It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

mysonben HB User
Are these signs of ASD? Please help...

Let me tell you a little more about my 3 and a half years old son, at age 2 he was a late talker, only said about 10 words, instead he pointed at things and used a lot of baby jargon/gibberish. He's always had a passion for cars and trains, he would push his cars along for hours kneeling at the coffee table or on the edge of the sofa. He started nursery at 2 , and enjoys it , he plays alone with the cars mainly, he will show some interest in other play when made to , ie he seems to participate a bit more in activities such as gardening, painting,... when solicited on a one to one basis, he doesn't seem to mind the other kids but he doesn't fully engage with them, only run around and shouts with delight when things are exciting like running in the nursery garden. He copies what the other kids do a lot, and laugh inappropriately when playing, getting excited. He likes to group his toys, and sometimes will line them up but not always. He's not good at sharing things at all.
At home, he 's a fussy eater, never liked very much hard solids such as meat that require lots of chewing, diners are a battle ground he figets on his chair , keeps getting up, and refuses to eat , keeps the food in his mouth for ages until we tell him to spit it out becuase it's been 15 mins !
He's had a lot of trouble with his potty training , it took 6 months to get him clean, he used to poop in his pants , and carryed on regardless until we smelled it. he didn't want to poop on the potty.
Now he is clean but he fusses over the toilet, he will only sit there if it's spotless (doesn't like it if there a bit of tissue left in the bowl), and he keeps locking himself in the bathroom , he likes to shut the doors of the house especially the room he's in.
His speech has improved but there is still a delay, it can be hard to understand his words, and he repeats the same things day in day out, ie: what's that mummy? to which i say It's a red car! then he aks again , i know he knows it's a car ! Why does he keep asking every day. Same thing with noises he keeps asking What's that noise? when a police car or anbulance go by the house, i 've told him the answer 100 times.
He doesn't like loud noises and cover his ears sometimes, or get upset.
His interests are mainly his vehicles, cars, trains, now also boats and planes.
He watches his disney dvds everyday, he can watch the tv for ages, and doesn't seem to get bored with the same dvd. He likes to play with the dvd covers and we 've had to move them out of his reach as everything was getting scratched.
He's a loving boy, and likes hugs , has good eye contact 80% of the time but is easily distracted, and can go into his own little worls where we have to call his name 5 or 6 times before we get his attention again.
He doesn't like rough playing with dad or his bigger bruv , he gets too excited and then starts crying or screaming.
I have not noticed any major stimming, but he can run across the room making all sorts of funny noises sometimes for a while .
My padetrician said Ben is on the autism spectrum , and has mild traits. He will be having a formal assessment in a few months if things don't improve.
Is she right? What do you think? Please tell me of your own children with very mild autism , do they do what my son does?
Thanks for reading this longggg post.

Last edited by mysonben; 05-11-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Anyone ??? I'm at total loss with thinking, opinions from similar situations welcome. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
(female)

mkierce HB User
Re: Are these signs of ASD? Please help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonben View Post
Let me tell you a little more about my 3 and a half years old son, at age 2 he was a late talker, only said about 10 words, instead he pointed at things and used a lot of baby jargon/gibberish. He's always had a passion for cars and trains, he would push his cars along for hours kneeling at the coffee table or on the edge of the sofa. He started nursery at 2 , and enjoys it , he plays alone with the cars mainly, he will show some interest in other play when made to , ie he seems to participate a bit more in activities such as gardening, painting,... when solicited on a one to one basis, he doesn't seem to mind the other kids but he doesn't fully engage with them, only run around and shouts with delight when things are exciting like running in the nursery garden. He copies what the other kids do a lot, and laugh inappropriately when playing, getting excited. He likes to group his toys, and sometimes will line them up but not always. He's not good at sharing things at all.
At home, he 's a fussy eater, never liked very much hard solids such as meat that require lots of chewing, diners are a battle ground he figets on his chair , keeps getting up, and refuses to eat , keeps the food in his mouth for ages until we tell him to spit it out becuase it's been 15 mins !
He's had a lot of trouble with his potty training , it took 6 months to get him clean, he used to poop in his pants , and carryed on regardless until we smelled it. he didn't want to poop on the potty.
Now he is clean but he fusses over the toilet, he will only sit there if it's spotless (doesn't like it if there a bit of tissue left in the bowl), and he keeps locking himself in the bathroom , he likes to shut the doors of the house especially the room he's in.
His speech has improved but there is still a delay, it can be hard to understand his words, and he repeats the same things day in day out, ie: what's that mummy? to which i say It's a red car! then he aks again , i know he knows it's a car ! Why does he keep asking every day. Same thing with noises he keeps asking What's that noise? when a police car or anbulance go by the house, i 've told him the answer 100 times.
He doesn't like loud noises and cover his ears sometimes, or get upset.
His interests are mainly his vehicles, cars, trains, now also boats and planes.
He watches his disney dvds everyday, he can watch the tv for ages, and doesn't seem to get bored with the same dvd. He likes to play with the dvd covers and we 've had to move them out of his reach as everything was getting scratched.
He's a loving boy, and likes hugs , has good eye contact 80% of the time but is easily distracted, and can go into his own little worls where we have to call his name 5 or 6 times before we get his attention again.
He doesn't like rough playing with dad or his bigger bruv , he gets too excited and then starts crying or screaming.
I have not noticed any major stimming, but he can run across the room making all sorts of funny noises sometimes for a while .
My padetrician said Ben is on the autism spectrum , and has mild traits. He will be having a formal assessment in a few months if things don't improve.
Is she right? What do you think? Please tell me of your own children with very mild autism , do they do what my son does?
Thanks for reading this longggg post.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
(female)

Mira11 HB User

hi - your son sounds like he might have mild autism, and he seems to have a lot of strengths. he seems to have sensory issues and some of the social issues that are seen with autism. he does seem like a fun and loving little guy. from reading your post, i think he would greatly benefit from a language based pre-school which would stress socialization and language use, and hopefully occupational therapy with an emphasis on sensory integration needs. at age 3 and with his drs. note, he should eligible for a program like this through your school district.

i have seen kids with your son's description make incredible gains, esp. with these early intervention language based school programs. my son is 21 so i've seen a lot of kids with autism and how they've progressed over the years.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
(female)

therapist1 HB User

Hi. I am a speech therapist and have worked with autistic children for 18 years. Yes, your son has many of the early signs, but also have him assessed for sensory issues. If there is a clinic that does feeding therapy for children, you can check into that also. His refusal to eat specific foods is sensory related. Also have his speech assessed to see if he is apraxic, which means his brain isn't allowing is oral motor movements to produce sounds correctly. The biggest key is to learn how to communicate with your son and stay inside his world. It's not how he speaks, but how he communicates. Hope this helps. If you need any help, let me know. Therapist

Closed Thread