It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

jackson2008 HB User
early signs

Hi. I am trying to find information on the early signs of autism.

My son is 12 months old and is very social and affectionate, with no noticeable problems making eye contact.

He does have significant language delays (described below). Also, he is generally not responsive to his name, and never has been. He does at times look immediately when someone calls his name but more often than not we have to clap, whistle, knock, or make some other sound to get him to look at us. Once he does look at us he is usually all smiles and will interact with us 100%.

He began babbling between 9 and 10 months but never progressed to mama, dada, or any other words. We have recently seen a significant decrease in the amount of babbling he does (although he does still babble, just noticeably less frequently). Also, we used to be able to be able to get him to "parrot" back to us when we would babble to him, which now he never does.

We have had his hearing and ears looked at by an audiologist and ENT (prompted by his lack of responsiveness to his name/voices). He did have some minor hearing loss when he was about 6-9 months old due to fluid and ear wax but it has resolved.

He's on track or ahead with all of his other milestones (walked at 11 months, good gross and fine motor skills).

Our pediatrician is concerned but would like to see where he is at his 15 month checkup.

I guess my question is whether a language delay and a noticeable lack of responsiveness to his name or voices are unlikely/possibly/likely early signs of autism in a young toddler who is also very social and affectionate.

I know it is far too early to even start diagnosing him. I am more looking for a sanity check -- my son just seems so different from the descriptions I have read about autistic children.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can give here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: early signs

I agree with the ped. that's it's probably too early to make any conclusions especially since your son is so affectionate and happy. Does your baby imitate when you wave bye-bye?

I will tell you that even down the road if there is a mild autism diagnosis, there is so much that can be done with early intervention. Since he is so social, I would imagine that some early speech therapy work would yield great results for him. Do some reading on the internet about early language development and you'll probably get some good suggestions.

Does he like to be read to? This is a good way to emphacize words and be able to interact about the words. Very easy, board books with a few words on the page and colorful pictures might be appealing to him.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
(female)

weeble1225 HB User

It is early to be able to tell. I will say that sometimes i read things like this and immediately have a feeling and I don't in this case.

SOME EARLY QUIRKY SIGNS-THE ANSWER THAT WOULD BE CONCERNING

does he use your hand almost like a tool or pull you to things he would like-yes

does he seem to understand or use pointing -no

If you call his name followed by cookie or park(etc.) does it get a more sure response-no

Does he seem to have any repetetive behaviors like flipping tabs on toys back and forth or turning wheels or propellors on toys around and around-yes

If he is really into an activity and has to stop it does he seem to throw a fit out of proportion to the problem or be very hard to calm down from said fit-yes

are any of his babbles in an odd voice(high pitched, sing songy, too loud or soft)-yes

does he seem generally interested in what is going on around him most of the time-no

does he seem to try to imitate facail expressions and everday activities-no

can you see any indication that he shies away from powerful stimulus(bright lights, loud noises, strong smells, certain textures of food) just one or more-yes

Any of these may be a mere quirk and at his age he may just not be doing things yet so it is very hard to tell at this age but if you keep these things in mind as he develops it may reassure you or concern you. I have tried to include things that might be apparent in a young baby. By no means will all of these signs be in one child and one or two don't mean a problem it's kind of a matter of degrees. These are really more things to watch so you can discuss it more accurately with his ped. on his next checkup or even better stop having to worry. Good Luck

Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear Jackson,
I know that this is very concerning to you. I agree that it's still to early to tell what your son has. I'd be more inclined to look at a language delay than autism. The fact that he makes eye contact with you is a good non autism sign. The fact that he's met most of his milestones is a good non autism sign. The fact that his fine motor and gross motor skills are good are a non autism sign.
I agree with the poster who said to look into delay language development resources.
Hang in there and let us know what we can do to help you.
Peggy

Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
(male)

eskuriad HB User

12 months may be early, but might check into what is called The Listening Program. It's a series of audio CD's that somehow re-wires how the brain processes audible sounds. It has helped our 4yo.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
(female)

cyr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson2008 View Post

My son is 12 months old and is very social and affectionate, with no noticeable problems making eye contact.

He does have significant language delays (described below). Also, he is generally not responsive to his name, and never has been. He does at times look immediately when someone calls his name but more often than not we have to clap, whistle, knock, or make some other sound to get him to look at us. Once he does look at us he is usually all smiles and will interact with us 100%.

He began babbling between 9 and 10 months but never progressed to mama, dada, or any other words. We have recently seen a significant decrease in the amount of babbling he does (although he does still babble, just noticeably less frequently). Also, we used to be able to be able to get him to "parrot" back to us when we would babble to him, which now he never does.

We have had his hearing and ears looked at by an audiologist and ENT (prompted by his lack of responsiveness to his name/voices). He did have some minor hearing loss when he was about 6-9 months old due to fluid and ear wax but it has resolved.

He's on track or ahead with all of his other milestones (walked at 11 months, good gross and fine motor skills).

Our pediatrician is concerned but would like to see where he is at his 15 month checkup.

I guess my question is whether a language delay and a noticeable lack of responsiveness to his name or voices are unlikely/possibly/likely early signs of autism in a young toddler who is also very social and affectionate.

I know it is far too early to even start diagnosing him. I am more looking for a sanity check -- my son just seems so different from the descriptions I have read about autistic children.

hi mate, i so know how you feel it does sound a bit like autisim but i would not worry yet. if you touch him when he is not looking at you does he get a fright? does he seem to panic alot (it is very hard to tell, he is so young). all you can do is keep a diary of the things he does and start seeing a peadatrition on regular basis. i take my son who has been dianosed with aspergers, adhd and anxiety since he was 18 months old and i take him every 3-6 months he is now nearlly 7 years old and the battle continues but don't stress yourself, by the way how does he sleep? my son slept through the night when he was almost 4 years old yep that is years!!!! good luck

Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

My son has a diagnoses of autistic disorder , along with moderate mental retardation.
I was a single mother back then. Now, looking back at these early signs of autism I can see them. He had a blank stare to his face , a lot of times. However , also would smile too at times. He learned to wak on his toes though. Which is a very early sign something is neurologically incorrect. He was very hyperactive, and did not talk in full sentences until the age of 6. He would repeat the last 2 words someone said to him at the age of 3 . His hand flapping and flicking his fingers in front of his eyes started at around 3 .
He sometimes had eye contact ,sometimes did not . I do remember when he was an infant he would arch his back and stiffen up when someoneone picked him up.
Anther very early sign something is not right . If I were you go with your gut instincts. Parents know best. His hearing may or may have not been affected at a ealry age.
MY son was alway s sick with ear infections and green snotty noses. Until he had his tonsils removed and adnoides, then tubes placed in is ears.
If it helps ask for a referral to an ENT , just to make sure that is not interferring with his speech delay . 12 months is very young. Enjoy him , and try not to worry .
my son is now 16yrs old , and of course has autism , but he is verbal. And is smart in different ways . no matter what I'll always love him unconditionally.
mscat

Old 04-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson2008 View Post

I would not be concerned about an autism diagnosis because one cannot be made at this point in time. However, I don't think it is too early to look at language and what you can do to stimulate the development of language in your child. See if you can be hooked up with a speech pathologist who can do an early assessment and let you know if there is anything you can do to increase the response to his name, etc. The earlier the intervention the better. The ultimate diagnosis is not as important right now as treating symptoms or delays. But what you describe does not sound like autism.

Closed Thread