It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

Ndotlevy HB User
Question HELP! I think my boyfriend's son has autism or AS.

Hello....

In my family I have 2 younger cousins, one with Autism and one with AS. I do not think I am highly qualified to diagnose.. but I do know I have experience with the said syndromes.

I have been dating my boyfriend for only 5 months. In getting serious with him, he has introduced me to his 3yo (almost 4yo) son. His son only is interesting in playing 'Mario'. He repeats only what is said on the screen. Even when driving in the car, or eating out at dinner he will only say video game words, like- "Yoshi, Mario, Peach or Captain Falcon". When asked a simple question like "Are you Hungry?" He replies (Yelling) "NOO, no hungry." (He says "NO" to everything) Only after the question has been repeatably asked. When he gets excited he does (what my family calls it) the "Happy Dance", covering his face & running away. He shows absolutely NO interest in things. Does not count or say his ABC's. When he does talk on his own, you cannot understand because it sounds like he's speaking in his own language, using no sentence structure. He also has been described by others who have met him as being in his own world. When visiting family (ie. Grandma & Grandpa) he doesn't want to hug, he says again 'No'.

His father (my boyfriend) has mentioned to me before that he thought his son may have a behavioral disability, and that he brought it up to his son's mother, and she threw the idea away. Telling him there was nothing wrong with their son. I am fearful for him, if there is anything delayed in his learning, speech or hearing I feel it should be taken care of properly at a young age so we ALL know what we're dealing with, and how to help the young man.

I don't know what to do or how to handle this situation, I care about this boy & his father and only want what's best. What do y'all think?? What do I do???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: HELP! I think my boyfriend's son has autism or AS.

He's the father's son too, not just the mothers. The father has a right to take his son to a doctor to get him checked. He shouldn't need the mother's permission to get medical help for his son, especially if she is in denial and refuses to get help. Unless the divorce decree says differently.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
(female)

secretsleep17 HB User

I think at the very least it sounds like something is wrong, don't you?? I think dating someone for 5 months is long enough to say "Hey, I really think you should talk to a professional about what's going on with your son!" You know. Just see if he will take him to a developmental psychologist or pediatrician and just see what they say. Maybe if you stay away from the gloom and doom of it "Your kid is SO not normal, there's something wrong with him" (ha, I know you wouldn't say that, but..) and stick with "Let's just get an opinion from a doctor about what might be happening, so we know if there's anything we should be doing differently" it will help keep the situation calm for everyone.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Yes, he definitely should insist on taking his son to the doctor for an evaluation. He is the father and should have this right. There are school programs and services that he is eligible for that he is missing out on by not getting a diagnosis and getting therapies and school programs started.

Closed Thread