It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

katarina66 HB User
Autism and sexuality

Please help. We are worried sick about my 11 year old grandson who has high functioning autism. We have found out that he has been playing sex games with his four year old cousin. He has had sex education and and had appropriate behaviour explained to him. He is very advanced physically for his age. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you deal with it?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
(female)

katarina66 HB User
Re: Autism and sexuality

has no one else had this problem? please? we are at our wits end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katarina66 View Post
Please help. We are worried sick about my 11 year old grandson who has high functioning autism. We have found out that he has been playing sex games with his four year old cousin. He has had sex education and and had appropriate behaviour explained to him. He is very advanced physically for his age. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you deal with it?
My son has not had this problem, however, he has been assulted by anther kid when he was 12.
Ever since then he has a fear of growing up . my son is now 16yrs old and has a diagnoses of autistic disorder.
The main priority that I like to make clear is the safety of the younger child, or any very young children, your grandson may come into contact with. This is a very scary and dangerous situation for little children to be around your grandson.
I would advise therapy for him , he is high functioning , and since he has already been taught NOT to do this behavior , and still does it, he needs professional help. I write this in the best interest of your grandson in hopes that his behavior will be curtailed before any further incidents occur.
He can be criminally held liable , despite his disability. Because he is high functioning and if he knows right from wrong. This is why it is extremely important for him to recieve professional help. And to keep him well supervised , & away from very young children.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
(female)

katarina66 HB User

thank you for your reply. we absolutely know the dangers and will do our best to keep him from being around younger children. He has been promised proffessional help but there is a waiting list. My daughter works for the social services providing support for mentally ill, many who are suffering the effects of childhood abuse, so finding out that her son has these tendancies is tearing her apart. My worry is that it might not be anything to to with his autism, but an orientation. this is why I came on here, praying that it isn't so unusual for these children and is something that can be nipped in the bud. The proffessionals are all pussyfooting around him saying that he is vulnerable too - and not to read too much into it, but maybe they are trying to calm my daughter down as she is beside herself. his only excuse is that he 'didn't know what got into his head'. and that 'boys at school had told him things about a girl down there.'

Old 01-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I feel so badly for your family . I hope your grandson can get the professional help very soon. Sounds like peer pressure , and curiosity , had a major impact on the child's behavior. However, choosing a 4yr old , to victimize is what , is most disturbing. He could have , tried this with a girl his own age, NOT a helpless preschooler.
With his mother working in the mental health field , it must be devastatng. Perhaps she can pull a few strings , and get her own child seen quicker than later on a waiting list.
My prayers are with your family , and I do hope your grandson gets the professional help as soon as possible.

Last edited by mscat40; 01-07-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

katarina66 HB User

Thank you very much for your kind words. I was hoping this was a common problem amongst autistic kids, but due to the lack of replies it seems it is not so. however we have a very helpful councilor on the autistic help sceme, who is going to work with him in detail through his sex education. He will also have further help with his obsessions. while he understands that sex at his age and especially with a younger child is wrong, she explained that his lack of understanding of the word and exactly what it means. Because he only looked, and did admit to touching briefly, he did not associate that with sex. It is availability rather than age, and being an only child he has not seen other children naked, and thus is very curious. That is what we have been re-assured anyway, and can only hope and pray that the powers that be are right. the little girl in question is fine, as far as she knows it was only a game and no one has made an issue of it in front of her, she has forgotten it already - the big deal is how the adults are coping with the implications.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Dear Katerina,
My heart goes out for you and your family. I know how difficult this can be. What I know is... a child with autism may not have certain emotions that most of us have as there's something just not right in the brain. The one thing that he does feel is the sexual feelings. Usually they are very strong. Why the brain plays this cruel trick on us I just don't know, but I do know that it happens.
I agree with the others that getting professional help, keeping close supervision, and trusting your parental insticts are the best that you can do.
Please let me know what else I can do to help.
Peggy

Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
(female)

katarina66 HB User

thank you very much , Peggy. We are getting all the professional help available. I can only hope and pray this problem can be solved. My grandson has promised never to do it again, but I think with him words are only that, words. I do believe now that it was pure curiosity because of things his peer group had been telling him about a girl down there.
I will let you know how we get on.

thank you.

Closed Thread