It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

Emma19791997 HB User
My son has Spectrum Disorders

I have found out couple of months ago my oldest son who is 5 yrs old but mentally 2 or 2.5 yrs of age has Spectrum Disorders. I am at lost of even knowing what to do. He is going to two different schools one is full time P.T,that he goes in the morning, and the other is earily childhood. But my question is what can I do when he gets home that I can work with. I do not know or how to even get started. I am so at lost. Please if anyone knows anything about this if you could let me know what really works, and what don't. I have heard that he may out grow it. I know it is so fusturated to see him like this but one main thing is he's a happy little boy

Last edited by Emma19791997; 12-17-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
(female)

aurora1992 HB User
Re: My son has Spectrum Disorders

well personally i would say the best thing u could do is any stimulating play, the early learning center is good. start with the basics learning through play e.g jicsaws pictures ect. work with his mental age not his physical age, you know what he is capable of work on that and work on improving it, it would be better for him to make routines, eg. my brother used to have a picture plan of what he was to do everyday eg brush teeth wash face get dressed.all in pictures to gain a routine. i finding it hard to explain :P i may have to email links or something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

Mira11 HB User

hi - first of all, it's so good to hear that your son is a happy child; that is wonderful and very important thing for his life.

it's wonderful that you want to do so much for your son and he will and i'm sure already has benefitted from your strong involvement with him. i would suggest going on google and typing in "activities for children with autism". you will find many, many ideas about what you can do with him for social interaction and education skills and so on when he's not in school. just make sure that he gets some down time so he doesn't get too overloaded with activities, but it sounds like you are very much on the right track of wanting to provide a lot of stimulation and experiences for your son.

another suggestion is to ask the o.t. at his school for some suggestions of after school acitivities.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
(female)

Emma19791997 HB User

Thank you for giving me so much input. I have started to read to him, and have him read along with me since they are simple, and short chapters. I have also started him to get him to repeat his abcs' after I say them. I do not know if these two actives does any good but I hope it is helping him in some kind of ways.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Reading is a great start. Think of a child as being a sponge ready to absorb anything thrown their way. If you can keep their attention, they are absorbing it, whether it's obvious or not. If he shows an interest in something, use that as a stepping stone to teach other things. If he likes to collect trucks, use it for counting, adding, subtracting, colors, organizing. Look up trucks, load capacities, engine sizes. You get the picture. Teaching can be done with anything, and if it is tailored to the child's interests, they don't even know they are learning. Take him to the library, let him pick out books that appeal to him. Don't be critical of his choices. If he wants comic books, get them. Anything to get him reading, as that is the true ticket to learning. Read his favorite cereal box and road signs. Go outside. Talk to him about sunsets, leaves, trees, rocks, grass, weeds, flowers, making concrete, holes in the ground and what lives in the holes, how to build walls. Doesn't matter what. Act like you are explaining our world to an alien, and you want them to understand everything. A 2 year old will take it all in, as will your son. When a child asks "why", they are in sponge mode and ready to learn; well, actually, that's true for all ages.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi Emma,
I would ask your son's teacher what you can do at home with your child to help him.
When my child was young , I would try to let him take the lead , and go from there. If he was interested in something, then I would try and expand on it. Let my son take charge , and I do the following, be there for the support, and friend, encourger, and when I saw something that worked , expand on it at home.
it is difficult to do this , even back then , because, my child, wanted to just repeat his behaviors , some behaviors were clearly unhelpful. That was the chalenge .
To get my son not to continue to repeat behaviors that were of no use, and to get him more interested in learning about things around him. My child liked to run around and climb , spin , swing , jump. The biggest thing I could do for him was let him play at parks when younger.
It got his energy out , plus strenthen his motor skills , then I could reAd to a calmer child.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
(female)

Emma19791997 HB User

I have taken the time to read so far everyones post on here. It is very encourging of words that I haven't even thought of doing. Yes he loves anything that has wheels, and that rolls. As soon as he gets home from school tomorrow, I will try to do some of these things inside of our home since it is very cold outside for now. No we don't have snow yet, but it sure feel like we should. But once again thank you for giving me such great ideals on this. I haven't even thought of about the cars that he loves to have that he he puts in line, and match them up side by side as if they are in a race or something like that.

Closed Thread