It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

misE08 HB User
Questions/Concerns

I have only read posts on this subject and it has only made me concerned for my own child. I have a son that has just turned one in February...he does this "hand flapping" thing with his arms stretched out and when sitting in the floor watching tv or eating a snack stiffens out his legs. He is very attentive, when he is playing and you call his name he stops and looks at you, he has great eye contact and is very loving and sweet. My pediatrician said this is nothing to worry about, he is too young to say if it may be a sign for him (he has done this since he was like 3mths old) and she doesnt seem to think I have any red flags or anything to worry about. When should I get concerned and look for other signs and what exactly should I watch for? thank you in advance for your replies. Missy

Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
(female)

DannysMum HB User
Re: Questions/Concerns

Hand flapping on its own is certainly not a red flag. Stop worrying and enjoy your little boy, he sounds delightful. It would be a shame to spend this lovely time worrying and looking for autistic signs when it really sounds that he is fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

misE08 HB User

dannysmum: thank you so much for your response, I know I do worry too much, but I do enjoy this little bundle of joy everyday, he is a blessing in so many ways......i hope you are right, it just concerns me....God Bless you.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
(female)

Allfourit HB User

Congratulations on your beautiful child first off. Now....relax. What your child is doing is perfectly normal. When the parent of an Autistic child speaks of hand flapping, it is a totally different thing...you would know it if you saw a child doing it...you would know. At the age of 1...you should just take a breath and enjoy that child, you have many years of worry what with one thing or another. Don't label just yet. x. M.

Closed Thread