Selah, so did your child eventually lose the diagnosis? Did you ever doubt the diagnosis? My own son seemed to have a regression at around 16 months. So it makes sense to me that maybe your child didn't have any autistic traits until after age 2.
Very encouraging to hear a story about a child who is doing so well, now!
Hi. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your post, I just read your response. My 8 year old son is still considered autistic, because sometimes he needs more guidance and motivation than the average 8 year old. My oldest son is 14 months older than him and he often tends to assist his younger brother in staying focused. Thankfully though, he is well mannered and seems to be content in most situations- laid back sort of. Whatever assignments are given him in school or at home, he does it to completion, when supervised, so I believe that when he is an adult, God willing, he will be able to train in a profession and hold a job. I basically try to encourage all three of my children to be team players and work together and understand that we all have strengths and weaknesses and everyone is unique. I know that they are all retaining what they are learning. They are absolute blessings to me.
Mira, what would lead you to believe this was NOT autism? She said her son does not respond to his name, walks on his toes, and flaps his hands. That's not typical for a normal child, so what do you think it is? That's completely textbook for a kid with autism, so is there a reason you think it's not autism? Sounds like autism to me.
I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility that something else is going on, but certainly, the first and obvious guess would be autism. I don't know why someone would say it doesn't seem to be autism. What was described was textbook. Like if you were going to write a story about an autistic child, he'd certainly toe walk, hand flap, and ignore his own name. That's what autistic children do, and what neurotypical kids don't do.
i think that you are being 100% truthful and helpful you come across like you only want her to jsut take the steps just incase. It never hurts to get help when you fear for your child, they are the most inportant people in life i like that your saying how it is...i am so scared to talk to my doctor friday because i as well fear that my daughter maybe showing signs as well, she does turn and look when i call her name but often ignores after that, She always opens closes doors she swings her arms randomly and now she will just sit on the floor and swing her head side to side, Im so scared that if she is i wont know what to do i am trying to be strong about it because she is just so beautiful and i want to do anything i can for her, i dont have much support around and the fear of her possibly being autistic scares the living you know out of me.... i like hearing your honesty and not the sugar coated stories it will be ok type thing thats what i need to hear right now.......
as for the girl who orignally posted hun i am going through the excat same thing and i wish you nothing but the best possible out come and i love to keep in touch to see how each others journeys go... i think everyone needs support and im hear to tell you everything that happens with my daghter to..
I am new to this board so not sure if I should jump into the mix, so to speak. But I just wanted to say that my twin boys, who were both speech delayed, were not consistently responding to their names nor were they pointing at 18 months. They got services, but neither was diagnosed ASD. Sometimes there are other reasons why a child could be delayed.
first i move from the place where iam leaving before still waiting for services in new city since the old city dervice cant make any dignosis,
my son is 23 month old he is very active
- he use some words ,like happy and ama , aba and use alot of his own language he want to talk on phone in his own language
- he understand simple sentenses like go to washroom, sit down , stand up give this to mama .etc and he understands gesture easly , but also understand simple sentences he will point his body parts almost 6 parts
-he also know some signs such as help, eat
- he do respond to his name but some time need 2 to 3 calls especially when he is busy
- he did show things to us . he also recognize certain pictures in book some time ,he is wrong but he did point
- he is very loving he did kiss me and happy
- he had maintain good eye contect we me but some time when he is angrey on me he will go in corners and avoid eye contect .
-when ever he need any thing he cries and come to me and if i ask him u need this. he will started to laugh , he will also demand that he want to watch cartoons he know various cartoon character name and if i ask any thing during show like where is elephant he will go and show me this is elephant ,some time he do point right some time wrong
- he sing with me various poems and also do there action with me .love to read books
- when he was 15 month old he was doing hand flapping and toe walking but know this is improved alot, some time he still do flapping but for seconds .
- since birth he had feeding isues but now this improved alot, he ate rice and soft solid food easly ,
- regarding social he is very social and talkative with adults, ***he cant imitate words(he can imitate those words who he already know) but if i use new word he open his mouth but nothing comes out and then he frustrated.***but he can imitate actions easly , with children he is not much social but he play with them (means he like to play in kids area with kids , but he played his own games)
-he copy every thing, imitate alot some time try to talk with them in his own words
-i find his tongue is tie infact his tongue in not moving laterally and he not able to clean food from roof of his palate , and membren is short and thick but still he can move his out and little bit of upward movement (but not other movements ).
- some time during watching cartoon he would move his head down and try to see them inverted and he is bit organize but also spreading things some time and he like to touch soft and smooth things like he love to hide his head in pillow and like to touch smooth walls
-very clever when i open my laptop .he came and close it if i say i am going to open cartoon for you he will open it again and came in my lap and watch cartoons ,
-he do point to door if i say where is baba means he know baba was outside
-i am only worrid his vocablary is keep growing but his speaking skill is stuck to 5 words since 3 months , and although he point alot but he can,t point to the thing he want and if ask get this get this he know and he do that means he know t he use and name of things but know how ask from me
-his mouth is very sensitive to cold and warm if i gave him icecream he had gag imidiatly ,and had habbit to chew cloth some time
-these r the improvemts he had since 6 month , not even sure what is problem is the milestone are ok with his age