It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

Lesa1211 HB User
Picking a school

Hello, Im new to the message board. My sone is 4 and has Autism. He is graduating preschool this year and i have yet to find a school for him that I feel comfortable with. He needs a smaller classroom with more 1 on 1, rather than a typical "classroom". I live in Pittsburgh PA. Any suggestion would be greattly appreciated.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Picking a school

Hi - Your local school district has an obligation to find an appropriate classroom for him. Contact the director of special ed and explain that you want a class for your son for the next school year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Request an IEP for everybody who is involved in your child;s learning . The school has an obligation to place your son in a classroom with the least restrictive environment .

Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
(female)

Lesa1211 HB User

We have had our 1st transition meeting already. My problem with the whole precess is they evaluate him. Then I will recieve a letter in July as to where they recomend I send him. Well, how am i supposed to visit the school in July to see if i agree with their decision. I have HUGE trust issues with people because he is non-verbal, and the things I see on TV and in the papers of these kids being abused by teachers or teachers aids. I want to visit the school, meet the teachers. If Im not comfortable, I WONT leave him there. I spoke to my advocate yesterday and she gave me a list of schools to look at but tells me even if I find one I like, the staff may not be the same once the school year starts. This is driving me crazy.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Lesa - that doesn't compute! how can you see a program in july when school is out? unless you are looking at almost year round schools, which might be the case.

re. the trust issues, you will be able to get a feel for this based on whether they are comfortable with parents being involved in the school day ie to do observations, to serve as a parent aide on occasions. if they balk at scheduling observations in the early months, i too would have a problem, but if they seem pretty willing to let you help your son by being with him a lot during the transition time, that would make me feel very comfortable.

Last edited by Mira11; 04-14-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
(female)

Lesa1211 HB User

Mira, thanks for the reply. That's just it, it's not a year round program. That's why im so ****** that they want me to wait until July until they make they're decision. Right now Im scheduling appts to see some schools. I cannot wait until July. If i find one that i like, and im hoping i do, im calling them with my decision.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Lesa - that's a good idea, if you can do it, to schedule appointments to see programs in schools and call the special ed director with the results of what you like.

When my son was first starting out with school and we were looking for schools, we needed to have a school rep make the arrangements and go with me to observe. Are you able to do this on your own now? I think that would be great!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira11 View Post
Lesa - that's a good idea, if you can do it, to schedule appointments to see programs in schools and call the special ed director with the results of what you like.

When my son was first starting out with school and we were looking for schools, we needed to have a school rep make the arrangements and go with me to observe. Are you able to do this on your own now? I think that would be great!
this is exactly what I was allowed to do before my child entered a program. You are the one in charge , and have the last word in what and where your child goes to school.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

We hired a child advocate from a private learning disabled school. This woman had such a good reputation, and was involved in every IEP and step the school took. She was worth her weight in gold!

Kirstee

Closed Thread