It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User
crying

hello all. it's been a while since i've posted but need some advice regarding my sons crying. he is 8 years old and still cries at the drop of a hat when things do not go his way. up unitl now we didn't think much of it because little kids do cry but he is getting too old for this behavior now.

any suggestions....we try to reason with him and he says he will try but he starts crying before we even get a chance to talk things thru.

i don't want him to be made fun of at school either as he tends to do this everywhere. kids are cruel enough to typical kids but throw a child with some issues into the mix and it's a recipe for disaster.

thanks for any input.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: crying

yes, i do have a suggestion. we had the same thing and this is about when i took my son for an eval with a child psych and it was discovered that there was depression going on and medication was prescribed. it helped him gain insights into his feelings a lot better and years later he is not on the depression meds but ones for anxiety instead. i can't say which came first, the anxiety or depression but medications have helped him tremendously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

thanks for you reply mira11 but medication does not really apply to my son. he does not have outbursts (where i would assume) he would have a chemical imbalance thus need meds. he just simply uses crying as a crutch to "get over". i am just trying to get him to realize that he is getting too old for this technique. crying every time he is faced with something he doesn't necessarily want to do is not going to float.

he is a very happy boy....especially when all goes his way.

Last edited by MOM23ANGELS; 10-25-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
(female)

Mira11 HB User

well if you think he's not depressed, then the best thing i think would be some positive behavioral reinforcement. at times when he's not crying, give him good positive feedback and try to not give a great deal of attention to the attention seeking crying. in time, he may realize it's better to simply cut out the crying as it's not achieving the desired goals!

Closed Thread