It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
(female)

mickeybt2000 HB User
High functioning?

Today I was in an assessment with a counselor and she told me that the problems I've always associated with depression may actually be cause by me being "high functioning, which you are." When I left and googled the term I found it was a form of autism.

I'm 18, is it likely that I've gone all this time undiagnosed with autism or could she or I be mistaken?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
(female)

BUBBLENOODLE HB User
Re: High functioning?

Many times the use of HFA and LFA is used to describe autistic individuals.

Firstly, the level at which a person fucntions varies from task, environment and time in your life (as well as other factors). Although many health professionals use the term, I don't believe it's a clinical one.

Could you be autistic and not know? Sure.
Does being "High functioning" enable a person to feel depressed? Hell no. People rely too much on what they can perceive as a way of assessing another person's mood.

She probably meant that you have the capacity to know how you are feeling but to label that in itself as a high functioning ability is ridiculous.

What are some of the problems you've associated with depression in the past?

You should also ask that counselor/assessor if they are saying you are autistic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
High ana, high ebv, low testosterone, high dhea-serum need help..... kg21678 Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) 0 07-16-2009 04:34 PM
High Liver ALP (alkaline phosphatase count) 061072 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 2 01-07-2009 10:29 AM
Creatinine Results High willylang General Health 7 01-10-2007 02:34 PM
difference between asperger's and high functioning autism JenBer Asperger's Syndrome 9 03-27-2006 07:41 PM
To Parents of kids with asperger & high functioning autism off kilter Asperger's Syndrome 10 09-11-2005 03:06 AM

Tags
high functioning autism