It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

kittygirl1972 HB User
Daughter Biting Herself

My daughter is on the spectrum and turning three in July. Beginning this past February after a bout with a horrible stomach virus, she turned to biting her hands and arms....hard....so much so that she bites the skin.

My husband and I have tried everything from chewy tubes to telling her no to even trying to ignore the behavior. Nothing has been working and our priority has been to protect herself from further harming herself so she wears protective wrist guards. She doesn't bite anyone else...only herself. She bites when frustrated, but also if we are just changing her gloves/guards, she goes to bite. Did anyone have any experience with this and if so, if you have any strategies to share, I'd greatly appreciate.

I've spoken to numerous doctors, therapists, etc. and they claim because she is nonverbal now, she is frustrated and this is what she is doing and will outgrow, etc. I am just desparate for any help or advice - this behavior is so unnerving...

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Daughter Biting Herself

My recomendation is to have a consultation with an occupational therapist who specializes in sensory integration issues. Your daughter may have a deep need for sensory intake and the o.t. could give you suggestions as to what to do at home.

I'm also wondering if there might be some stomach issues going on; even an overgrowth of yeast that could be causing this behavior. A Dr. specializing in autism and gut problems once gave us an anti yeast medication many years ago that was a big help to my son when he was showing very not typical to him behaviors, like trying to bite himself. This could be a shot in the dark, but just a thought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
(female)

Janeann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygirl1972 View Post
My daughter is on the spectrum and turning three in July. Beginning this past February after a bout with a horrible stomach virus, she turned to biting her hands and arms....hard....so much so that she bites the skin.

My husband and I have tried everything from chewy tubes to telling her no to even trying to ignore the behavior. Nothing has been working and our priority has been to protect herself from further harming herself so she wears protective wrist guards. She doesn't bite anyone else...only herself. She bites when frustrated, but also if we are just changing her gloves/guards, she goes to bite. Did anyone have any experience with this and if so, if you have any strategies to share, I'd greatly appreciate.

I've spoken to numerous doctors, therapists, etc. and they claim because she is nonverbal now, she is frustrated and this is what she is doing and will outgrow, etc. I am just desparate for any help or advice - this behavior is so unnerving...

Thanks in advance.

I don't agree with you doctor, my grandson is 3 and does talk and was biting himself when frustrated also.

It may be to soon to tell for sure but since dairy and wheat and gluten free and adding cod liver oil and vit D it seems to have disappeared it has been about 2 months . Plus no more looking out of the corner of his eyes

We are find he has so many allergies , his face and ears get red a short time after eating something that doesn't agree with his system. More adjustments to make with his diet will be on going .

Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
(female)

mkierce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygirl1972 View Post

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
(female)

mkierce HB User

Our DAN doctor said a stomach virus usually triggers yeast. I would get that checked right away. Right after my son got stomach flu he regressed and did indeed test positive for yeast!

Closed Thread