It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
(female)

CelestialCastle HB User
Seizures in Autistic Children

I had a wonderful, beautiful autistic son. He had his moments just like everyone but all-in-all, he was just the most precious person in this world. I loved coming home to him. He was unable to tell me when something was wrong with him. For the most part, I was able to pick up when something seemed to be off. There was one week where he kept having tantrums that increased to 3 times a day and he would hit me. Very, very unusual behavior from him. He and I were utterly close. His behavioralist stated that to ignore the negative behavior. It was probably due to his hormones. He was 16-years-old. Sadly, he had a seizure last month and died in the night. It has devastated me and I do not know when I will get over it. This posting, I am notifying those that to get neurological testing for any child that is unable to communicate with you and especially autistic children as their disability is due to neurological.

Lastly, I was never made aware that he could have seizure that would take his life. I have been trying to find information on this. The only thing that I could find was that there are two types of autistic children (Overdeveloped minds v. Underdeveloped minds). My son fell into the Overdeveloped mind. The only thing that they were able to determine as cause of death was that there was a problem with his colon which caused problem with breathing which put his heart into an arrythmia and then the seizure.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me where to find more information on this as I am having trouble not blaming myself. I am having a hard time moving on. Please, please, someone help me.

Please, please....if your autistic child is reacting unusual...go with your instinct. Whatever they are doing such as quick breath in, increased tantrums ... if your instincts say, something is not right....make sure you tell your doctor. Get all test results sent to your Primary doctor. No matter who is doing the testing.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: CelestialCastle
nickymom (03-10-2011), roseladyt (08-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User
Re: Seizures in Autistic Children

I appaud you 1000 percent for this. My daughter who is now 25 was medically ex and I am just dumbfounde when parents do not. She was and she begn to have gran mal seizures and outgrew them. they are more common as they sleep and she did not slepe for years. she began to hit me and pinch more a few yrs ago and got worse. i thought she becoming pschotic. not even close. she had several undxx gi issues. all causing a lot of pain and she can talk but limited speech. finally they got dx and the lastone was rare extremely rare. almost nothing known about it. i did the researech made the dr do a hidescan. she is talking more, happy and not even close to the hcild she was 6 yrs ago.

i almost put her on antipschotic.

a huge precentage of kids with autism have seizures but some are so slight and often missed. i agree, get a medical dx and stick with them testing every 3 or so yers. test for hearing, neuro ekg, heart, gi.

I wrote to the cdc and here dr sent her info to them to let others know and they now say to get gi and neuro workups but so many school or parents do not. instead they drug a kid out that may be medically ill.

HUG To you and I am so sorry he died. John Travolata did the same thing by finally opening up. Bless you

Old 07-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
(female)

CelestialCastle HB User

Thank you for the compliment. I am so glad that your daughter has improved in so many ways. I am going to find a way to get our government to make something permanent in the health care system for these types of testings as parents as ourselves have so much on our shoulders that we cannot think of everything. This actually should be standard for any disabled child. The only time anyone thinks of things like this is when they are in the situation and blaming themselves for them losing their child. I am in that stage right now. I just can not even get myself to move forward without him. He was a terrific young man, the apple of my eye, my heart and soul. Everyone loved him.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialCastle View Post
Thank you for the compliment. I am so glad that your daughter has improved in so many ways. I am going to find a way to get our government to make something permanent in the health care system for these types of testings as parents as ourselves have so much on our shoulders that we cannot think of everything. This actually should be standard for any disabled child. The only time anyone thinks of things like this is when they are in the situation and blaming themselves for them losing their child. I am in that stage right now. I just can not even get myself to move forward without him. He was a terrific young man, the apple of my eye, my heart and soul. Everyone loved him.

write to the CDC. They called me back. I was shocked. I do not know if the dr or parents are to blame. some do the quick school psych evauls and someone should say, whoa, get some more testng.

My daughter ped was my mine as a child. the moment i brought her in and suspected something was not right he sent her to a children hospital for genetic, blood and metabolic work ups. the state children special health services did thier bit of testing. ct scans, hearing test and then at age 3 out of the blue she had a grand mal seizure. there was little known there about autism. if i hear one more person say they got a auti chld dx by a simple psych I am going to scream! some metabolic disorders are being missed. i know one lady on the het that was 100 sure her son had autism he did not but by time she found out what he had the damage was done.

Glad to have met you and I am sorry for your loss. I had just seen a a tv show on a girl with seizures so when she had one I was like OMG.

Educate the school districts. I am glad to see you are taking a sad event and trying to do good with it. Bless you.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
(male)

Brandon85 HB User

I have a high functioning form of Asperger's syndrome and am also an epileptic. Those two seem to go hand in hand a lot of the time and I think that might be what happened.
Respects to you and your son.

Closed Thread