It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
(female)

krystolyn HB User
Post three year old won't sleep!!!

I have a three year old with autism and he does not sleep through the night. He can wake up early(7:00am) and be active and take a nap at 6:00pm, sleep for 4 hours and won't go to sleep till 3:00am or later in the morning!! sometimes he does not take a nap, and he still has this problem. He has too much energy- and it's not from sugar!! My husband and I have tried everything, but it doesn't work!! It's impossible to put him on a schedule!! It's making me tired and left feeling drained out or I can not fall asleep due to being up too long.

Is there any hope?

I need advice on what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: three year old won't sleep!!!

Yes, there is hope. We had a similar problem and I asked my son's Dr. about melatonin, and he began taking it nightly an hour before bedtime and it helped a lot to relax him enough to fall asleep and stay asleep for a normal amount of time. I don't remember dose anymore, but your Dr. will hopefully give you some suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
(female)

04seb05aly HB User

I know exactly how you feel I have a 5 Year old who is the same way and we are struggling to get him on a scheduel for school and I can tell you it is not easy. We also have a 4 year old daughter who is also autsic and she has no problem getting to sleep.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

Mama2JRC HB User

My son is 9 with autism. We used to wrestle with sleep issues. We were up until 1 or 2 in the morning with him every night. We started giving him melatonin when he was 3. At 9 (he only weighs 50 lbs) he takes 2.5 mgs every evening 30 minutes before bedtime. He goes to sleep independently, and wakes on his own about 10 hours later. Sweet! We still have the very occasional early morning wake up at 5, but it is maybe once every 2 or 3 months.

Ask your Doctor about melatonin. We get ours online from Iherb.
We used to use the orange spray when he was a preschooler, but now we use the peppermint pills by Source Natural. He says they taste just like a mint.

Donna

Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
(female)

vicky jazmine HB User

i had this problen when my daughter was smaller. i spoke to her gp.he perscribed her with meitomin. she now sleeps from aroun9 till 6. thing were sooooomuch beyyer 4 me' good luck and sweet dreams lol

Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Irregular sleep habits and patterns can be associated with abnormal seratonin levels in the brain.
This is true of anyone that can't get to sleep, or stay asleep.
Make sure he gets enough amino acids. Barleans makes a wonderful liquid form in lemon, strawberry, or berry. It is in the refrigerated section of a good food store that carries health & wellness products.
The lemon actually tastes like having pie!

Once you start, it does take about a month to see full results, but our bodies are so laking good amino acids. We don't exactly eat fish everyday!

Closed Thread

Tags
confused, sleeping, tiredness