It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
(male)

roksta HB User
Is it really HFA?

Is my kid really high functioning autistic?

She almost failed kindergarten, was late to start reading & math. She had trouble interacting

with the other kids, would pinch & strangled one for no reason, she couldn't understand why but

was upset to see other kids upset & scared of her, so she withdrew from other kids, anxiety.

Like they made her goalie for soccer & when ball came to her, she just stood there confused for

5 mintues. Then someone kicked it in. I dn't understand why she said she didn't understand what

she was to do even all the kids yelling to kick it. She felt bad afterwards & frustrated. She

often escape to day dreaming out window perfect life & teachers get mad she had trouble

concentrating what they were teaching. She has to make such effort to stay focused. She learned

a lot to mimick other kids to fit in but it seemed to cause a lot of depression, anxiety, for

awhile self-harm. Like she seem stimulate self by cutting until she realized the scars and

others reactions, then she stopped. But I can see she often need be playing with pen or

spinning a top or something while trying concentrate onr eading something.

She is sensitive to taste, loud noises, has trouble making eye contact but can fake it, but if

too long, gets over-stimulated, violent, anxious feeling & flees. She can't really make small

talk with most & gets obsessed a few subjects she loves like meaning of numbers (11:11. 12:12,

12:34 etc) & home remedies, etc. She can't work a job too much because people, hard deal with

changes, pressures, etc. She repeat lot same lines from movies/songs & likes spinning things &

shaking head left to right & very immature acting for age, especially after eating processed

foods. Once kid gets hyperfocused on subject it loves, she can spend all day researching. Also

when she is concentrating or upset, you can't touch or try to hug her. She gets very upset to

be hugged. We tried force hug & she get violent, so we try to respect. We thought we could make

her get used to touch. Wife didn't touch kid much as baby & was very psycho tempered on them as

little ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
(female)

sjs40 HB User
Re: Is it really HFA?

Hello & Welcome to Healthboards!

For starts, living in NY, you have so many services available for your daughter. You can go to the school counselor or psychologist and get a full evaluation started. It's a bunch of paper pushing, and the process, once you sign papers, begins usually in a month to start, depending on their current case load. The evaluation can last a couple of weeks during the school session.

I suggest you also take her to a pediatric neurologist and have her evaluated. - & Doing it with the school, will give her a specialized educational program, tailored to her needs.

HFA? Possibly. Sounds like she definitely has a sensory disorder & ADD, which explains the focusing. It's great that she is interacting with other kids. Social withdrawal is one big issue with autism.

My 16 year old son is HFA and his a 13 year old brother has a sensory disorder. All four of my children have ADD.
Going to the pediatric neuro, and the schools is how the process is usually starts. Hope this helps!

God Bless! Keep us posted!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Hi - I would strongly reccomend having your daughter evaluated by a child neurologist or child psychiatrist to get a complete picture. It sounds like she might have Asperger's or ADD with sensory issues as well. There are lots of interventions and a professional who is knowledgeable will be able to get you started. You can also request an evaluation from your school district and then see what kinds of services they have for her. The imporant thing is to get some therapeutic services going for her and both you and she will feel a lot better because of it.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
(male)

roksta HB User

TQ so much for a response!
Originally they thought was mental illness due to my wife was psycho temper & hit kids a lot & didn't touch them a lot when they were little. Now daughter is older, out of school, & has isolated very much. If I have guests over, it is rare she will ever come out to meet them. If she bumps into family friends known before, it is very akward for her past "hi"

She can go out & get chores done in town but keeps to self.
If someone gets too close, talks too loud, stares too long, she has said it too much & she wants to flee. As long as they keep distance, not pay too much close attention, she can be around crowds.

But I do worry the time she spends alone.
She is almost like home bound like "hikikomori" (Japanese for "shut in") unless something needed.
She has expressed she wants to interact with others like she sees other, but imitation is sometimes hard for her & she just feels so awkward & tired of others getting angry or acting weirded out when she acts odd (e.g. when a friend tries to hug her or verbally teases her, pretending hand is snake or something getting her). I don't know but it works her up easily, is weak nerves or over sensitive to stimuli, etc.

A shrink said possible HFA,I will further look into this as you said!

Thank you!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
(male)

roksta HB User

TQ very much too!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
(female)

sjs40 HB User

You're very welcome!

Keep in touch!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
(female)

LilaADHD HB User

Sounds a lot like my kids as well. I agree with all the other recommendations. I agree with the ADHD with sensory processing issues and hope you will research to learn about a sensory diet. Auditory processing sounds like an issue as well. There are two programs that my kids and I did to help these issues. You may want to research into alternative therapies. Keep in mind that research shows that kids with ADHD are 3 years delayed for their age so they are more immature.

Closed Thread