It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

rushingaround HB User
Need help!

I have an 8 year old son who has autism spectrum disorder.He has issues with texture and smell so A LOT of things he wont eat. And of course they are the things he really needs. I was told by a child on his bus that the bus driver is going to speak to the school board because he has gas a lot and it stinks. Now,I've never noticed him farting excessively or anything but apparently she thinks she needs to go to the school board instead of talking to me. I have noticed that his stomach tends to be bloated a lot and he suffers with diarrhea &/or constipation at different times. Anyways, I need to know what supplements I can get for him that will replace what he isn't taking in otherwise.The only things he eats are cereal & milk, pizza (pepperoni/cheese no other), macaroni and tomato sauce/cheese, ice-cream, some juices, french fries, fish sticks, mayo sandwiches(wont eat lunch meat), popcorn chicken(no chicken any other way) spaghetti with tomato sauce(no spaghetti sauce or meat) rolls, cornbread. He will NOT eat any types of fruit other than bananas.No veggies other than french fries. If I try and make him eat anything else he gags looks like hes going to throw up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can give him to help with this?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Need help!

His diet is not as bad as you think - he will eat more than some!! Make sure the cereal is vitamin fortified and/or give him a vitamin supplement.

Re. the gas and bloating, I think the first step is to have a drs. appointment to discuss this. And I'm sure the dr. will have some suggestions about what to do or if one of those stomach acid prevention meds or whatever would be in order.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello Friends,
You mention pizza, mac and cheese and ice cream. You also mention bloating and diahreah. I would talk to the doctor about a lactose intolerance. I had the same symptoms for over thirty years before a doctor who just happened to have a lactose intolerance diagnosed this for me. I had gone from doctor to doctor having every test in the book done, and I was repeatedly told that it was all in my head. Once I was properly diagnosed I started taking Lactaid with every meal. It has changed my life. My symptoms have disappeared.
As the parent of an Aspergers child I know how difficult it can be chasing after all sorts of symptoms. If you can get a handle on these digestive issues it will be one less daily challenge that you'll face.
Please let me know what else I can do for you. My child is 19 now and in college, and I've made more mistakes than I'd like to admit. If you can learn from my mistakes I'll be more than happy to help.
Peggy

Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
(female)

maylee HB User

has he been checked by his pediatrician? Ask if it is possibly a Lactose intolerance issue, may need digestive enzymes...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
(female)

mp70 HB User

Our 16 yr old daughter is an Aspy kid. Been there and done that. She still has digestive issues and in the group we meet with most of the kids do. If I may be so blunt.... your bus driver is a moron. So the child has stinky farts, the world just might end. Anyway, she uses digestive enzymes for a plethora of food sensitivities and aspy kids ( and adults for that matter) sometimes just dont think to hold it in until later. Burping and farting and other "socially unacceptable" things happen all the time in a group of Aspy kids... and no one freaks out. You just remind them and try to get them to realize that sometimes the rules are different and may make no sense to them, but they have to observe them. At 8 yrs old that may be pretty hard for your son, depending on how highly functioning he is.

Food textures and colors were our daughters issues. She would only eat red things and of a certain color... RED. We finally got the bright idea to use red food coloring in other things and she really would eat them. Then we had to deal with red teeth. LOL! Aspy kids are a pain, but they are also so interesting you cant help but feel they are really a lot more than just a kid... theyre amazing individuals! Please approach him with ideas that are out of the box... and youll likely have a lot of success with him. Thats what saved us all from tearing our hair out at times!

( BTW......Im still irked at your bus driver..... )

Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
(female)

mom2aaron HB User

We had incredible improvements with gastro-intestinal problems as well as stimming/connectivity problems when we removed dairy from our son's diet. I know this is not easy, I've been there. We substituted rice or almond milk. I also have friends who swear by removing wheat (gluten) from the diet of their autistic children. We also added a good probiotic and have been pleased with the result.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
(female)

maylee HB User

Hi,

what is probiotic?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
(female)

mom2aaron HB User

maylee
a probiotic is the healthy bacteria that are naturally found in the gut. You may have seen the yogurt comercials with Jaime Lee Curtis. You can get high concentrations of these healthy bacteria in capsule form. We use one from Kirkman Labs called Super Pro Gold which has 75 billion CFU's per capsule. The number of CFU's is important. Our son needs high numbers as a result of extensive use of antibiotics. Probiotics can make a big difference in the digestion and quality of stools. Good Luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
(female)

adalinep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp70 View Post
Our 16 yr old daughter is an Aspy kid. Been there and done that. She still has digestive issues and in the group we meet with most of the kids do. If I may be so blunt.... your bus driver is a moron. So the child has stinky farts, the world just might end. Anyway, she uses digestive enzymes for a plethora of food sensitivities and aspy kids ( and adults for that matter) sometimes just dont think to hold it in until later. Burping and farting and other "socially unacceptable" things happen all the time in a group of Aspy kids... and no one freaks out. You just remind them and try to get them to realize that sometimes the rules are different and may make no sense to them, but they have to observe them. At 8 yrs old that may be pretty hard for your son, depending on how highly functioning he is.

Food textures and colors were our daughters issues. She would only eat red things and of a certain color... RED. We finally got the bright idea to use red food coloring in other things and she really would eat them. Then we had to deal with red teeth. LOL! Aspy kids are a pain, but they are also so interesting you cant help but feel they are really a lot more than just a kid... theyre amazing individuals! Please approach him with ideas that are out of the box... and youll likely have a lot of success with him. Thats what saved us all from tearing our hair out at times!

( BTW......Im still irked at your bus driver..... )
Totally agree the bus driver is a loser!
Also don,t give up on trying new foods. Is there anything you can use to bribe your son into trying one bite of a new food? That's what I've done with my Autistic son. He only gets dessert if he tries one bite of the new food. It takes about 4-5 times and sometimes he will like it. He is also bothered by tactile and smell. Noise bothers him a lot too.

Last edited by adalinep; 03-03-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
(female)

rushingaround HB User

First off,thanks to everyone who replied! I appreciate all your suggestions. I have taken him to the dr,twice. Both times they told me to give him fiber.Well I have.It doesn't do a bit of good. And I even mentioned lactose intolerance.They still said just to give him fiber. Sometimes docs drive me nuts! I have done a lot of research on it and I believe it's either LI or a gluten problem. I'm leaning more towards the LI tho. And yes,I'm irked at the bus driver also. She actually suggested putting him on meds for it. Now he doesn't run around stinking at home or school,just supposedly on the bus. Which I find kind of suspicious anyways. I don't know what the deal is. Is Lactaid something I can give him without a prescription to see if it helps?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
(female)

rushingaround HB User

I do get him to try new foods.He will only eat a bite or two of them but he will try them if he knows he cant eat what he wants till he does.lol He also recently started eating hot-dogs.The WHOLE hot-dog not just the bun and mayo! He won't eat them often tho.But it's still a vast improvement!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
(female)

rushingaround HB User

What is a stimming problem?

Closed Thread