It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

4babyluv HB User
autism??????

My 2 year old daughter had a speach assesment in december as she cant talk at all,there was alway signs now i know which is through autism but at the time i just thought she was lazy.
she always seemed good as a baby as she never cried. after her feed she liked to be put straight back in her cot,but never liked to be cuddled held just the basics feeding changing bathing,but then back her cot,as she got older she never babbled never could eat of a spoon and still cant!!! never sat up until she was 15 months old and did not walk until she as nearly 2!!!,
she screams all the time i dont know if its because shes hurt her self or playing or what as her tone is always the same,she get frustrated and bite herself and head butts the wall she dont walk out side always goes to sit,she hurts others around her always biting and pinching for no reason and thinks its ok i try to say to her no thats not nice but she switches of goes blank in the face,shes got no fear climbing on to dangerous things touches things tht can harm her and she dont care,playing is another thing she wont interact with anyone else not even her brothers and sisters just always on her own,she always lays down to play with 2 certern toys and balances them on her feet,she got a thing for dvd cases always touching them and again balances them on her feet,
and so many more other little things that dont add up...hand flapping throwing toys all the time throwing her food on the floor and then eating it of the floor never of the plate, crisps tipping them out on to the floor then eating them from the floor.We went to see a consultant who then assesed her for 3 hours getting her to play with thing read a book or look at the picture even took her out side to see what she does and she still did not walk.
now we have to get a blood test done to see if its something to do with the cromozones dna.but already my doctor is getting thing set up for when she starts nursery in jan 2010.
also we are going on a pecs course to find out different way of her communicateing with me.
its long prosess as im still going to all different places for different assesment and its still along way to go,but facing up to fact that my daughter is different to other kids is the biggest step to take.

Last edited by 4babyluv; 03-23-2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spellings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: autism??????

In the beginning it all seems so overwhelming. All the assessments, who to see next etc. But once the assessements are done it'll all fall into place. She'll get all kinds of therapies that'll help her and you tremendously. It sounds like she may have sensory issues since she doesn't seem to feel things that hurt her so ask for an assessment for that as well. Be patient the changes don't happen overnite and it's sometimes so gradual you won't notice it sometimes then you think oh yeah she hasn't done this or that in a long time. For me some days were so hard that I oftened thought well so what if he's like this it doesn't seem to bother him why should it bother me. But now I'm so grateful that my pediatrician picked it up as early as he did. My son use to be a hand flapper and jump now he only does it when he's excited about something, he would scream if anyone new came into the house or near him or outside the sound of an ambulance would send him onto a tizzy, now he's in a inclusion class in a large public school and making strides in the friends department. My son didn't walk until he was 19 months old and didn't talk until he was nearly two yrs old now he runs every where and won't shut up not even for a bag of money. He's REALLY smart he's at the top of his class.

Just remember that the Dr's know so much more today about the value of therapies and that a diagnosis of Autism isn't the end of the world.

Good luck to you and your family and remember to come back here there are tons of supportive people here who know exactly what your going through and how it feels.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

4babyluv HB User
Re: autism??????

thanks for your support.

Closed Thread