It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
(male)

vidbal99 HB User
what could this be? very long // pls help

lease help : very long : could he be autistic?

Pending diagnosis by neurologist. Have evaluation in 10 days by state

Twin boy 21 months old :bilingual :Twin sister dominant and needs lot of attention

Twin daughter is cute and more social then the boy. So, all visitors pick her up all the time than him.
He is a shy guy.

Things of concern for autism for my twin boy
======================================== =====
Doesn't respond to his name( although listens when warned)
has eye contact when he wants
does't point (Today, we blew some bubbles and he was pointing to the bubbles to pop them)
He is fasinated by alphabet and numbers and tries to identify/recite them most ofthe time

he walked by 1 and crawled by 5 moths

He is fasinated by alphabet and numbers and tries to identify/recite them most ofthe time in the house/malls , etc
======================================== ======================================== =============
Could the following be the reasons
1.Twin competition
===================
My twin daughter tries to be more dominat. Both my kids kow they all capital letters and numbers, some colors ad

shapes
Neighbour's family visited us oneday. They were writing the letters for my daughter to identify.
As and when she was answering them, they were thrilled ad were appreciating her a lot.
he tried to join thm but was pushed by her in front of all of us. I know he was sad.
Did it affect him and his confidenc?
Is that why he is repeating the numbr and color for appreciation?

2. Env
==============
whole of first year, we did not take them out a lot( winter ad too young)
This is the first summer I amd taking them out on a regular basis. To engage them during winter, I played DVDS a

lot (brainy baby ovr and over).

Also, I startd takig them down the stairs (we live on third floor in out bld). To make it easy for me with both of

them,
I would encourage tem to count the stairs.
I
Also, the first I them in the swing (park), I swung them and said numbrs (1..2...3) to practise their number.

So, now whenever we walk the stair on the swing he keeps saying his numbers.
Even during out walks on the road, I would say rhymes or numbers to engage.

Imagination
=============
normally has milk in his sippy cut.
Today we gave him chocolate pediasure, he looked at it like what is the color diff and drank it.

normally likes to put the straps of the high chair by himself on both sides. he likes it mor like a game
somedays he tries it by standing on the floor.
This particular day, he straped 1 side ad was having a tough time on th othr side,
so he climbed up and sat on the high chair all by himself and put the other side

We take him out for a walk and stuff.
Enjoys the whole time and the moment he says the gate of our house he doesn't want to go in

When I get dressed to go out , he wants me to pick him

When I say come to mamma, he comes to me runnig witha huge smile on his face

Today, we blew some bubbles and he was pointing to the bubbles to break themnnn

Vocabulory
======================================== ======================================== ===================================

========

Identifies and says
================
banana
orange
apple
barney
ball

says
=====
hi waves bye-bye hello barney
pac in native lang is milk(pal)

said these words once in the last 2-3 days.Not sure if they are meaning ful words
======================================== ======================================== =
swing slide go
baby pac
red clock sky duck truck

identifies 95% of capital letters
knows and identifies 1-10 ( 7 as seventeen) and can say till 20
identifies few shapes ( tri, rec, oval, heart, circle) sometimes crescent
identife red, purple and orange colors
recites rhymes 1. twinkle
2. itsy bitsy oder
3. Five litle monkeys
4. Johnny Jonny
5. can finish some natice lanhaage songs [ 1- 10 in telugu ]
Knows 95% of ABCD song

Knows days and months

sibling comptitiion:
when sitting on LAP
when playing

likes books === turns pages of the book

When I say " I love you", says barney

TV
====================
1. change dvd, switch off tv,
2. engrossed in watching his fav dvds
3. smiles when kids in tv smiles, laughs when he finds it funny,
4. nudges me with the remote to start the dvd,

CAR
=====
listening to music in car. giggles when kids in the the lullaby dvd giggle

Loves ABCD song

Eating
=======
eats wih hand, fork and spoon
likes spegatti
does not sit in high chair now
latch

playing
==============
Chase game runs, kicks ball, slides realy well, climbs monkey bar, tries to establish eye contact with other kids

in the park

When we tickle his tummy and suff, laughs a lot and has great eye contact,
Enjoys swing
Plays and fights with his twin sister
can repeat basketball & tennis plays & uses phone
climbs stairs on his own using rails
Moves from one toy to another.
He plays well with thetoys . Some turns the wheels. for less than 10secs and moves on.

recognitioin:
======================================== =
Very happy seeing his dad home
looing at photo - he looks at people in the picture (did this once)

bathing
============
Tries to bath himself with the mug

new developments
==================
He seems more responsive and happy when w take him out.
Has more eye contact

Lately, he is identying stuff god related.

for eg :
when I say "om", he looked at god's picture

Others:
sometimes seen grindling teeth [ Mom's bro & sis were grinding teeth ]

health:
rashes
want to nibble on blanket, paper(tissue), towel
Enjoyed rides in the beach
Was a little hesisant to walk in the sand ( first time thhis year)

very scared

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: what could this be? very long // pls help

hi - that's quite a rundown of what your son is all about. my first reaction was: make sure that when someone praises the other twin that he is allowed to receive the same praise, even if you have to say "and, you did such a great job too" or something like that. he does sound like he could use some more attention and that possibly his twin is a bit jealous and does try to grap the attention, which i'm sure is normal. maybe engage them in the same activities and exclaim how nicely they are BOTH doing and then say their names individually. so try to equal out but make sure he gets tons of praise.

he seems to be quite verbal which is wonderful. he seems to be very intelligent which is also a strong plus.

just from reading your post i am not sure if this is shyness vs. mild ASD and that it is good that you have the neuro evaluation. either way, he surely has a lot of strenghs. just keep piling on the praise and attention and try to also do this during joint activities. and make sure that visiters give him attention and praise too (tell them ahead of time if you need to).

you said he is very scared; this is something that my son had also. what kinds of things is he scared of? for my son it was loud noises, or unpreditable sounds or noises that could come out of nowhere (truck backfire, care horns, music); change of routine - he is 21 now and he is still most comfortable when he knows the routine of the day or of an acitivity.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
(male)

vidbal99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira11 View Post
hi - that's quite a rundown of what your son is all about. my first reaction was: make sure that when someone praises the other twin that he is allowed to receive the same praise, even if you have to say "and, you did such a great job too" or something like that. he does sound like he could use some more attention and that possibly his twin is a bit jealous and does try to grap the attention, which i'm sure is normal. maybe engage them in the same activities and exclaim how nicely they are BOTH doing and then say their names individually. so try to equal out but make sure he gets tons of praise.

he seems to be quite verbal which is wonderful. he seems to be very intelligent which is also a strong plus.

just from reading your post i am not sure if this is shyness vs. mild ASD and that it is good that you have the neuro evaluation. either way, he surely has a lot of strenghs. just keep piling on the praise and attention and try to also do this during joint activities. and make sure that visiters give him attention and praise too (tell them ahead of time if you need to).

you said he is very scared; this is something that my son had also. what kinds of things is he scared of? for my son it was loud noises, or unpreditable sounds or noises that could come out of nowhere (truck backfire, care horns, music); change of routine - he is 21 now and he is still most comfortable when he knows the routine of the day or of an acitivity.

Thanks a lot for the prompt respons. I will def try what you said. I am already trying a couple of them
"Very scared " ... What I meant was I am very scared of the whole situation.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

2000airedale HB User

I also have boy/girl twins, almost 5 years old, much like you described (very sociable girl, more withdrawn boy). My son has mild ASD, and from what you have listed so far, if your son does have mild ASD or Asperger's, he sounds much milder than my son. I would go through the evaluation with the neurologist and the Early Intervention people, and if you are still concerned, request an evaluation by a developmental pediatrician. In my experience, they are the best qualified to diagnose ASD, especially milder cases. My son's neurologist completely missed that diagnosis, as did his ped. The problem is that in my state, there is about a 1 year waiting list to see a dev ped, so it might not be a good idea to get on the wait list if you are concerned. The good signs are that he doesn't appear to have much of a language delay (though maybe some issues with pragmatics) and that he seems to be engaging with you. My son also made eye contact and responded, but only on his terms, when he wanted to. Meanwhile, your son might benefit from floortime therapy. Also, even though my son is very visual and craves DVDs/TV, we have learned we have to limit it, as he really perseverates on it. My son has to earn that privilege through socially appropriate behavior. Good luck--I remember the time before my son's diagnosis as being one of the most difficult times.

Closed Thread