It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

worriedtoo HB User
do you think this is autism?

hi - just wanted to see what anyone thinks about these behaviours:

my friend has a 2 and half year old and i suppose i suspect that he has some sort of issue or behavioural problem. i am just interested to see what other people think... this is why:

he was late to walk - about 20 months.. he has "some" speech now but it is sometimes difficult to understand what he is saying and i have only ever heard him say words one at a time... he does recognise things... like if he see's a ball he will say "bor, bor, bor" repeatedly until you respond... likewise with "busssss, busssss, bussss" sometimes he adds "mummy" to the end. But in general it is single words no sentences or asking or telling you about things. if you say a word he will copy anything you say.

he has a very bad temper and has had since about 8 months. he hits his mother - she has struggled constantly with trying to change him. he pulls my little girls hair and often pushes her or hits. He also throws sand, dirt, stones, toys, books - throwing things has also been a big issue for some time.

i don't think he plays with toys appropriately... we have some shelves with boxes of different toys ie. balls in one, bricks in another, cars in another... he does not really play with any of them appropriately - just moves them into the one box... and back again etc.

he seems to enjoy rough and tumble, chasing and bouncing - he has always bounced since he could stand... repeatedly and very quickly on the spot bouncing. .. and waves his arms about too.

if you tell him off for anything - he takes great offence.. frowns at you - eyebrows down... tends to throw himself to the floor and then hide his face... occasionally peeping to see if you are still watching.

at toddler group he runs around chasing the other kids but quite often the mum finds him just laying face down on the floor silently crying - soon as mum gets there he wails inconsolably.

eating has always been quite an issue too - he will not let you help to feed him. as soon as you try he turns his head and refuses to eat so you have to put the food on the fork and leave it on the side of the plate. but he cannot spear the food onto the fork himself.. he seems to have poor co-ordination or understanding of what to do. he refuses to eat most fruit and/or vegetables but will wolf down chocolate and crisps as if there's no tomorro. he often keeps food in his mouth just chewing and chewing.

he is very scared of the hoover.

he does not like messy play and does not use crayons appropriately.

if he has an ice lolly he refuses to hold it himself. he keeps making mum hold it for him and wants her to hand-feed the lolly to him. if she tells him to do it himself there is a massive tantrum and if she takes it off him completely he goes absolutely mad. this happens with other things too. you think he doesn't want it so you take it off him (and often the mum eats it herself) and he goes nuts!

finally when he runs he seems to swivel from the hips... like he is twisting to the left and right with the top half of his body.. and his feet look like they go outwards.

there are lots of other things too.. does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: do you think this is autism?

i'll ask you a few ?'s to get a better picture: does he make eye contact when he is requesting something or talking or in general?

does he get very upset when an activity is over or when there is change in a routine?

a lot of the things you describe can be typical of the two's. he might have a language delay but, do you see him using language to make requests?

the fact that he lays down on the floor and takes offense and then peeps out shows definite social awareness.

he may just be in the two's and have some sensory, overstimulation, possible language delay issues. I don't see this as autism, but then this is just an answer from reading a post. it would be very helpful for her to have him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician and also to see if speech therapy would be advisable. or a child neurologist for an evaluation. there are early intevention services that might be very helpful for him, even if he does not have autism, which i'm thinking he doesn't.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
(female)

worriedtoo HB User

thanks for your reply...

regarding the eye contact he quite often seems reluctant to look at you and holds his head right down as if by doing that you cant see him... when he requests something he usually just repeats the word of what it is over and over whilst reaching out in the direction of the thing he wants so yes he does request things with single words..

he is in a very strict routine and to be honest it is stuck to by the mum day in day out - she has had several phases of having trouble with him going to bed (to the point he will cry and then cough until he makes himself sick) she then comforts him because he has been sick - so i think this could just be bad parenting. the bedtime routine has had to be rigidly stuck to to avoid upset since about 8 or 9 months old.

yes when an activity that he enjoys is over he gets very angry... however generally it is very difficult to actually get him to sit and complete any kind of activity. if though you tell him it is time to get off the trampoline (even after hours) he generally throws a tantrum.

i am glad you have said you don't think it is autism as i was thinking that myself... but some of the things he does certainly would lead you to think he has some sensory or behavioural issues or . it is so hard trying to tell the mum though that i think it is more than him just being a "terrible 2" - i am sure he has other issues which are contributing to his actions / "bad" (as some say) behaviour. i think if mum understood that there may be underlying issues then he would get the help with development etc at an early stage to help him... but she is adamant that he is "just a boy" "just the terrible 2's" etc

he has been like this from a very early age though and she does often mention his behaviour / lack of speech / tantrums / lateness to walk etc but when i say "maybe you should talk to the health visitor" or "why dont you ask about speech therapy" she says "oh no i'm not concerned" " i'm reeeaally not worried" etc. but i think she must be to keep mentioning it.

it is such a shame because if he could get the help and some advice on how to HELP him develop or talk more then i know that the earlier the better. i just can't understand the harm in asking a proffessional or self referring to speech therapy? if it is "just normal behaviour" then surely they can tell this and no further referrals would be required? if they DO say there is a problem he could get help asap thus also helping the situation?

anyway thanks again for your relpy it is nice to talk to someone about it x x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira11 View Post
i'll ask you a few ?'s to get a better picture: does he make eye contact when he is requesting something or talking or in general?

does he get very upset when an activity is over or when there is change in a routine?

a lot of the things you describe can be typical of the two's. he might have a language delay but, do you see him using language to make requests?

the fact that he lays down on the floor and takes offense and then peeps out shows definite social awareness.

he may just be in the two's and have some sensory, overstimulation, possible language delay issues. I don't see this as autism, but then this is just an answer from reading a post. it would be very helpful for her to have him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician and also to see if speech therapy would be advisable. or a child neurologist for an evaluation. there are early intevention services that might be very helpful for him, even if he does not have autism, which i'm thinking he doesn't.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
(female)

Mira11 HB User

yes, i agree it certainly wouldn't hurt for him to have an evaluation by a developmental ped. or child neurologist. and speech therapy would probably be good as it would open some doors of language processing for him to be able to express himself better and thus lessen the likelihood of the frustrations and tantrums.

and yes also, there could be some sensory things going on that are causing the behavioral issue and this is where early intervention programs can be so helpful. i see you're in england; don't know what if offered there, but i'm sure something. i hope your friend at least asks her pediatrician for an evaluation to see if referrals are advisable.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi there,
Is this your friends first child? If so , then it is very difficult for a first time parent to recognize anything different or possibly "off" about thir own todder's behavior from other todders . In the parents eyes the toddler is perfect. No matter what.
You are a good friend for trying to help her see that their might be something going on in her toddler's behavior that is a concern. However, I agree a lot of what you have described is typical of a 2yr old boy. Boys sometimes are slower in speech development. Especially if their is not any siblings in the home the baby can pick up the language faster. Tantrums are common bcause the toddler does not have the language skills to express his frustrations . At this age he is going to be egocentric, seeing himself in the world only. Not wanting to share or anything . Again very normal behavior, as well as the aggressiveness, only becasuse of the lack of language. However, this needs to be intervened by adults. In a positive , direction, not negative. The child needs to be guided to a different activity , distracted. Not forced into a "say your sorry" or spanked. He can't comprehend what he has done to deserve such a negative response from the very people he trusts to care and love him.
Your friends child might be reaching the developmental milestones a little later then his peers, however, still on target for his age group. He just needs more positive direction and guidance . And a whole lot of patience from the adults in his life.
If his parents would like to pursue a evaluation from a developmental Ped. they can. If it gives them piece of mind . You can also suggest that they spend more time reading picture books with their little baby, and let the toddler lead . becasue what intersts the baby will maintain his attention for longer periods of time. Again it is very normal at this age for a 2 1/2 yr old not to have a attention span for more then how old they are . Since he is two in a half, the best you can hope for is 2 1/2 min attention span ! If the preschool teacher, parent or any other adult wants anything more ten that, then she needs to work with the toddler slowly and gradually, building up the time from 2 1/2 min , to a little longer each time .
I taught preschool for over 20 yrs, and have a degree in Early Childhood Education . In the U.S

Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
(female)

Mira11 HB User

mscat - i'm glad that you agree with my thoughts that this is most likely typical two year old behavior of the wide range that one can expect or see in a two year old boy. as the poster described him, i didn't see autism in her description, more of a two year old who hasn't quite gotten the language yet but is on the road.

after reading your response, i don't even think a developmental ped. or child neuro is needed either. i would leave it up to the regular ped to ask the right questions and make the referrals if any are needed. i just think he's probably right there in the range of what's typical for being on the cusp of learning language and the frustrations that accompany it.

to the original poster: try to be real positive with the boy and maybe even sit and try to read some fun and appealing toddler books with him if you do spend time with him. keep us posted.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi Mira,
I do agree with you. Jowever, I still believe that if the parent or a close friend involved with the family has deep concerns for their toddlers development and can talk to the parents honestly and openly aboout it, then the parents of the child may feel they want to proceed in a professional evaluation. I always think that the parents know their children the best , or sometimes , need somebody to point it out to them . If they feel it necessary then for their peace of mind , Yes . The toddlers Ped. is not always the best one to turn to because she/he is not always looking for certain deatils that the parents/friends see in everyday life. So a good talk with the Ped. would be in order , to obtain a referral, if the parents would want to pursue any further evlauations for their child at such a young age. A lot of groth and development happens in 6 months of times . From age 2 1/2 - 3 yrs old.
When teaching , I always observed the children grow tremendously in 6 months time frame no matter what age bracket , from 0-5 . Those are my most favorite years of teaching in ECE.
Having my son who is on the autistic spectrum and having cognitive delays as well, has taught me a great deal . I have seen so many very young children with autism with different degrees of it, and as my son has become older have had the opportunity to see other children grow up with autism as well, just like my own child. No two children are a like either. My son is considered high functioning, even though he has the cognitive delays. That makes him seem like a much younger kid then he is. At 16 yrs old, he behaves more like a 8 yr old . However, has a body of a big kid. He has his obsessions , and lacks the social skills, a very concrete litteral thinker, and has extreme rote memory skills. As he puts it, he is onto dates of actors and actresses, movie dates. Talks only about his own intersts. And forever talks about them. Over and over none stop . He goes to a SDC class in H.S out of town . He is gone all day from 6:30am- 5:00pm . My son was DX at the age of 3 1/2 .

Last edited by mscat40; 08-21-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
(female)

Mira11 HB User

mscat - so are you suggesting that this friend if she does have these concerns should or should not talk to her about a referral to a developmental ped. for an eval? it seems like you were saying one thing, then the opposite the next sentence away, so i am not sure what you are suggesting.

i still feel talking with the ped. is the first step. therein lies the referral sources which may be necessary for insurance purposes anyways.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira11 View Post
mscat - so are you suggesting that this friend if she does have these concerns should or should not talk to her about a referral to a developmental ped. for an eval? it seems like you were saying one thing, then the opposite the next sentence away, so i am not sure what you are suggesting.

i still feel talking with the ped. is the first step. therein lies the referral sources which may be necessary for insurance purposes anyways.
Sorry for the confusion, I , maintain what I have tried to have said in 2 posts. Yes, have the child taken to a developmental ped. This having to be done by the child's ped, a referral is given first.
For my son, he was old enough to have a evaluation done by the local schol district, + by my insurance that covered a neurologist appointment, psychologist , speech therapist, OT, blood work, and then follow up work by a child psychatrist , + he was admitted to a special needs program for preschool children 3-5 yrs old .

Closed Thread