It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

shandonishu HB User
is my 9 year old autistic?

My 9 year old son Brady, has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He does stemming all the time. I didn't even know what that was called until two days ago. He is the model child at school, no problems, good grades. But he is destructive, angry, abusive at home. He is fine, unless he gets his own way. He would love to play on the DS for hours if I let him. He has to have a certain toy at all times when he is home. He has it when he is stemming. If he doesn't have the toy, or if something happens(lost), he flips out. His speech was delayed when he was a baby. He didn't talk until 2 1/2 years old or later. He is violent if he misses his pokemon cartoon. He can't stand change. He doesn't like to be dirty. His chair at the table has to be free of crumbs, as well as his chair in the van. He doesn't like the feel of some fabrics, like jean material. Last year he wrote chapter books, with 20-30 pages about pokemon and starwars. His IQ was tested and it was 116. He complained of screaming voices in his head when he was 3 or 4. He couldn't understand what the voices were telling him. He always hits, kicks, screams when he is angry or doesn't get his way. We have four children younger than Brady. They are very much affected by his behavior. Two children are stuttering, one is showing signs of depression, and our baby just screams when he is around. Our phsychologist wants to put him in a group home, but we(my husband and I) don't think this is the right approach. Is there any medication he could be on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: is my 9 year old autistic?

I don't know what stemming means,but I have complete empathy for your dilema.I hope you will find someone who can give you some help,without having Brady go away.There must be some doc. who knows something to medicate him,to keep the family together.
I will pray with all my elderly heart,that you will find some peace of mind. Thank you
for allowing me to hopefully contribute at least my love. Bill

Old 11-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

He sounds very much like he's on the spectrum. I wouldn't say he's truly AUTISTIC, but perhaps Asperger's or possibly PDD-NOS (but he sounds too high functioning for that.)

My dd is much like him. She is diagnosed Asperger's as well as "Ring of Fire" ADHD and "mood disorder-nos." I had my dd (she is 12) evaluated at a clinic who uses SPECT scans to evaluate blood flow in the brain to help in forming a diagnosis and treatment plan. My daughter now uses a couple of meds and is doing much better.

You might want to check out the Amen Clinic online. We went to an associate of his in Dallas.

Your son in no way sounds like he is appropriate for a group home. IMO, you need a new psychologist who is willing to work with you all, just not "eliminate" the problem! There is help out there, but you will have to do A LOT (as in thousands of hours) of research, reading and learning on your own so you can find the best solution for your boy.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

Mira11 HB User

It is very important to have the right medications for your son. Bipolar disorder must be medicated to alleviate the destruction and anger he is showing. He could potentially be dangerous to your other children.

What medication/s is he presently on? I know a bit about meds from the years that my son has been on them.

Your son sounds like he has Asperger's along with the bipolar disorder. I have heard on several occasions of these two disorders occurring together.

This is not easy to say, but I can understand where the psych is coming from. In all honesty, your younger children might be at risk for being hurt. Bipolar disorder with the behaviors you describe could make him blow up and become very aggressive and with the Aspergers too, the potential to blow up is much greater. I am so sorry you are going through this, but in the long run, it might even be easier for your son to be in a setting where he himself would have more control over his environment and not be so prone to upsets. With three younger children, there's so much going on and I truly would worry about their well being. They are already being affected and perhaps a group home would give him the opportunity to be in a setting with staff to help him but not have the confusion of younger siblings. I have seen this work for individuals like your son. Sometimes it is necessary for the younger kids safety.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I am very sorry about the difficulties your having with your son. What does the psycholgist say about autism ? It is very hard to say with your son who has a diagnoses of early bi polar disorder .
I would be taking my child to a different DR, and to a child speicalist , or behaviorist . Is your child taking medication to control the Bi Polar ? He ought to be ? Because this is a serious mental illness . It is not going to become any easier for him or your faimly if he is not getting the medications he needs to help him control his mood swings.
What bothers me is that you do have younger children in your home to protect and care for too, and if they are in any kind of danger then this needs to be taken into serious consideration.
you and your husband will need to weigh the pros and cons on this one. I do not have the answer for you. Their are many things going on with your child, and autism is a very complex developmental disorder. What kind of stemming does your child do? I am familiar with this behavior.
mscat

Last edited by mscat40; 11-15-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
(female)

Jar24 HB User

it sounds alot like schizophenia.

Closed Thread