It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

tysonsmum HB User
Hand flapping

My son is 3 years old and hand flaps alot. We have tried telling him not to do it and he does try to put his hands down but almost immediatley they are back up, like he really cannot resist the impulse to flap. I have read that wrist weights can help does anyone know if this is true? i would love to hear from anyone it has worked for or knows of someone it has worked for. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Hand flapping

My son is 16yrs old and still hand flaps , only when really excited now. He use to do it a lot more often. The thing is if you try and preven your child from flapping he would no doubt pick up anther undesireable behavior. It is self stimulating to him. So it feel good to him. It is also a classic autistic behavior. Some children rock. I understand it is hard to watch your child , but , I know in time it will lessen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
(female)

believe7 HB User

My daughter is 2 yrs old and hand flapps CONSTANTLY and hums. Her therapist said it is self stimulation and We could do somthing soothing for exm. We lay a blanket on floor put her laying down on it and lift it and swing her back n forth(straight line) they said rocking her in stright line would calm her and it does. Also they said when trying to get her to focus on somthing try self stimulating her yourself like spinning ..too much stimming could also mean too much yeast in his diet..hope this help gob bless!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe7 View Post
My daughter is 2 yrs old and hand flapps CONSTANTLY and hums. Her therapist said it is self stimulation and We could do somthing soothing for exm. We lay a blanket on floor put her laying down on it and lift it and swing her back n forth(straight line) they said rocking her in stright line would calm her and it does. Also they said when trying to get her to focus on somthing try self stimulating her yourself like spinning ..too much stimming could also mean too much yeast in his diet..hope this help gob bless!
My son loves to spin in circles too ! Anther thing I use to do when he was younger is take him on the swing . This is simialar to what your family does to help your daughter with the self stimming behaviors.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
(female)

believe7 HB User

yeah my daughter likes the swing at the park as well..we made the mistake of doing circles and it made her stim out of control thats how I found out straight line only

Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe7 View Post
yeah my daughter likes the swing at the park as well..we made the mistake of doing circles and it made her stim out of control thats how I found out straight line only
My son has spun in circles ever since he could walk . The really weird thing about the spinning is that he never gets dizzy ! Never. The other day he came home telling me that they will not let him spin around in PE > he goes with an assisstant and other kids .
He was pretty bummed out . oh well, I am certain he found anther stemming activity, LOL .

Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
(female)

sooiep33 HB User

Have you read "How can I talk if my lips don't move"? It's an amazing book written by a severely autistic boy, at age 19. He describes why he flaps his hands, it's nothing short of amazing. He sees stories in the shadows that his flapping hands make. The book shows how incredibly intelligent autistic people are. My son had autism, it was a very hard life, since he was born. Since probiotics, he no longer has any autistic traits.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
(female)

Gaelfish HB User

My understanding of flapping is as follows

Kids on the spectrum get sensory overload easily. Try to imagine spending 4 hours shopping on christmas eve while wearing a scratchy wool sweater close to your skin with your least favourite music turned up high blaring in your ears and the smell of stale fish in your nostrils- You might feel like having a little flap yourself.

Ordinary day to day living for your child may feel like the above scenario, as many if not all of his senses are on high volume.

Flapping is his way to discharge the stress he feels in his body and his way to cope with overload.

So should you stop him? Naah, just learn to live with it, and try to do things which sooths his senses, what ever that may be for your child. (tough physical exercise, epsom salt baths, GFCF diet, tight hugs).

He will learn soon enough that flapping is socially unacceptable from his NT peers, and when he is older he might go someplace private to flap. Right now he needs to know that his parents are not embarrased of him in public if he has a flap.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsmum View Post
My son is 3 years old and hand flaps alot. We have tried telling him not to do it and he does try to put his hands down but almost immediatley they are back up, like he really cannot resist the impulse to flap. I have read that wrist weights can help does anyone know if this is true? i would love to hear from anyone it has worked for or knows of someone it has worked for. Thanks in advance.
It is a form of self-stimulation as others here have posted. Becoming involved in occupational therapy may help change or modify the behavior. Maybe keeping him occupied with other tasks or toys. I had not heard of wrist weights, but it might be something to try if they are not too heavy and Ok'ed by the pediatrician.

Closed Thread