It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

visha HB User
Mira

Hi Mira, i don't know if you remember me,but you asked for an up-date on my son early last year[3months admission in hospital regarding challenging behavior].Well he has completed his 3mnths assesment in hospital.

He started in mid-october and will be back this week*thank goodness*certain staff were maltreating him[i'll give details another time its just so up-setting]

To cut a long story short,its back to square one,as the issues appear un-treatable.The initial aim to reduce his daily 3.5mg intake of risperdal[for a ten yr old thats a very high dose], was disastruous, he was constantly on edge.Once the dosage went down to 2mg, things got so bad, so it went back up & is back to his regular usage.Fluoxitine was also started at 10mg up to 20mg, but had little impact so thats been stopped.He was constantly placed in the 'safe place'.Its been recommended for use in the home too.

I know it won't be easy but after what i've witnessed at the chilld & adolescent psychiatric inpatient unit-i'd rather have my child at home than at a residential unit.I must add that although most of the staff were okey,the odd i,2 & 3 that weren't were one two many.

Ps. i will finish up this subject another time, and i am excited to be having my child home again

Edit: he was also regularly given Lorazepam[for the last two weeks he's had it daily(1mg) on average twice or thrice daily[apparrently it can be given up to 4 times in 24hrs.But we've been warned it isn't a safe drug for regular usage.And my locum child psychiatrist has indicated it can only be prescribed in a hopital or residential unit.I guess it depends on the country or which part of a country because i've been reading about parents who are prescribed Lorazepam[a sedative] for use in the home for their kids,especially the USA

Last edited by visha; 01-11-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Mira

I am so glad for you that your son will be home. But I think you should clarify the Lorezapam (aka Ativan) issue before he does come home as he may need it for behavior control. It seems like it's been helping him in the hospital. Another med that is in the same class as Lorezapam is Clonazapam (Klonopin) and this one seems to be used more to help kids with the behavior and anxiety issues. Ativan is probably not good for kids for longer term but Clonazapam may be a better choice, from all that I have seen and heard and from my son's own experience.

I would at least ask your Dr. to have it at home to use as needed. Let us know how he does with the homecoming and I hope it is a good one.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

visha HB User
Re: Mira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira11 View Post
I am so glad for you that your son will be home. But I think you should clarify the Lorezapam (aka Ativan) issue before he does come home as he may need it for behavior control. It seems like it's been helping him in the hospital. Another med that is in the same class as Lorezapam is Clonazapam (Klonopin) and this one seems to be used more to help kids with the behavior and anxiety issues. Ativan is probably not good for kids for longer term but Clonazapam may be a better choice, from all that I have seen and heard and from my son's own experience.

I would at least ask your Dr. to have it at home to use as needed. Let us know how he does with the homecoming and I hope it is a good one.
Hello,yes i belief my son will need some form of sedative to cope, so i'll speak to the psyc about Clonazapam[thanks for mentioning it].The psyc is adamant about not prescribing Lorazepam for home use

I'm determined to have my son home for as long as possible, & although it'll be hard, with appropriate support and faith we'll make it.I hope to post more once the dust settles

Closed Thread