It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

luckystar HB User
Question Does anyone have an Aspie child who drives

I might of posted this before.

My son is 17 with AS. He talks about driving but has no interest in reading the book to get his permit. I worry a lot about all the distractions while driving. I do want him to be as independent as possible.

Does anyone have a child with AS that drives or does anyone on here have AS and drive??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: Does anyone have an Aspie child who drives

I am an Aspie and drive. My son is an Aspie and doesn't drive. Well, he did study the book a couple of days, and we took him to driving lessons offered by Voc Rehab. Drove only at the classes. Got his license, and hasn't driven since.

I saw driving as a way to leave a bad home situation and be independent. So I persevered. It helped that we had a large yard, where I spent many days driving around without worrying about hitting something. There are too many distractions driving. I still don't enjoy it, but I'll drive if I can't talk someone else into driving. Took me years to be able to drive with the radio on. Still don't want people talking to me if it's raining, or constant chatting when I'm driving. Just too much sensory overload.

Here's an idea - If he wants to drive, go somewhere there aren't many cars, and the road is fairly wide. Best would be to take someone's truck out on a farm where he doesn't have to stay on the road. This way he could get familiar with what all he has to do without the fear of running off the road and having to constantly check the mirrors.

Remembering to look in all the mirrors, getting coordinated enough to do the steering wheel and the gas and brakes, knowing when to look out which window and in which mirror, keeping it between the lines and out of the ditch, having a car coming straight towards you, having no concept of how big your vehicle is and what space it will fit in . . . Well you get the picture. He doesn't have to read the book before driving, and whoever is in the car can point out the "rules" as they are needed. Later he can read the book and it'll make more sense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
(female)

Rickysmom HB User
Re: Does anyone have an Aspie child who drives

I, too, have a son who read the manual and took the test, but he failed 3 times by 1 point. That was last summer and he hasn't taken the initiative to take it again. I think aspies need to just do things in their own time frame, which can be very different from the "usual". I just try to give him his space and if and when he eventually decides he wants to pursue his license, I will assist him in any way I can.

Closed Thread