It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

SocialWorks HB User
Exclamation Being cold all the time is driving me up the friggin wall!!!!!!

I've had every test that could be taken to figure out the cause of my chronic feelings of cold and nothing has come of it.

Changing diet, adding vitamins whatnot doesn't help.

I've always had this problem. As a child I had no issues going outside in a turtleneck in the summer.

You'd think I'd be used to it by now but it seems to be getting worse.

I'm beyond miserable about it. It's the source of my depressed mood. Layers of clothes doesnt' help. It's like cold air is being produced by my body or something.

I get chronic goosebumps. You think their nothing until they spring up all the time on different parts of your body. It gets annoying after a while.

I think it's depressing because I am only comfortable when I fall asleep and just doing that is always difficult because I have to warm up first.

My shoulders, legs, cheeks, nose, feet, arms ...everything!

What the hell can I do?

This is my most annoying hypersensitivity issue I have. So, imagine this discomfort on top of others.

What the hell can I do?
I'm fed up with this crap.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Being cold all the time is driving me up the friggin wall!!!!!!

Has any of the Drs. ever suggested it might have something to do with chronic anxiety? It's just a thought since you said everything else has been ruled out. I'm wondering if a low dose of an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med might give you some relief. Maybe run it by your dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

travinda HB User

have you looked into ME or cronic fatigue? its very common to suffer with this with the stresses AS bring

Old 02-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

SocialWorks HB User

I haven't looked into it per se. In order for me to be able to reasonably consider ME or chronic fatigue, I think i would have to focus on my feelings more. It's not something that I really do but I can retrospectively.

I don't find that going to a doctor helps unless I can state exactly why I think something is the case. The questions they ask are rarely answered because I wasn't looking for such things on a regular basis.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

And..if I do have ME or chronic fatigue, what can I do about this?

Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

A search for "reset internal body temperature" might uncover some clues. My temperature fluctuates rapidly for unknown reasons. I can be just right for hours, then all of a sudden be cold or burning hot, for no apparent reason.

Hunting stores sell clothes meant for standing around outside in very cold weather. Cotton and nylon aren't good for keeping warm. I wear long underwear (polypropylene) under my clothes most of the time. 80 is a perfect temperature for me; right now, it's 70 in my house and I'm cold, in spite of heavy socks, long underwear pants, and a heavy sweater over a turtleneck. Probably will turn on the portable heater shortly and toast my feet. A few weeks ago, my feet were always cold and numb, even a heating pad took forever to get them warm, so I bought some socks designed for hunters in freezing cold weather. Feet finally got warm. Also, I sleep in a mummy sleeping bag at night, rated to 31 degrees, and I use a liner that's supposed to take it down 10 degrees more. I zip them both up and even stick my head inside. Last night I had to throw my very heavy winter coat over my sleeping bag, one that I can't wear places unless the temperature gets into the 20's. Quilts just never seem to get me warm, and I don't like the idea of electric blankets/ electrical field surrounding my body. I also try to take in a lot of hot drinks, soups, and food. I have a North Face microfleece headband that I'm just as likely to wear in the house as outside. It's very comfortable and very warm.

No idea why you always feel cold, but perhaps some of these ideas will help you cope with it, and be more comfortable

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Had another thought. Warm socks inside tennis/running shoes can make your feet very cold. I remember years ago camping in winter with a kayak group, the tough guys would wear their heavy socks with their river sandals at night, basically just straps pulled across the top of the foot. I always thought that was silly and they must be awfully cold. However. Several years ago I was winter camping and tried it. My feet were much warmer in the open sandals than in my running shoes. The running shoes hold in the heat, the feet sweat, then the sweat gets cold, and the feet get cold. No sweat in the sandals, socks stay drier, so the feet stay warmer.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
(female)

SocialWorks HB User

I had my heater going since October and it's not enough. It takes me hours to warm up enough to fall asleep. I too am not a fan of electric blankets.

I did do some searching for arctic like clothing but it's really expensive. I just want to understand more about what is going on with me. Could this be in my mind? Not so much that I'm 'imagining' this feeling but rather that my body is reacting to an emotion that I'm not aware of??? It sounds weird but I'm kind of person that can have a 'panic attack' and not know it. I'm hypersensitive to my environment and it's almost as if I absorb everything as opposed to expressing body heat. It's as if the heat must come from my environment because I don't produce it as effectively or something. I tend to take things in...to a point of being overwhelmed but without necessarily knowing it.

I've met a few aspies the complete opposite...always hot...wear t-shirts in the winter and are, in comparison to me, 'extroverts'. It's not the best word to describe the difference but I don't have the words to do better. Extroverted Aspies seem to reach out to their environment while introverts, are impacted by their environment.

I'm rambling... I'm probably tired. lol.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Did the Dr's test you for a low thyriod? Being hypothyroid will cause a person to always feel cold.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

The clothes for freezing weather are quite expensive. However, winter sales should be starting soon, sometimes they go for half price or less. Definitely some long underwear and a warm pair of socks would be useful, and the good stuff lasts for years.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
(female)

mp70 HB User

My 16 yr old daughter is an aspie and has the same issue. SHe sleeps under 4 heavy blankets, wears layers, jackets under coats, and constantly cold. Her doc says its the sensory issue, but that doesnt help her any! I havent found anything to help her other than a space heater in her room on top of the regular household furnace and making sure she has the layers she needs. In school she was made fun of due to the layers and jackets in May at the end of the year! Any slight temp change she is VERY sensitive to, including a ceiling fan or going from room to another. ALso, she couldnt stand the thin " long johns" made for women. Open a package and feel it first before you spend 30 bucks on something you get home and cant return! One of our aspie moms has to handle a lot of her VERY introverted sons issues, one is returning things that are bought since he wont try anything on at the store.

I feel for you and hope you get some relief. I see her frustration with it. I told her about this post and she read it a few times. Her response is " wear more clothes".

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
(female)

SocialWorks HB User
Re: Being cold, noise, etc. all the time is driving me up the friggin wall!!!!!!

Hey.

I'm back, wearing my goose down jacket in my house that is too cold for me.

I have moved 10 times due to environmental discomfort and I'm on the verge of moving for the 11th time.

1. The apartment is cold as hell. I can't afford to heat this place up.
2. It never occurred to me that being in a building with dogs would bother me. I find them to be therapeutic in theory but their bark sets me off.
3. Having people living above you banging all the time is another problem that I've been reminded of.
4. I can't take the mailman stuffing mail through my door. It doesn't matter how much I try to prepare for that sound, I jump out of my skin every time or worse, start crying.

I'm wearing as many layers as I can (including wool socks and my shoes) and instead of helping, it feels like cold is coming out of my pores and the layers are trapping it inside. My nose, legs, hands and feet are ice cold right now.

I'm trying to get in touch with a professional that might be able to help me cope better and stop moving all over the place in search of less painful spaces to live in.

As of now, I know that even though I am terrified of heights, I will have to move to the top floor of a building (there is nothing else around here) so that I don't have neighbours above me making noise.

My peers think I'm nuts because 1. When I express my discomfort about something I can't convey it in a way that does justice to how I'm actually feeling. 2. Articulating discomfort is not part of my nature so my behaviour will tell me (and others) that something is wrong even though I might not be aware at the time, of what I am reacting to.

On a side note, I am part of an aspie group and we have found that 'introverted' aspies are more times than not always cold and 'extroverted' aspies tend to speak of going out in the winter with a t-shirt on.

That's my caffeinated ramble for the evening. It's interesting how a bit of Pepsi spins me into ramble mode (albeit a seemingly uneventful quiet to observers).

Old 03-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
(female)

Gaelfish HB User
Re: Being cold, noise, etc. all the time is driving me up the friggin wall!!!!!!

Does exercise help? Do you feel warmer after a brisk walk? How about warming food, I am thinking of Ginger or chilli or curry? My mum is often cold but started chewing some ginger root in the morning and that helped a lot. Other than moving to a hotter climate, I cant think of anything else.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
(female)

Gaelfish HB User

Sorry, another thought. Do you eat enough calories? do you drink too much water? Drinking too much water can make you cold inside.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
(female)

SocialWorks HB User

Thanks for the response.

I do get hot when I exercise but it has to be something like soccer. I don't like cold liquids so all of my liquids are room temperature when possible. I do have a hot chocolate from time to time.

I do get hot when I play a sport (soccer mostly) but when I cool off, I go straight to shivering cold... There's not medium at all.

I rarely drink water as well. Anything like the curry etc, won't make me hot...it burns my ears. I have sensitive ears and eating such things just makes my ears feel like their bleeding...on top of the sensitivity to sound.

I'll keep looking.

Closed Thread