It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
(female)

catmcphatter HB User
autism and learning diabilitiy

what are the differences between autism and learning disabilitiy

Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
(female)

DannysMum HB User
Re: autism and learning diabilitiy

If I were you I would look up 'autism' on the web and find out about what that means. Learning disability is a very general term meaning having difficulty with learning for some reason or other.
Autism causes my son to have a learning disability as his understanding of language, and people, and ..and...(the list is endless!) is very impaired, but this might not be the case with other people.

If you drop down a few more details someone could probably help you out with your issue.

Last edited by DannysMum; 06-24-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
(female)

Toadlily HB User

I am no expert but my simple understanding of a learning disability is a discrepancy in some aspect of learning that affects the child's overall ability to perform certain tasks such as writing, reading, math, speech, memory or other. A child can have superior test scores in most aspects of performance but have one ability come in below average. That discrepancy causes a learning disability.
Autism deals with other issues such as sensory, behavior, and communication.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmcphatter View Post
what are the differences between autism and learning disabilitiy
Autism is a developmental disablity. This means it effects more overall functioning then a learning disability. A learning disability typically effects one aspect of a person ability to function. Such as they they are unable to read or comprehend what they read. Perhaps math is a something they are unable to grasp. It is a specific subject matter.
In autism, the overall functioning is impaired. However, there are splinter skills , meaning a person does have strenghs, that can be very big. Such as memory, Art skills. However, the same person has no idea of telling time, what day it is, endlessly repeats and obsessess over topics that he is only interested in , flaps his hands when excited, spins around in circles outside, talks way too loud, in a monotone voice , and is easily angered. This is a person who is on the high end of autism. I just gave you an example of what my own son is like , he is nearly 16 now. My nephew is learning disabled, and 3 year younger then my son. My nephew is far more advanced then my son! It hurts me to know this! However, moy son has cognitive delays as well. I do not realise the difference between the two, until I am around my nephew , then I can tell .

Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
(female)

candace81505 HB User

I saw something on TV that explains autism and the birth defects it may cause when taking zoloft or any other antidepressant while pregnant. Has anyone else heard this?

Closed Thread