It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

sjs40 HB User
Defiant Teenager - My Story With Words Of Encouragement

Hello Everyone! Let me first say.... What a relief to come to this board and share with others & get some comfort and/or advice!

My 14 year old son has been on Risperdal for a host of difficulties he has. Some of which are Autism/PDD, Bi Polar, anxiety.... He has been on this drug since he was 2, and it has allowed him to function normally in life.

Now that he is a hormonal teenager, he has deceitfully not taken his nightly dose of his medications. He simply wants to stay up and watch TV and eat.
The Risperdal helps him sleep at night, but makes it difficult to get up in the morning. I told him that we could try to ween him off the Risperdal and try something else, but at the time being, we just changed his ADD medicine to Concerta. This has helped him tremendously, but we haven't gotten the dosage right yet, because he's not taking his other meds regularly.

Without the Risperdal, in particular, he becomes irrational and thinks of elaborate fanciful ideas of how he will survive in life. He says he'll run away and live in a warehouse and for food he will hunt. The first response to that statement that I get from other people that don't deal with special children, 'oh kids just say that, they don't actually run away.' This child has actually run away. Twice.

When my son does take his meds, you would almost never know that he's autistic. He's an honor roll student in school. He is supposed to start vocational school in his Sophomore year (next year).

He will always need adult support/supervision in life. I am so stressed right now, that may health has suffered severely. I was told I have no immune support & was a candidate for getting cancer because of my current health. .

Of course the whole family (he has 3 siblings) is impacted. But my husband is hardly home to see the emotional abuse that goes on. (He only usually sees a tired wife that hasn't gotten around to fully cleaning the house) My son is brutal when he's not in his right mind. Because I am mostly the one that sets up structure in his life, I'm the one that gets the turmoil.

Yesterday, however, my son had one of his lowest days, and my husband heard it over the phone. (Because he took my husband off guard and snuck his medicine in the nearest garbage that night, then didn't sleep at all)
In desperation, my husband made a plea with our church leaders to help our son. To just show the extra care and concern is all we can ask. - Though in the back of our minds, we have thought of sending our son away.

My prayers go out to all persons and families that face life's challenges in extraordinary ways. May you feel Our Heavenly Fathers warm embrace. There is a reason we have these special people. I, myself, know that God doesn't give more than you can handle. In that light, I am honored to take on so much.

I have a plaque with a quote from Mother Teresa

"I always Know God won't give me more than I can handle but there are times I wish he didn't trust me so much."

On that note, God Bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
(female)

luckystar HB User
Re: Defiant Teenager - My Story With Words Of Encouragement

I do not have any magical advice sadly. I have 3 kids. 2 NT 18 and 15, and one with AS who is 17. The teenage years are so so so rough with NT kids let alone adding any issues on top of it all.

I am not familiar with any of the meds but just wanted to send a BIG HUG

I do pray things get better for ALL OF US!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Thank you Luckystar for your big hug! That is one thing that I say to people that want to help. Hugs & Prayers!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
(female)

Mira11 HB User

the teen years for our kids can be a roller coaster that plunges to depths that are frightening.

keep in mind that you can call 911 or a mental health crises center if the situation becomes out of control. they will probably take your son to a psych hospital which in the long run might be the best thing to get his medications stable and find a way to manage them. you might want to discuss this with his dr. now as you may be getting close to this point.

does he have a county casemanager on board with these problems?

please keep us posted.

Last edited by Mira11; 03-18-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
(female)

DannysMum HB User

We're all behind you in spirit. Remember we are thinking of you when the rough times hit.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Thank you all for you warm words of encouragemnt and advice.

I did have a heart to heart with my son last night at dinner time, which is when he takes his nightly meds. Thankfully he was at peace & coherent enough to listen.

I spoke to the neurologist again just this morning. Hopefully this new dose of Concerta will be the one. In addition, we are adjusting the Risperdal, taking less at night. We'll see how that goes. Keeping my fingers & toes crossed!
I just want my angel back. Prior to his teen years he was never mean & defiant.

I'll keep you posted!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Hello Everyone!

Keeping you posted. Let me first say that Concerta has helped my son with his anger and focusing issues. However, we're not out of the woods yet. We still don't know what the right dose is. Because, well - he's still a sneaky defiant teenager.

I caught him taking the Concerta last night, to help him stay awake. So right now, once again, his body is messed up. Chemically imbalanced & sleep deprived. Obviously the Concerta is helping him since now he wants to take a drug, but if we can't get the dosage right, we'll have to find another one.

Hopefully I have all the bases covered. I just wish I could get through to him about what he is doing to himself. I'm trying not to center my world around him. I do have three other children & a spouse!

Hats off to everyone taking care of special needs.

GROUP HUG!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
(female)

alesan2 HB User
Cool wow

first of all you are brave and never think that you are not strong.
second wow i commend you i have a 16 almost 17 year old and he is a handful.
and like you i am the only one dealing with his stuff because his dad is always too busy. my so is taking risperodal and depakote but lately his aggression has been getting worse he throws fits about anything and everything you cant say or do anything because it triggers him off. and now we are at the point that he is hitting walls stomping around the house and just going crazy but the problem is that i get told hes a boy and a teenager its normal kid stuff... but its not and i wish people really understood what goes on. i cannot depend on my husband because he lets my son get away with what he wants or he just ends up caving in and giving my son his way.

there is one thing i do at the end of the day just to let my anger out or my frustrations out and that is keep a journal and write everything i feel and think about through out the day and just let it out.

i don't know it that will help but i wish you the best and hey you have a friend here

Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
(female)

Rickysmom HB User

My 16-year-old son was taking risperdal and depakote a couple years ago. I took him off the meds because he was already having a hard time sleeping and it didn't seem to help much.

What helped more than anything I've tried over the years was putting him in a special private school. It has made a huge difference! He isn't angry all the time, I'm not always nagging him about getting his school work done and sitting over his shoulder making sure he's doing it right, and our relationship is so much better now! I don't know if you've ever heard of Sudbury model schools before.

I understand how trying it can be in your situation. I wouldn't want to go back to those days! I'm glad there are places like these we can go for support!

Last edited by moderator2; 04-14-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
(female)

blessedmom HB User

AMEN!!! I feel where you are coming from. There are times I ask God what he sees in me to know I can handle this job. I love my daughter with all my heart but sometimes I feel like running away cause it really hurt me sometimes to see her hurt herself and go through her changes and feel like I can't do anything about it. But I just praise God that he will never leave us alone and there is always a ram in the bush for us. Stay blessed and know that God really love us and think we are special to give us his best and most precious children.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Hello Everyone!

I hope it has been an enjoyable summer with your families.

Since there has not been any stress of school, my angel is back! He has been on Concerta off and on this summer, at 27mg.

Last night we visited a career and technical institute that my son will be attending in the mornings, before his regular school day at the high school. The field he has chosen to go into is Culinary Arts. How fitting - he loves food! It will be really interesting to see if he will keep his uniform and hands clean. I think that will be the only stumbling block. He is full of surprises though!

I pray all of our children have a great school year, that they learn with nurturing & praise.

- My son is still sneaky. A couple of time he said he has stayed up and watched movies all night. His meds are under lock and key though, so that is not an issue anymore. -Who would have thought I'd be using the baby monitor on my teenager to see if he's prowling in the night! (He doesn't know I have it set up in the tv room)

Oh the things we have to do.....

Blessings!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
(female)

Ellie333 HB User

SJS,

Don't send him away. Therapeutic boarding schools are not the answer (trust me, I've been through that with a school that was $75,000 per year). It's not a solution. They are full of unqualified professionals, and keep kids virtually imprisoned, with little freedom. They increase anxiety in kids and cause PTSD in most who are forced away from their families, and treated with kids usually far more serious than them (plus, they will model the other kids' bad behavior). Be patient and steady and help your son to keep taking his medication, make sure your meds stay locked up, and if his medicine doesn't seem to work right, or he's agitated, tell his psychiatrist, and TRY A NEW OR ADDITIONAL MEDICINE/MOOD STABILIZER. My son took Abilify for the longest time, and tried Trilleptal and Tenex, and nothing quite stopped his agitation, but only made things worse. Not until the doctor added the mood stabilizer Lamictal about ten days ago did we finally find that my son felt more himself, and less agitated. REMEMBER: His stimulant is likely adding to his agitation (too high?) so until he is taking the right mood stabilizer and NOT taking additional stimulants at night (that can make one manic!), he will not be stable. Hang in there, and know that you are not alone. Ask your psychiatrist about Lamictal, it's been amazing for my teenaged son. It takes several weeks to reach a therapeutic level, but even after only about 2 weeks, we are noticing a world of difference in our son. Only you can effectively be in tune with the nuances of your son's response to medication. If you ever "send him away," they'll treat him as an unmotivated kid, and won't see his medical issues as truly medical issues. Instead, they'll punish, and you'll wind up with a worse problem than you started with. Remember, ask about Lamictal or something to address the symptoms he has. Best of luck. Ellie

Old 09-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Hi Ellie!

Thank you for your care and concern. My son is here to stay. He is doing well in the career & tech school, and also the high school. He can be a handful at times, and I want to send ME away (to a far off remote island). Otherwise, I'm here to stay & he's stuck with me!

When my son is older, HE would like to live with other young adults in a supportive home. He would benefit with living with his peers while receiving assistance with life skills, job, transportation.... He doesn't like to socialize, but wants to live in a city. We live in the country. One step at a time.

The future is bright

Blessings

Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
(female)

majoma HB User

hello courageous mom, I`am also a mother with a 14 years old son with PDD. He also
on risperdal and adderal. there`s good days and difficult challenges. I share your worries,
and your feeling to be helpess, please don`t because your love will overcome every
challenges ,it take time and hope. i pray our heavenly father and tell to do his will
because he know better that i what to do. and I always in his ways receive a answer.
take care.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Hello majoma!

Let me welcome you to Healthboards! It's nice to be able to share words of encouragement & wisdom on this site & I'm glad you found it!

Thank you for your kind words. I never worry about my son. He us under the Lord's care. All the women in our church are praying for him & they constantly remind me of that fact!

Right now things are going well. Hopefully along the way he will be a more responsible & respectful person. Like a lot of teens, sometimes this seems hard to come by.

HUGS

Closed Thread