It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

karen02 HB User
My so is 3 and they are telling me he may have some sort of autism please help me!!!

My little guy just turned 3 4 weeks ago. He does attend a pre-school 3 days a week. He loves it!! I did have concerns for him with speech so i called my school district for some early intervention. My son does qualify for speech, ot,and physical therapy. My son is very smart before he could talk he knew all of his abc's can count up to 50 know's all of his colors, shapes and can even read a little bit!! I was told today that i should have him checked out with a neurologist. He does get upset when a dog barks or if the vacuum is running. But he loves to be around other kids and does like to jump and run and have a good time. I was told by the person who evaluated him at his school today that he was easily distracted and needed re direction and would wait awhile to answer her questions or just not answer her. I am heart broken. Why are these kids labeled for everything? May be i am in denial i do not know. Does anyone have a child with similar behavior???? She also suggested that i put him in a special education pre-school to recieve speech, pt,and ot. She did not come out and say that he had autism but was dropping hints about "" the spectrum"" please help me!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: My so is 3 and they are telling me he may have some sort of autism please help me

Hi My son had many of the features you mentioned. My son was diagnosed with dysphasia and autistic features at the age of 2 when he obviously had autistic features (that us parents had also noticed), he couldn't understand speech and had his own "language" and used just a few Finnish words, was very into shows like "The wheel of fortune" and got "stuck" with them - and everything had to be "in order". Our doctors and nurses didn't think he would be "ok" by time he had to go to school which so angered me - they didn't even know the guy. He started to speak around the age of 3 or 4, started to read on his own at 5 and did his sister's math homework at 6 He sure proved them wrong since by the time he was 7 and went to school (after occupational and speech therapy, "kindergarten" and pre-school) and attended a smaller class just for a year to learn social skills and that was it He's now 16 and still has some Asperger's symptoms but if you didn't know he had problems you'd never guess. So I guess what I'm saying is don't let them bring you down, use the help available and show them what he's made of

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

Gaelfish HB User
Sensory Defensive

Hi hun,

If his social skills are in order, he is probably just a bit sensory defensive rather than autistic. Get your hands on the books on sensory integration (Carol Stock Kranowitz "out of sync child" or Sharon Heller "too loud too bright too fast too tight"). There are some things you can do at home to help, but inform yourself first.

My kiddo nearly 5 years old is high functioning autistic and also sensory defensive, getting easily distracted, sensitive to food texture, does not like to get his hands messy, will cover his ears sometimes (not too often), and had a hell of a time getting to sleep. When he was younger he was an escape artist and was prone to hysteria. He has recently started hand flapping when he gets excited.

Plenty of physical exercise and a gluten and caesin free diet take care of his sensory defensive issues for the most part. Melatonin takes care of getting to sleep. A host of vitamins and mineral supplements keeps him on an even keel. ABA is helping him to catch up the year he lost between 3 and 4, and occupational therapy helps a bit also.

Keep an eye on your sons ears. If they go bright red sometimes this is a pretty good indication that he is not coping with dairy or wheat in his diet.

Autism and disabled are two very big scary words which I have had to digest and accept (took me about a year to do this) but dont let fear of these words get in the way of you seeking answers and intervention for your son, who sounds to me is just mildly sensory defensive. The sooner the better, his brain is very elastic at 3 years old, and with help he can rewire neural pathways if they are a bit off more easily now than any time in his future.

good luck

Siobhan

Old 04-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
(male)

iluv80smetal HB User
Re: My so is 3 and they are telling me he may have some sort of autism please help me

My little "Bubba" is 7 years old and is the greatest gift god has blessed my family of 5 with. He is the only child of 4 that is autistic and didn't get a formal dx until 2006, when he was 4. There were plenty of signals to me, being a military medical corpsmen had concerns of autism, but my wife did not want to discuss it a just said "he's just 3 or 2". Well at his 4 year check MD check up the Doc wanted a screening done to r/o Autism Spectrum Disorder. I can care less what he has he is my closest bond to anyone ever. I don't handicap him. I talk to him noramally although at times, lots of times communication is awkward, but in a suttle way I understand him. Please do not be troubled or scared for the gift you've been given. One Autistic kid or two I know said something profound to me and that is "why do we need to adjust to the world, the world should be adjusting to 'us'". Wow, like "us" and all autistic people. I try to learn as much as I can about autism and my child is very happy and has even been trying to communicate with people which has been unusual in the past. This is a recent thing. Anyhow, please don't be concerned or scared about the diagnosis. Be fortunate that you have an opportunity of a lifetime to learn a new type of human being that is now becoming more and more promienent that ever. I hope this helps you --- God Bless you and your gifts

Last edited by iluv80smetal; 04-26-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

my son was diagnosed as autistic at the age of 4 . However, what really matters is the services he got , and the kind teachers , support and extra help he recieved.
My son is nearly 17yrs old , still labeled autistic , and moderately cognitively delayed, but , he is hihg functionioning, has splinter skills , and is very good at the computor.
The label is not as important as the services the child recieves and the love the parents give.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
(male)

iluv80smetal HB User

As my son did... once the MD made the referral for eval. Providers from everywhere and a social work to follow the case to this day, now 3 years later and "Bubba" is functioning like the kid he is for his age, a little socially challenge, my what a photographic memory. I read him a book and he recites it over and over Amazing. Bless these children and adults that are Autistic as well.... my son is not on any medication of any kind, just thought I'd add that in there. This week I'm attempting to teach him checkers/chess, because he seems facinated when I play it on my Nintendo DS. He will stop what he is doing to what me play and says I want to play "chest" too.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
(female)

Mira11 HB User

your son sounds like he has more of a developmental language delay and yes i have known kids who fit this description and did not have autism. your son's social nature and running around doing what the other kids like to do makes me think this. get all the early intervention they will provide, do the special pre-school and he is bound to make great progress. my son does have autism and had a very hard time in a pre-school and did not like doing what the others were doing-it always put him in sensory overload.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen02 View Post
My little guy just turned 3 4 weeks ago. He does attend a pre-school 3 days a week. He loves it!! I did have concerns for him with speech so i called my school district for some early intervention. My son does qualify for speech, ot,and physical therapy. My son is very smart before he could talk he knew all of his abc's can count up to 50 know's all of his colors, shapes and can even read a little bit!! I was told today that i should have him checked out with a neurologist. He does get upset when a dog barks or if the vacuum is running. But he loves to be around other kids and does like to jump and run and have a good time. I was told by the person who evaluated him at his school today that he was easily distracted and needed re direction and would wait awhile to answer her questions or just not answer her. I am heart broken. Why are these kids labeled for everything? May be i am in denial i do not know. Does anyone have a child with similar behavior???? She also suggested that i put him in a special education pre-school to recieve speech, pt,and ot. She did not come out and say that he had autism but was dropping hints about "" the spectrum"" please help me!!!
I think the evaluator "hinted" at autism because autism is a developmental disorder that is characterized by early developmental delays in speech, language, fine motor coordination, attention and social interactions. It sounds like your son is showing some early delays, though you describe him as very friendly and enjoying playing with other children which does not sound like autism. Does he actually play and interact with other children rather than simply play next to other children? Does he keep eye contact?

I do agree with you that folks get hung up on labels too early. However, if your son is showing delays, it is best to properly diagnose and treat these delays(no matter the diagnosis) rather than waiting for him to grow out of them. Through early intervention, he may overcome all these early delays and it may turn out to be nothing but simple developmental delays that were addressed and resolved early.

My suggestion is to take him to a developmental psychologist or neurologist who can do observations and perform necessary tests. There are also scales they can fill out and you can fill out that address all the different symptoms.

I do understand you feeling heartbroken, particularly when someone brings up the topic of autism or hints at it when refering to your young son.

Through further investigation, you'll find the answers you need to help your son. Also, the reason the evaluator suggested a special program is that your son can then receive all the services he needs under one roof rather than you having to take him to six different appointments every week.

Rose

Old 04-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
(male)

iluv80smetal HB User

Karen02, you are a truly blessed person behold and understand, then act to train as you must. It is challenging, but you have been given a gift and you do even realize yet, if in fact you child has a dx on the Autism Spectrum Disorder scale. r/ bless you sister.

Last edited by iluv80smetal; 04-26-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: addressed to appropriate person

Old 04-29-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
(female)

KittyCatty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen02 View Post
Shoe! Your child is only 3 years old. The age that they only have to start going to pre-school! I had a similar situation with my daughter. The big difference was that she was 6 years old – starting with primary school. The teacher said she had a problem with concentration and that I have to test her for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD). I also was hard broken, did not know what to do. In the end I did test her and according to the Professor she was ADHD, after paying a lot of money for the evaluation. I however, did not agree with the evaluation, but I went along with the prof’s suggestions: “ritteling”. To make a long story short, after a month of medication I took her off because she became very drawn back, I could not stand it. She is now 10 years old, nothing wrong with her, playing Netbal, having a very active lifestyle and is an A-grade Grade 4 child.
People will tell you a lot of things, obviously if there is something seriously wrong you have to act, but your post reflects a healthy little 3 year old.

Good luck!

Closed Thread