It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
(female)

wayconfused HB User
can you develop autism?

i was just wondering if you can develop autism or if you are born with it? Would it be possible to be born with autism and not show signs of it until you are older?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
(female)

SocialWorks HB User
Re: can you develop autism?

I think that people are born with it. Many people with Aspergers have it all their lives but the definition tends to look quite different in every day life. There are people who grow up in environments where they are not taught to be critical or ask themselves questions related to their own senses on top of being around family and friends that have no interest in asking either.

The signs are always there... it's just a matter of identifying them in different social contexts...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User

well, there's actually a debate on that.
they say either a child is born with it, or they get it from a vaccine.
personally, i think vaccine. my 17 year old sister has severe autism. she was diagnosed at age 4. before that, she was very talkative and social. about 4 months before she shut down, she got a series of shots before she went to pre-k. then, the shut down. and now, she's got like an iq or 55. only says 5-10 words, in one-three word sentences. it's sad
Anxiety

Meds:
Adderall XR, 30mg/2x a day

My sweet baby boy was born: July 12, 2010
~*RJ*~

Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

point08 HB User

Plain and simple Autism is caused by vaccines.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Autism is still a medical mystery. Scientific Research is leaning more towards a genetic link towards autism, meaning that family genes , and heritage it can be discovered autism was somewhere in the genetic family history of one or both sidees of the parents.
autism is not new. it has been around for years . People do not develop autism , however, in milder cases of this developmental disability it can be diagnosed at a later age in some people.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
(female)

alwaysonthago HB User

To me this answer is simple as well, that being that the main cause for autism being vaccine ingredients. I have personally been doing my own research on the topic for over 5 years prior to my (only) son being born and I encourage anyone who is in doubt to find out if (any) child in question has recieved ANY vaccinations and I am so confident I would die for my cause if you found an edverse answer!!!

Last edited by alwaysonthago; 12-26-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
(female)

salgie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayconfused View Post
i was just wondering if you can develop autism or if you are born with it? Would it be possible to be born with autism and not show signs of it until you are older?
hi,,, my son is 22 and has aspergers. He was developmentally delayed as a young child and had difficulties with his speech. He was so incredibly sweet and i adored him. He was so loving and loved playing with other children...never any kind of behavior problems. After or during middle school he become a new person that could not communicate or look anyone in the eye. As the years go by he has become increasingly worse. He is now someone i don't like in the least...he absolutely hates me. We cannot have even 1 minute of dialogue...he will never be able to go out on his own so i will be forced to spend the rest of my life with him living here...he doesn't even have one friend and i don't think he ever will..it is hard to feel sorry for him because he is so mean.. He thinks of himself as brilliant and everyone else as stupid so there is no way you can advise him on anything no matter how simplistic...i know i made this longer than i had intended but i have often wondered about how this happened... He did not display any of the negative aspects of aspergers as a child..i feel lke my child died but there was no funeral...i sit and watch the old videos and cry...

Old 01-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
(female)

OKeenan HB User
Lightbulb Re: can you develop autism?

My sister is 22 as well and has autism, and I found this site that really helped me. Look up Eden Services. I hope it helps.

Last edited by OKeenan; 01-22-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Wayconfused, yes, it can start at a very early age, probably we were born with it. Many of us just look quirky during our lives. We don't even know how different we are, since we rarely pay attention to how others do things. I didn't discover my own Asperger's until I was in my 50's, but looking back, I had all the signs, all the problems, all my life, but had learned to minimize them and come up with a lot of creative "work arounds". I learned social stuff the hard way, by always being "wrong" and "inappropriate" in pretty much any social situation. So by the time I entered counseling in my 30's, I had a long string of behaviors that "didn't work for me". My problems were a combination of dysfunctional family stuff plus the Asperger's. The dysfunctional stuff got worked on beginning in my 30's, the Asperger's problems weren't addressed until my 50's, and getting a new psychologist. I attended 12 step programs for many years, observing what worked, what didn't, learning new skills with a group of other people who were also addressing "relationship issues" and had poor people skills. This helped me immensly, as I didn't feel like I had a target on my back anymore for always being the one who was "wrong". I learned enough so now I can "pass for normal" much of the time. My thoughts haven't changed - only my reactions and what I verbalize. So I always feel like I'm in a play, reading some else's lines, because "MY" lines don't fit in the play. This makes socializing very wearing, because I have so many "governors" on my thoughts. The only times I can be totally honest is with a group of others with Asperger's, and with my psychologist.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Sorry, had to interject. My sister in law has Autism (low-mid functioning). She was NOT vaccinated. Her parents were opposed to vaccines. Case closed. I have a HFA son. I can trace the Autism on both sides of the family to generations that were around before vaccines. I am not saying vaccines are benign. But this mentality of blaiming them for all manner of neuro problems that have existed, but were not labled, since antiquity, is a bunch of hogwash.

Regards, Brenden.

Last edited by Exegesis; 03-09-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Exclamation Re: can you develop autism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
Sorry, had to interject. My sister in law has Autism (low-mid functioning). She was NOT vaccinated. Her parents were opposed to vaccines. Case closed. I have a HFA son. I can trace the Autism on both sides of the family to generations that were around before vaccines. I am not saying vaccines are benign. But this mentality of blaiming them for all manner of neuro problems that have existed, but were not labled, since antiquity, is a bunch of hogwash.

Regards, Brenden.
I am in total agrement with you , Breden . IMHO , Autism has a genetic link , and is yet to be know excatly what it is . As to many disorders and conditions , that are being by scientists , someday soon they will know for certain what is causing these terrible developmental disorders.
i DO KNOW THAT FAMILIES can be traced back in their history of having more then one person with autism . That speaks volumes to me. Their has be be a link to autism espeically when it is running in families for generations.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Hi MScat,

Thanks for your words. There are even cases in biographies (Samuel Johnson comes to mind) where the biographer was noting bizarre tic-like behavior that clearly smacked of OCD. At the time, they would have referred to someone like that as "eccentric".

Regards, Brenden.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
(female)

TerryJ2 HB User

Wayconfused, it's most likely both, sort of like breast cancer. We are born w/certain genes, but depending upon on environment, the genes are not always expressed. That explains why many people living in the same environment do or do not develop cancer, or autism.
If you live in a toxic environment, say, next to a mercury spewing industrial plant, you're going to end up w/something, and your kids could end up w/something else.

In regard to vaccines, several European countries have done away w/thimerisol, but Denmark, for example, still has a high rate of autism. Part is genetic and part may be because they have diets high in fish ... which contain mercury.
Japan does not have as high an autism rate, but they also have a diet high in fish. They live in a different part of the world, the oceans are different, the fish are different.

In regard to kids who develop immediate and severe reactions after immunizations, yes, I would say that those specific cases point to the vaccine. But overall, they are few and far between. There are way too many NEW cases to say it's just vaccines. There is something else going on. We are still learning.

Also, it can look like someone has "developed" autism when they are a teen, but in fact, they always had certain traits but people let them get away w/it because in kids, it's cute. For example, lots of people have SIDS, and take off their shoes and clothes. Cute for kids, NOT for adults, LOL! Kids fly under the radar and you don't notice it until they are older and out in public. Also, kids can get away w/tantrums. Adults cannot.

BTW, no company will ever admit to "causing" autism. In regard to vaccines, it would put our govn't out of biz. (The pharma industry already has a legal slush fund for such things.) It would also put soda and juice mftcrs out of biz since their high fructose corn syrups contain mercury preservatives. It's everywhere.
Married 31 yrs, 18-yr-old NT daug in coll, 13-yr-old Aspie, adopted 2 days old. Poss mood dis. LD but only 1 gr behind; priv school; wheat/gluten-free, milk-free diet; Adderall, Imiprimine, Clonidine.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
(female)

TerryJ2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgie View Post
hi,,, my son is 22 and has aspergers. He was developmentally delayed as a young child and had difficulties with his speech. He was so incredibly sweet and i adored him. He was so loving and loved playing with other children...never any kind of behavior problems. After or during middle school he become a new person that could not communicate or look anyone in the eye. As the years go by he has become increasingly worse. He is now someone i don't like in the least...he absolutely hates me. We cannot have even 1 minute of dialogue...he will never be able to go out on his own so i will be forced to spend the rest of my life with him living here...he doesn't even have one friend and i don't think he ever will..it is hard to feel sorry for him because he is so mean.. He thinks of himself as brilliant and everyone else as stupid so there is no way you can advise him on anything no matter how simplistic...i know i made this longer than i had intended but i have often wondered about how this happened... He did not display any of the negative aspects of aspergers as a child..i feel lke my child died but there was no funeral...i sit and watch the old videos and cry...
Salgie, why don't you cut and paste this note and start a new thread so we can all repy to you? I'd love to talk.
Terry
Married 31 yrs, 18-yr-old NT daug in coll, 13-yr-old Aspie, adopted 2 days old. Poss mood dis. LD but only 1 gr behind; priv school; wheat/gluten-free, milk-free diet; Adderall, Imiprimine, Clonidine.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
(female)

UhohKris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyofone0508 View Post
well, there's actually a debate on that.
they say either a child is born with it, or they get it from a vaccine.
personally, i think vaccine. my 17 year old sister has severe autism. she was diagnosed at age 4. before that, she was very talkative and social. about 4 months before she shut down, she got a series of shots before she went to pre-k. then, the shut down. and now, she's got like an iq or 55. only says 5-10 words, in one-three word sentences. it's sad
That's actually a "conspiracy theory" that back in 1989 the vaccines they came out with gave a lot of children autism as an experiment.

Closed Thread