It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
(female)

Libbyloujo HB User
Unhappy The good son

Hi there, don't really know if this is the correct site for me? However i have a son with broad spectrum Autism, adhd & ODD.(oppositional defiance disorder)
Oh yeah i got the works!!
Well just want to know if there's anyone out there with the same type of diagnosis? It's an incredibly, hard and difficult life for me and my family and of course my son & his siblings. From shocking temper tantrums and physical violence, as well as verbal, to erratic emotional outbursts of tears and screaming. Not wanting to go to school, and his latest is pulling his pants down, for no reason?? HELLO!!! I was very concerned at first and after much probing for info.. realize this can be a characteristic of his diagnosis. He is 8 yrs old now, but we've endured this since the delicate age of 2yrs.
Just want to know if i'm alone?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: The good son

Your family would benefit from the involvement of a good behavioral psychologist to work with your son's issues. His Dr. or whomever diagnosed him should have some referrals for you. Also depending on the causes of the violence and tantrums, he might benefit from an evaluation for medications at this point. He definitely needs some interventions and as in our situation, meds and behavioral interventions from trained professionals have helped a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

Libbyloujo HB User
Unhappy Re: The good son

Thank you Mira11,
you are the only one who replied to me...all the way from America!...Always wanted to visit.
We are under a private Paediatrician (cost a fortune!!) and also a private Clinical Psychologist..and he has speech & OCC therapy. And he is on medication a drug called Proxadine? (anti Anxiety) and also Strattera for Adhd. But unfortunately this helps, but does not cure or improve the ODD. My biggest concern for my son is that one day ..when he's older.. i'll visit him in prison. He..to me displays symptoms to more closely. to C.D (Conduct Disorder) Yet it amazes, that he can appear this delightful little boy during assessments, displaying only limited issues. I've come to the point where i've had to start videoing the outrages he/we experience. The biggest problem is i have a teenager who is so over it! And a little toddler who cries when my 'special son' (everyday) spits it! It breaks my heart,that this little boy has to be so affraid of his older Bro...And i might add, starting to mimic his behaviour.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

Libbyloujo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbyloujo View Post
Thank you Mira11,
you are the only one who replied to me...all the way from America!...Always wanted to visit.
We are under a private Paediatrician (cost a fortune!!) and also a private Clinical Psychologist..and he has speech & OCC therapy. And he is on medication a drug called Proxadine? (anti Anxiety) and also Strattera for Adhd. But unfortunately this helps, but does not cure or improve the ODD. My biggest concern for my son is that one day ..when he's older.. i'll visit him in prison. He..to me displays symptoms to more closely. to C.D (Conduct Disorder) Yet it amazes, that he can appear this delightful little boy during assessments, displaying only limited issues. I've come to the point where i've had to start videoing the outrages he/we experience. The biggest problem is i have a teenager who is so over it! And a little toddler who cries when my 'special son' (everyday) spits it! It breaks my heart,that this little boy has to be so affraid of his older Bro...And i might add, starting to mimic his behaviour.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi there,
Is your son also acting out at school? and other places ? It is not just at home? I ask this important question because a child whois truesly having significant behaviral problems will exhibit them everywhere he goes, it will not be isolated to , say his family home, or school. If he is acting out just at home, than their lyes the problem. Family intervention is necessary. Family therapy , and ways to learn to deal with the child's behavior, giving him real consequences , to his behavior , nipping it in the bud as soon as it happens , 0 tolerance for the behavior , and so on . Will need to happen.
However, if the child is acting out everywhere he goes and is totally out of control , nothing is working to calm him down. He needs to be evaluated in depth. Although he already has diagnoses, something else needs to be done in order to deal with his behaviors. A behavior plan .
Are their any special schools that deal with children who have behavioral problems like your son's? Extra support , and modeling good behaviors is what your child needs.
He is still young, please try not to think the worst about him. In The States we have school programs for children with behavioral problems . Pershaps where you live their are some too?
Early intervention is vital.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
(female)

Libbyloujo HB User

Hi there,
Thank you for your interest..you are right , and yes he does display his issues in public...so much so that since he was about 3yrs, our social life almost came to a halt! Alot of my friends did not want there chilldren copping my sons behavoiur or experiencing his tantrums..which were pretty bad. As a family we understood this although it has taken some years to get used to , and hard not to put blame on our child for changing our life in such a way that people don't really want to come over..and we are rarely invited out. When my eldest boy has a friend over..it is pure hell, and quiet often his friebds say...no...you come to my house..to stay over, so they dodn't have to experience my "good son's' behaviour.
Breaks my heart for my other children it's been soo hard for them
My husband and i, are next considering a brain scan..to find out what is maybe not working or is over stimulated in his brain??? We are grasping at straws, but we'll keep trying.
Regards Libbylou

Old 10-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Can you talk with the school psychologist about behavior programs within the school district. Your situation sounds like your son would benefit from some intense behavioral intervention in a specialized school setting. If he is affecting the lives of your other sons so strongly, I think some real changes need to be made. And yes, video the outbursts and have them to show to the psych when asking for possible school placements for him.

Closed Thread