It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
(male)

apr2112 HB User
Voice regulation

I have a 11-year-old son who is classic Aspergers. One feature of his behaviour is the low ability to regulate the tone of his voice, i.e. he talks quite loud all of the time and constantly needs reminding that he is talking too loud. Does anyone know of a particular strategy or therapy to help develop his ability to regulate his voice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
(female)

onemarinemom06 HB User
Re: Voice regulation

Try explaining to him the difference between an 'inside voice' and an 'outside voice'. My step-daughter has the same issue, and we usually have to remind her sometimes but once we do she will start using her 'inside voice' and the loudness goes away.
Hope this helps.
Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
(female)

Cathy01 HB User

Brings back memories. My son just had to be reminded over and over to use inside voice...It finally started to work after years of reminding.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Hi there, i can totally relate here. Of course I have a 27 year old sister whom has an load outside voice. Long story short. She is living with me now after several other approaches and instead of going to a place i was not sure she belonged! We are trying to regulate her behavior after years of her not wanting to except the word know as a hardship. When you say years what do you mean? I am going to research her behaviors and see what i can come up with, such as after twenty seven years of her negative behavior how long will it take to turn it around after being harsh on the word no and such? Thanks to anyone who can relate and give advice!
monkey

Old 09-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Speech therapy might be helpful. Especially if you can find a speech therapist who is familiar with autism spectrum disorders.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

kehorner, thanks for the reply. I talked to her today and let her know we were going to work on a quiet voice in the house and maybe once she gets her new hearing aids it might be even better, than she could hear herself talk and know how loudit is!
monkey

Old 09-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
(female)

RoxyJuliette HB User

I have Aspergers and have had problems with voiceregulation (as well as talking to fast, a little to high in pitch, and slurred). Had constant sore throat from all of this. I went to a speechtherapist and it worked extremely well, all these problems almost completely disappeared.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
(female)

lovingnoah HB User

My son, who's 8, does the same thing. I've taken time when it's just the two of us to practice our "yelling voice" and our "talking voice." It doesn't always work... but when he starts using his 'yelling voice', i will point it out to him and remind him to use his 'talking voice.' It seems to be working.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #9
(female)

pkalways HB User

Hi,
I have mild aspergers and i dont think there is anything you can do about that. Apart, from reminding him that he is talking a little too loud. As for anyone around who might be listening...it really isnt any of there business what your son has to say unless it is directed at them. Of course, sometimes it can be

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
(female)

dabner HB User

People with Aspergers respond to VISUAL queus. Help him come up with a subtle hand signal that you or his teachers can to to let him know to turn it down. Works great with my AS son. We make a "V" with the index and middle finger, but turn it upside down - because we want his voice volume to go down (his idea).

Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

It feels comforting that their are other families out their with the same issues. My son has always seemed to have struggled with this> However it typically occurs when he is talking about something he is excited about. He also talks in a flat, monotone voice.
I just say to him to talk quieter. He does not even realise his voice is so loud. He than ends up talking so softly nobody can hear him. LOL. It is difficult for him to regulate his voice , or even understand what it means. But, he tries when we tell him he is too loud.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
(female)

okudaisi HB User

in case if no one has mentioned this already your son is a visual learner which means he needs to see something and then map it to the experiences he already knows. you need to use visual aids, the five point scale system is a classic strategy, you do not need to buy any books as you can do a search on google and it will come up with the resources you need, all you need is a printer and a laminator. the five point scale stems from 1 to 5 , one being a wisper, three being talking normally and then five being to loud, each number is colour coded, if he is shouting you show him that he is speaking too loud and to use a number 3 voice ( a talking voice) here is a link to start you off..

http://ici2.umn.edu/elink/graphics/asds3/Incredible%20Scale%205%20Primary.gif

Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
(female)

TerryJ2 HB User

Hi,
my son does that when his meds wear off. And he shouts in an angry way. It is so hard not to respond the same way!
I always say, "Are you shouting?"
Of course, he shouts, "NO!" LOL.
Practice, practice, practice.
And if that doesn't work, I'd agree w/kehorner that you could use a speech therapist.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr2112 View Post
I have a 11-year-old son who is classic Aspergers. One feature of his behaviour is the low ability to regulate the tone of his voice, i.e. he talks quite loud all of the time and constantly needs reminding that he is talking too loud. Does anyone know of a particular strategy or therapy to help develop his ability to regulate his voice?
Develop with him a hand signal or something like that that you can use to remind him when he needs to lower his voice. That way, you don't have to embarrass him in public and it will be your "secret" signal to him. It can be tapping him on the shoulder, lifting a finger, clearing your throat or whatever you two agree on. Then practice until he learns to recognize the signal. You may need to use a small reward at the beginning and give him a plastic chip every time he responds to the signal. He can then exchange his chips for a small reward at the end of the day or the week. It can be done. It just requires work, practice and forming a habit.

Closed Thread