It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

Little Miss T HB User
Exclamation Asperges Syndrome. PLEASE. HELP.

Hi there,
My boyfriend (refered to as 'Y'), is 18 years old and has Asperges syndrome, although diagnosed as only having it mildly. By this I mean that Y is pleasant, talkative and passionate when explaining his common interests, which are varied due to his brilliant upbringing. People with this condition are, apparantly, reluctant to try new things but his healthy, happy childhood has allowed this rule to somewhat be abolished.

A by-stander would believe Y to be just like any normal teen, although shy. As his girlfriend, I can honestly say that he is just like any other in my eyes; he has a repetitive streak ("I love you" is said at least twice in one conversation) and is extremely attentive to what you say and can recite it perfectly, word for word (which can only have its benefits!), not to mention fantastic time-keeping. He is pretty much like any other person I know in that respect.

However. I have a question.
I am worried. Last night (this morning, rather), at 3:30, something happened to Y. I'll say exactly as he did: "I woke up and my head was hurting",
"I lost my memory for, say, 10 seconds", "I didnt know who I was or anything".

I asked where the pain in his head was, over his eyes, or as though an egg had been cracked over his head. He replied: "Yeah. My head felt as if it was bleeding, and my arms and legs were paralysed. I just sat up in bed as far as I can remember."

His symptoms:
- paralysis of limbs
- head very painful, woke him up from sleep
- complete memory loss
- extremely light headed and dizzy
- feeling faint

Petrified... but I wasn't going to tell him I was. Please note I was not beside him when his happened - he was alone. Personally, I believe this was down to dehydration (he hadn't drank much at all in the past two days, and although moisture emits from food, adding to water content, he hadn't had cooked meals so was lacking this, too) and sleep deprivation. We were up until gone 3 oclock in the morning, afteral. Also, I think I understand that your body is most fragile during that time of morning, as it is a time of rest. Would that be why he was more inclined to that happening?
------------------------------------------------------------------
But the crux of this is, please help me figure out what happened here.
Is this common? Was it down to lack of water, or sleep, or a mix of both? Have you experienced anything at all similiar with Asperges or Autism in children, teenagers, or adults, even? Was it a Black-Out? How can we prevent this from happening in future? I am also 18 years old.

Thank you for any possible response/s.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Asperges Syndrome. PLEASE. HELP.

Hon, that sounds scary. He might have had a seizure. Seizures are a bit more common in people with Asperger's than the usual population. Please make sure he sees a doctor, as they can do tests on the brain waves to see if there is any unusual electrical activity.

Take care.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

Little Miss T HB User

Brocallie- thank you for your speedy response.
I haven't mentioned any of my worries to him as I don't want to stress him... but I think this is very serious stuff. I have been doing some research and I think that he had an Epileptic Seizure. I'll be in contact with his parents to see if they can shed any light on it.

<edited>
-----------------------------------------------------------
How does Epilepsy relate to Asperges? Does it?
Thank you for any possible response/s.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-26-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Please do not quote from outside sources.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Seizures are just a little more common in people with Aspergers or autism as their brains work a bit differently than typical folks.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
(female)

Cathy01 HB User

I don't know if it's serious. You said he hadn't been taking care of himself for a few days. Haven't you ever woken up and been a bit disoriented for a few seconds? Has that ever happened before or since? I wouldn't jump to "brain tumor" conclusion just yet.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
(female)

Little Miss T HB User

Update-
Cathy01: Once I'd spoken to his mum she told me that she had seen him drinking fairly frequently (with dinner, etc: ) and that he'd been perfectly healthy (gone out walking, eating well, etc: ) But the only other conclusion I could think of was, which mum agreed with too, was exactly that, yeah - being disorientated. Its just what was frightening me was how he'd woken up with that pain, hurting so much so that he'd collasped and couldn't move his arms/legs. I'd thought it through some more and questioned myself, "Could flashing lights on the computer screen also have triggered a reaction?" He is also learning to drive. How can this be prevented in future? Medication, I doubt, would not be needed as this has never happened before.

I'm feeling alot more reassured now from hearing your opinions and his mum's but, I'm just a bit dubious as to how he will cope with driving as it is very stressful. He is a very good driver, if I'm honest, and like I mentioned, very attentive so he takes it in his stride. ...I'm positive this reaction he had is brought on by stressful situations.

Thanking you for any possible response/s.

Closed Thread