It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
(female)

caza HB User
constipation

hi everyone i have not been on for a while my son is seven and is still in nappies he has terrible trouble with constipation he has not been for six days now i am giving movicol but nothing doing he is holding it back does anyone else have this problem its very distressing for all of us i dont want to take him back to hospital any advice please

caza

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: constipation

Is there any food or drink that you know of that gives him diarreah? If so, that might work to his advantage right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
(female)

anorman202 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caza View Post
hi everyone i have not been on for a while my son is seven and is still in nappies he has terrible trouble with constipation he has not been for six days now i am giving movicol but nothing doing he is holding it back does anyone else have this problem its very distressing for all of us i dont want to take him back to hospital any advice please

caza
I'm much older, 62 yrs old and I have lots of constipation problems. And 7 mos ago I had a rectocele repair due partly to this problem. Sometimes what works for some, doesn't help others. I've tried everything. A nurse told me to eat, bran cereal, a bowl of cooked dried beans, and some type of berries each day plus drink plenty of water. I do somewhat better if I make this my routine. I also take a dose of lactulose [prescription medicine]. Some have great results with miralax...easy to take since it's tasteless. Have you tried this?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
(female)

Mira11 HB User

is movicol prescribed by a dr? we had this problem BIG TIME when my son was your son's age. we tried everything and finally his dr. prescribed something that we mixed in his juice that began to get him more regular. he began to let go of the fear because the medication was softening. i was so glad we got this prescription. i know how terribly frustrating and worrisome it can be and hope his dr. might have some suggestions.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
(male)

cobrapc HB User

Have you tried Benefiber? Mixes up in water, or food. It helps me, but I found anything like this causes VERY RAUNCHY gas.
Jim

Old 04-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #6
(female)

caza HB User

thanks everyone we got up to ten movicol a day doc said go up to twelve then hospital if nothing happened it took six days but we now have gravy if you know what i mean its a real concearn with autistic kids this bowl problem but its all good now [messy] but good till next time thanks again

Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

anorman202 HB User

Hi jim,
Well, not benefiber. but, miralace and metimucil and similar off brand stuff. And I'll take them for days and days, nothing but gas like you've said, so awful! I've even had to take as many as 3 or 4 big Tablespoons .. doses of Milk of Magnesium, which makes almost 2/3 of a cup. Then in about 4 days, I'll go and I'm too loose. A druggist suggested I take stool softerners, I do this too; but, this doesn't seem to help either. I seemed to have the worst, slow digestive system. He said that maybe I've taken too many laxatives; but, I really don't. I'll gave myself close to a wk before I'll do take one, mean while I'll try to add fiber and lots of water to my diet everyday. I have a bad back too and cannot get as much excercise like I'd like and some of my meds are contributing to my constipation.
Alma

Old 06-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
(female)

seeme HB User

Has your child been diagnosed with encompresis? this is very common with children that have autism. Maybe do a search on it and see what you think.

Closed Thread