It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

tikkileo HB User
Update on son

Hi
First thank you to all gave their support .
Got results back from the Neurologist.He has PDD-NOS .Semantic-Pragmatic deficit syndrome and has recommended we use prozac in small doses to help with his anxiety (still reading about medication choices) Some of the stuff the Dr said was a big eye opener for us and explained how our son see the world and why he gets so anxious and acts out so much stuff i had never thought of before and makes me feel i let my son down not getting him help.How he sees the everything as a big surprise and it scares him.We never noticed that he never asked Why things happened and because of this we just assumed he knew .Also that he has no concept of time when we say in a minute to him it feels like a long time.That he takes every think literal and to be the truth.So all of us are trying to reeducate so we can communicate with our son in away he understands and provide a surprise free home.But we are unsure how to do this hes in Kindergarten and the school is providing speech and OT to help with his motor skills which are very poor.So again I'm asking for any advise available ,on the use of Prozac with 5 yr olds,Semantic-pragmatic disorder(i had never heard of it before) and where to go next?
a very confused Mom

Old 09-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Update on son

hi - prozac is small doses can be very helpful for anxiety; dr. sounds like he knows what he's doing. of course all of our kids are different but i hope it helps him.

for my son, no surprises is the best way too. try to give him "social stories" to explain what is about to happen next, where you will be going, go into detail about it. if a change is going to happen, talk about it a lot ahead of time. give him a lot of predictability about what is going to happen, where you're going to go, what you're going to do, who is going to be there, etc.

build in options: either this will happen or maybe that will happen if you're going someplace that you are not sure about what will happen yourself. just explain everything you can ahead of time to your ability.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

tikkileo HB User

Thank you Mira for your support .Its nice to see a positives response to the medication . We told family members last night and as soon as we mentioned the prozac it was instant disapproval.One family member after i explained a few things went and did the complete opposite and caused him to have a complete meltdown after which he shut down and started a new thing of grinding his teeth which he did for a solid hour.their reply was see the medication isn't working so he dosent need it.hes just a bad behaved child .I explained then that it takes awhile in his system we wont know for a week or 2 ,I think they finally understood but the damaged was done.How do you explain this to family ,siblings he has 4 older brothers and sister,

Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Can I just recommend that he be watched very closely for sudden behavior changes. I've noticed that my son s very sensitive to meds and had a reaction to allergy meds. It was very gradual that I didn't notice the behavior change until he started having problems at school. He also suffers from anxiety a great deal especially in school. I started sending a stress ball with him just a small ball that he can keep in his pocket to squeeze when he feels anxious and I've told each teacher what it's for. He knows it's not to be used as a toy. I have found that it's impossible to prepare them for every little encounter and it's really stressful to try to. I do my best to prepare him and apologize when things don't go as planned. It'll get better as he gets older.

You could try to get additional sensory integration therapy at a sensory gym I working on that myself for my son. The more aggressive you are in making it clear with the powers that be that your not going away until you get what you want and need for you son the quicker you get what you want. Don't get me wrong it takes lots of phone calls and meetings but in the end you'll get there.

Most of all don't beat yourself up how were you to know I happened to luck in to an early diagnosis because of my amazingly observant pediatrician who I am thankful for. Otherwise I would've kept listening to every one who said don't worry he'll d this or that at his own time.

Good luck deep breaths

Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkileo View Post
Hi
First thank you to all gave their support .
Got results back from the Neurologist.He has PDD-NOS .Semantic-Pragmatic deficit syndrome and has recommended we use prozac in small doses to help with his anxiety (still reading about medication choices) Some of the stuff the Dr said was a big eye opener for us and explained how our son see the world and why he gets so anxious and acts out so much stuff i had never thought of before and makes me feel i let my son down not getting him help.How he sees the everything as a big surprise and it scares him.We never noticed that he never asked Why things happened and because of this we just assumed he knew .Also that he has no concept of time when we say in a minute to him it feels like a long time.That he takes every think literal and to be the truth.So all of us are trying to reeducate so we can communicate with our son in away he understands and provide a surprise free home.But we are unsure how to do this hes in Kindergarten and the school is providing speech and OT to help with his motor skills which are very poor.So again I'm asking for any advise available ,on the use of Prozac with 5 yr olds,Semantic-pragmatic disorder(i had never heard of it before) and where to go next?
a very confused Mom
Hi there,
My child has many of the same issues as you described in your son. What I had done that helped my child understand more clearly about things, was to explain in detail to him. Explaining to him in simple terms so he could understand . This just came easy for me to do. I worked as a teacher of young children, before I found out that my son was on the autistic spectrum.
He also has a huge problem of sense of time, telling time, and unable to go at a normal rate of speed. He makes us late for everything, because he never is ready, even though he knows we have to leave, he is still never ready. the ore we tel him to hurry up, it seems like the slower he becomes. This is so frustrating!! However, I know he is not doing it on purpose .with the lack of understanding of time, or telling time, it is frustrating.
Your child may have some sensory issues going on too. By what you had written. Did the Doctor mention any of this to you? Certain sounds, textures, smells, and touch , can be extremely aggravating to him. It could be some of why he is feeling anxious , or uncomfortable.
Any antidepressants in young children have risks. IMO, I would be very cautious using any of these types of medications in a 5 your old. Their are other medications that can help a child calm down, and feel less anxiety.
Low doses is to be expected because of his age and size . I would not want my 5 yr old on any type of antidepressant though.

Closed Thread