It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

melanieann1974 HB User
Question bowel problems help

trying to get my son who is 7 and has autism to go for a bowel movement. he can go for 3 weeks with out going help!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
(female)

SocialWorks HB User
Re: bowel problems help

Try giving him natural foods that would likely make him go more often. Make sure he's got adequate fiber and water intake. Take him to a naturopath.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
(female)

Mira11 HB User

try increasing food that are high in fiber in his diet. metamucil makes a high fiber cookie that is quite tasty. apples and fruit are good. cereals that are high in fiber are good. once you get him regular keep these foods as part of his diet.

you also should probably talk with his dr. about this as three weeks is a long time and you don't want him to get impacted. many kids with autism have problems with constipation.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

melanieann1974 HB User

hi thank you will take him to dr see what he says. he does take movical to help him go

Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
(female)

TerryJ2 HB User

Is he still eating wheat?

Drinking milk?

Not good.

That's a long time to go w/o a bowel movement.

Another thought ... you're going to think this is weird, but are you sure he isn't going somewhere else and putting it somewhere? My son hated to wipe himself and was afraid of his feces and I cannot tell you how many times we yelled at the dog for pooping in the house. We couldn't figure out how it had gotten on the walls, either. Sigh.
I don't know why people think these kids aren't smart because they are. It's we parents who just don't see them flying under the radar.

Anyway, just a thought ...
Married 31 yrs, 18-yr-old NT daug in coll, 13-yr-old Aspie, adopted 2 days old. Poss mood dis. LD but only 1 gr behind; priv school; wheat/gluten-free, milk-free diet; Adderall, Imiprimine, Clonidine.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanieann1974 View Post
trying to get my son who is 7 and has autism to go for a bowel movement. he can go for 3 weeks with out going help!!!!!!!!!!
He may need more fiber and fruit in his diet to help him form bulk. Does he drink enough water?

You can consult with the pediatrician to see if it would be acceptable to give him a teaspoon of milk of magnesia for a few days to help him go to the bathroom and keep his stools from getting so hard.

Children with autism are creatures of habit. Once he forms the habit of going every day or going more often he may then feel comfortable going.

The other thing I have heard recommended is actually encouraging the child to sit on the toilet twice a day, whether they feel like going or not, to encourage developing the habit of going. You can tel him sit on the toilet and play with his Nintendo or whatever to keep him engaged and associate sitting on the toilet with something fun.

Closed Thread