It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

Motherof3boyz HB User
Question Question for single moms

I'm going through the process of leaving an verable abusive husband. I have 3 boys. Two of them have autism. One is high functioning and one is low. They both have eatting issues.They do not eat a hole alot of different foods. I'm worried that I wont be able to support all my boys on my own. The eatting issues make thing harder because I have to cook more then one dinner. I'm just wondering there are any other single parents out there that have a child with a special need, and how they manage with there child?

Thanks,
Motherof 3 boyz

Old 06-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
(female)

Kimmykim HB User
Re: Question for single moms

Hi there.. I'm a single mom to 1 little boy who is 3.5 years old and high functioning autistic.. He is one of the pickiest eaters alive I kid you not! He eats the same foods all the time and has his favorites.. Will not touch a vegetable or fruit with a ten foot pole unless its on pizza or in yogurt! LOL

I feel your pain!

My son has recently started occupational therapy and we are working on his food issues there... Its slow moving but its moving.. All I can tell you is to always offer the food, whether they try it or not is besides the point, just keep offering it.... My son actually picked up a blueberry at preschool the other day, put it in his mouth and bit down!!! he of course took it right back out, but hey, its progress!
good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

Concreterose HB User

Hi there,
I'm the single mom of 2 kids dx with autism.My 10 year old son is high functioning and my 6 year old daughter has classic autism.
My ex husband left us two years ago for another woman(and the fact he said that our life didnt turn out "right" with the kids") So after kicking him to the curb,I hired a scary blood thirsty divorce attorney.
Long story short,when you have "exceptional" children the child support goes through the roof,and since I have been a stay home mom since day one,I get alimony.It sounds harsh but doing this on our own would be impossible.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
(female)

Mira11 HB User

I am not a single mom, but wanted to make a comment. Like the prior poster said, you are entitled to a lot of support. Be sure you have an attorney who is willing and able and knowledgeable about the special needs to get you what you deserve.

Are there O.T.'s in your kids's school? They should be able to help with the food issues. That's fairly common with ASD.

Last edited by Mira11; 11-06-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

hi there,
I am a single parent , with a child who has autistic disorder. I have raised him since day one. He is now 16 yrs old. ANd alway been extremely picky at eating. However, what he likes, he will eat a lot of it. I do think it is a good idea to at least try and offer different foods to your special needs children, and give them the same kinds of foods you wold like you do your other kids.
Sometimes , when making meals , you can try and mix in the food, and the child can't even taste the different food that is in there. My son has never even liked what you could say what every kid likes. Such as hot dogs or macoroni and cheese , he never has. i do not think it is right to make a child eat something he despises , no matter , if he or she is autistic or not.
I agree that it has always been a chalenge to provide a balance diet of of foods that my son will eat. and not always the same type of food, always. I would think after this long he would tire of it, but, no. but, keep trying. Fruits , are are a lot easier than vegetables . but I too believe it has to do with the texture . More than the taste.
My son prefers cripsy tpye of foods then soft , and mushy . That is just a sensory issue. maybe OT could help your children .

Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
(female)

blumoonchick HB User

My oldest son is about to be 13 in feburary and he was diagnosed with PDD/NOS when he was like 7. My baby boy is 10 years old. He was recently last month diagnosed with A.D.D.
My oldest has his favs too. Knowing him the way I do I keep alot of sandwhich meat in the frig. He will eat that by itsself. I am raising them on basically disability alone. I got my divorce when my kids were younger and it was before the diagnoses were ever made and I had no help then I delt with it soley on my own for years. What I did with mine and still do is.... i fix what one likes alot of one night then switch it up. but like i said before i try to keep things like box of corn dogs in the freezer stuff they come to a happy medium on. Some nights my oldest son just dont wanna eat so i make sure he least gets a snack before bedtime. I hope this helps.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
(female)

jujubean7929 HB User

my husband and I seperated for a year when my daughter was 6 months old. I was scared to death. It was hard but not has hard has i had feared. I just took one day at a time stuck with what worked and adjusted what didn't (sometimes several times till i found somthing that did worked) Also I had heard on the radio..I never had to try it but it always stuck with me and reminded me it was ok to go against the norm to survive.... No matter what the one thing a single mother will always need is more time and if that means letting your kids sleep in the clothes they are going to wear tomorrow just to save 10min, do it. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I know this is a little bit of an older thread , however , I just wanted to let the person who started the thread , that I am a single mom too. I have raised my son now for over 16 years alone who has autism.
I also , suffer from mental illness . It is extremely difficult at times . My best advice is to allow your family members and friends to be there for you.
Take advantange of places such as Regional Centers . They can help you with respite services , and more programs for your children , all paid through them.
Your local school district has support services too. Look into them. Always remember you are not , and NEVER alone .

Closed Thread