the severity of the case rather well. You may like to try using a couple of doses of 30c potenecy and see if that helps. Pls do revet if you need any further information. Happy to help

Arun

Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
(female)

floydtessa HB User

I totally empathise with you as my daughter has adhd and like you i felt there was no ending to it , but my daughter is now 11 and at secondary school and a few hiccups but nothing out of the norm, i found that like your child good at school nightmare when at home thats because they are holding it all in and as soon as they come home the anger comes out, my daughter joint a swimming club and i cannot tell you how many medals and swims top squad and is doing fantastic, you need to find your child something where they can put all the energy into something to focus on , iq is very good you can buy over the counter, also child counsellors are excellent , helps them to talk about their problems, have big pillows in the room so they can punch them when feeling angry or something they can feel safe with when they feel this way, hope this helps but believe me my daughter is doing really well and is not so much angry anymore yes she has the outbursts and the tantrums but try not to let them go on ie like the next day constantly reminding them deal with it at the time then let it go, and praise them so so much and keep telling them how well they are doing how much you love them and how clever they are when doing something good, sorry i am not telling you what to do is what i do with my daughter and just seems to help her, ignore the bad, reward the good and like the other person said get a good professional who is willing to help and not quick to put on drugs!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

Julia82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak77 View Post
Keep taking him to psychiatrist/psychologists that specialize in children until you find someone you listens to you and offers to really help.
It sounds like your son may have a behavioral disorder such as ODD (Oppositional Defient Disorder)
I know it is hard and at times it seems almost hopeless, but keep hope, it can get better.
I know because I have not one but two children with similar problems. Finding the right doctors and the right meds have made a tremendous difference.
Just keep in mind that with kids they are still growing and developing so need constant monitoring and adjusting of medications.
Keep posting and venting and asking questions.
We are all here for you.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
(female)

Julia82 HB User

thankyou for gettin back to me i will defrently get that checked out and i will let you know what the out come is. i just fel at the moment the family is really unhappy and i dont think i can take anymore and think its my fault ben is like this. love julia

Old 02-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
(female)

Julia82 HB User

thankyou everyone for getting back to me, and i will defferently get ben seened to again. i feel like i cant cope no more and blame myself why ben has so many problems, so thankyou for all the help and i will try them all and keep you all up to date with the out come take care love julia x

Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Julia - PLEASE DO NOT BLAME YOURSELF; THE PROBLEMS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. Your son has serious behavioral issues that need to be evaluated and treated.

Call your local hospital and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in Aspergers and ADHD, get an appt. and begin the process of evaluation. There is help.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by Mira11; 02-26-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
(female)

floydtessa HB User

Hi Julia,

I work with parents of children with ADHD and the first thing they say is that they blame themselves and they could have done something different etc and its perfectly normal to think this way but believe me like the previous lady said ITS NOT ANYTHING YOU HAVE DONE, you are a wonderful mum to be going onto forums and seeking help and information showing how much you love your son we all feel the end of our tether and our children test us to the limits but you will get the right help it just may take some time but persevere and you will get there , not sure if you have them in your area but the adhd groups are really good as you get to chat to other mums in your position and you dont feel so alone well worth looking into , like the other lady said we are all here for you and know what you are going through

Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
(female)

DannysMum HB User

Just want to say that the others are right, it's not your fault.
Remember, some families in the end have to seek residential care for their autistic youngster ( I know of 2 and have read the letter of a 3rd mother- absolutely heartbreaking).
We would not choose this for our children. It is called a spectrum for very good reasons, the further down the spectrum.... life is *** at times.

The letter in the British Autistic Society magazine from a mother made me cry - it spoke of her double grief: firstly of her son having autism and having her dreams taken away, and then the grief of losing him all over again when they were unable to look after him at home any more.

Another family had to have a 'safe room' for their child to lock him in when the out of control behaviour took him over.

We are here for you Julia. xxxxxxx

Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Julia - I just responded to you on the other thread but want to tell you again that if either you or someone in your home or your son is in a crisis risk situation for harm, you can call you local mental health crises center and they will come out and do an evaluation. They may even arrange for a hospitalization to get your son calmed down and on the rights medications. Or call your Dr. and say someone is at risk for harm and you would like to talk about a hospitalization.

I hope this weekend has been better. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Mira11; 03-01-2009 at 04:02 AM.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
(female)

Julia82 HB User

thanyou mira11 for your post and the weekend has been ok. but i will phone the dr on monday and see if i can get more help and of course i will keep everyone informed.

there is anouther problem i have though and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas, ben is still wettin the bed at night is this normal and is there anything i can do.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
(female)

Julia82 HB User

hi can i just ask has anyone else found that when you go to the behaval dr or what ever it is call. i have found that she has diagnosed him but i have to do everything myself she just tell me what to do. i just feel that she has told me what is wrong with ben and now get on with it. she wont refeer him i have to do it. i think the professionals should do it because then we wilol get more noticed and got more chance of gettin the help we deserve xxxxxx sorry i just had to get that off my chest

Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Julia - i think the dr. should have an idea of referrals, but if not, does your city have a local autism support group - this is a great source of referrals. networking with other parents can give great results. or call the major hospital and get into the ped. neurology dept. and ask for referrals, or call the director of special education and see what they have to suggest. you're right tho, there's still a lot of networking and advocacy that parents have to do in many of the times.

Closed Thread