It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

Liz Cook HB User
Just a little overwhelmed

I could go on and on for hours about what i am stressed about but really that isnt going to help anyone here let alone me i just got my carpal tunnel fixed so shouldn't risk all the typing and your eyeballs would get all dusty from staring at the screen and then that would probably end up with me getting sued for eye cleaning costs... but i digress.

I have been an on again off again user of this forum for years now. I have a son who is 8 who is Severely Autistic (really low functioning), Moderately MR, Nonverbal, Seizure Disorder, and seems to be growing into psychotic episodes involving hallucinations as he gets older! OY! And if that was not stress enough! I have a 3 and half year old who has just been diagnosed with Autism (severity as of yet specified) and then I also have a insane neurotypical (possibily on the hyper side) 2 year old. These things I can mostly cope with but the appointments and scheduling and services and meeting and blah blah blah have been a bit much lately.

My Husband of 8 and half years was diagnosed with High Functioning Asperger's Syndrome this month and that was about it for my stress level. We KNEW! Mark had Asperger's since we found out about the condition after Isaac got diaganosed but since we got the DIAGNOSIS its been all too concrete and I have felt more isolated than I have in a long time. It use to be Mark and I as a team working for Isaac, now it's like Mark is on Isaac's team and I am way out in left field! I know its a passing phase and Mark and I will sync up again, we always do, but I just feel overwhelmed... again. Sometimes when you are supporting everyone around you, you need a little support yourself and a good ear to bend!! So greetings to all and thanks for reading. Just knowing that someone listens (or in this case reads) helps me feel a little less out of the loop!

Liz!

Last edited by Liz Cook; 09-29-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Just a little overwhelmed

hi - think of it this way: your husband is still the same person you've been married to and weathered storms and joys with for so many years and the fact of the diagnosis doesn't change that, so try to be encouraging for all of you get back on the same team again. the wind has probably been knocked out of his sails a bit, but hopefully in time you'll find each other on that same track again.

i would also rec'd that you contact your local office of developmental disabilities, get a caseworker and see if you can get some respite care supports for your kids so you can have some down time for yourselves. i did that when my son was young and it made such a difference to my energy level and outlook.

Closed Thread