It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
(male)

Merenwenrago HB User
Hello

ive got asperges syndrome and 23 if anyone wants to ask me questions i'll try answer them

Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
(female)

Cathy01 HB User
Re: Hello

How are things going for you? Have you encountered things that were hard to overcome? Do you tell people, after you've gotten to know them that you have Aspergers or just to a chosen few?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
(male)

Merenwenrago HB User

I tell most people who notice i'm different to others that i'm aspergers and to ones i asked. I did inform my bosses and all my family about it so they understand where i am coming from. I feel its worse if you keep it inside than if you share it.

Things which are hard to overcome are normally remembering daily routines like brushing teeth and bathing

I have been trying to start eating new foods and so far finding that i like them. I normally always would stick one food type of food group like toasted sandwiches.

Something which was hard to overcome was keeping motivated for my drivers liscence driving liscense. Had to redo it 7 times almost gave up on 3rd but thanks to my mom i carried on and finished it.

I managed to overcome my fear of interviews seem to do fine with it now.

Another thing i'm still lacking in is that i hate water e.g showers, pools etc. and getting dirty (cant walk barefoot on dirt or grass)

When i'm at work I normally feel awkward eating by people when its lunch so i normally sit alone in my office and eat.

In Conclusion things are actually going quite well with me now. Got 2 Jobs which are perfect for my aspergers got quiet room to get on with my work with accounting so dont have to interact with customers if i dont want to.

Last edited by Merenwenrago; 09-25-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hi welcome to the boards and thank you for being so open to sharing your experiences with us.
My son is going on 8 not officially diagnosed with Aspergers but will be eventually. I was wondering if the anxiety ever subsides a bit. His seems to be his biggest stumbling block while in school in large places the overwhelming noise is a challenge for him he seems to just not be able to cope, and think straight he no longer has melt downs because of it he just seems frazzled. I worry as an adult that he won't be able to manipulate his world.

thanks for any info
Regards

Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
(male)

Merenwenrago HB User

anxiety in aspergers never goes away but there are coping mechanism for it. Keeping them occupied with something reduces the anxiety in asperges.

Way i do it is to stay away from malls and stuff when I do shopping or I go at quiet times.

The school i chose was a small school so wasnt too much business around. What also helped was having a computer room i could use at lunch time so i didnt have to go on busy playground.

Also when he gets to age of starting a job he should choose a small workplace with quiet room to keep busy in with no distractions. Although mixing with other people helps with learning life skills and the way people react with body language (Worse in some aspergers mine is only mild can read some body language).

How many people in his classroom and where does he sit in it?

Forgot to add i get frustrated with everything everyday but still get through the day with distractions

Also get him to do a few hobbies boredom is worst enemy of aspergers people
Also theres alternatives to schools. If you know a friend whos teacher or you got time you can home school his education.

Unfortunately none of the education approaches never worked for me, but might work for him

Last edited by Merenwenrago; 09-26-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Closed Thread