It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
(male)

daddybruce HB User
Question gfcf diet , how strict does it have to be

Hi Id like peoples opinions on this

I have a 5 year old boy who I have recently started on the GFCFdiet. I have come across potatoe chips that state on the package that although there is no gluten in the recipie they are made in a factory that handles Gluten , should I give them to my child.?? also what about french fries that have been fried in the same oil as, say, doughnuts for example ??

thanks in advance for your thoughts

Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
(male)

jimcarmic HB User
Re: gfcf diet , how strict does it have to be

Hi. Our son with autism is on a strict GFCF diet. The smallest crumb of wheat, sip of dairy can etc., can have an affect on the child. If you have any doubts about what to give your child I wouldn't let him have it. We call companies up to see how their products are prepared. Sometimes as you say preparation is done around products that aren't GFCF. Utensils being used, could be contaminated if they have been used with non-GFCF products, then used with GFCF products on the premises. We have found companies to be quick to respond to our questions. We live in Canada and we have been told that Burger King fries are OK because they are GFCF. We make sure the restaurant doesn't fry them in fryers that may have been used to cook breaded foods etc. We give our son Lays Potato chips. The plain and lightly salted are OK for him to have. Like I say call the companies if you have any doubts. The smallest trace of contamination can have an affect on a child with autism. Hope I have helped. Good Luck with the diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
(male)

daddybruce HB User

Thanks very much for your reply I appreciate you taking the time. I had been giving him Chips that were gluten free, unfortunatly I was so preoccupied with looking for gluten I compleatly missed the fact they contained MSG !! Which I believe is not good for anybody especially a child with ASD. Anyway thanks again

Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
(female)

Triple Threat HB User

Just wanted to add that your child may show different sensitivities that another child may not. That, to me, is what makes this diet so puzzling to those (including doctors) not dealing firsthand with a child on the spectrum. There's not one correct answer to your question.

Some children CAN handle dairy, but not gluten and vice versa. For what it's worth, we have my daughter GF/CF but she can handle goat products like goat cheese and goat milk.

We have stopped going to all fast food restaurants because I found that too many of them change their recipes from time to time and I wasn't able to keep up. Plus, things that APPEAR to be gluten free, really are not, and MOST of the companies really don't understand it all either.

One of my favorite examples of this is how most the Chex cereals have become gluten free, and now that company feels that it has become an expert on advice and recipes. Sounds great right? NOPE, because some of the ingredients that they added contained gluten. I sent them a lengthy email explaining it, and it took them a year to update their recipes! Things like colored sprinkles and vanilla both contain gluten, most don't know that, apparently neither did Chex!!!

Not to mention all the food colorings that are in all their recipes, etc!

It's so frustrating, but we have been very successful making our own food because it's been the only way to control all the different components!

I would eliminate as much as possible and once you have that steady, try adding in those things that might have possible cross contaminants and see what happens.

HTH

Closed Thread