It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

RGCA118 HB User
Autism and Seizure Activity

My daughter is 11 and was diagnonsed with Autism about 8 years ago. Prior to her diagnosis she had a seizure disorder for 2 years. She never responded to drug therapy and thankfully her seizures stopped on their own. She went 6 years seizure free/medication free but recently the seizures have returned. Her seizures are grand mals and we attempted one more medication last month. She became so much worse from the side effects and the seizures were not controlled. Our neurologist is wanting to try Lamictil as a last resort...but there are so many horrible accounts of children and their reaction to this drug. We think the seizures are hormonal - and oddly, they only occur when she is coming out of sleep in the early morning hours of when she is in a vehicle (visual stimulation?). I find this very odd but her neurologist doesn't seem to think its strange at all. If you have any similar experiences, I would love to hear.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: Autism and Seizure Activity

I have heard that when in a car, some seizures can be induced by the flickering of the sun through trees or houses or buildings so that might be what is going on. Perhaps try very darkened sun glasses to see if that helps.

And in the morning, adjusting to the visual stimuli might be another issues. Do you have darkened curtains in the room? Try this and a very dim lamp light as she is awakening.

Can't help you with lamictal but I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Autism and Seizure Activity

My daughter is 13, has Asperger's and takes Lamictal for mood disorder NOS. She's had no problems with it and it has worked wonderfully for our purpose. The key is to increase slowly and of course do not continue giving the drug if you see a rash until it's been checked by your doctor. There has been recent news about an increased chance of aseptic meningitis with Lamictal as well, but it's important to note that while miserable, aseptic meningitis is not the fatal kind of meningitis you hear about on the news and 49 cases out of the hundreds of thousands of people who use the drugs is pretty rare.

Good luck with your decision.

Closed Thread