It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ilovehawaii HB User
Have you heard of temple grandin?

Temple is the Hellen Keller of Autism. She is autistic and has a PHD. She is older and so had to go thru many of the old ways like it is caused by mothers not holding or hugging their kid.

If you dont know of her I highly recommend looking her up she is awesome to say the least and the study of her fight should change DRs ideas on autism and give more autistic children a fighting chance.

God Bless.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-05-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 10-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

LadinaB HB User
Re: Have you heard of temple grandin?

YES!!!

U have read two of her books,Thinking in pictures .....fascinating and If I can remember the other one ,I think it was talking to animals??? It was a long time ago but she is an inspiration to all...people with ASD or without.
I live in the UK and they made a documentary on her over here called the woman who talks to cows. The camera crew followed her about for a number of months as she is a very influential woman in business. she invented the humane crush systems that are used in the US today for animals going to slaughter.
She really could see things through the animals eyes in the heightened sensed state that they go to slaughter in and she modified and invented a humane system that made it as bearable as possible....and made a shed load of money in the process, which like most peoples with ASD came near to the bottom of the list for her own personal levels of satisfaction in life
Read about her ,see about her if you like me have an Autistic person in your life,she really is one of lifes shining stars.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ilovehawaii HB User

that is why I refer to her as Helen Keller- her abiity to explain autism and to communicate and overcome. she doesnt get enough recognition and should turn around the old thoughts on autism. Yes she may be a rare specia`l type but she is a beautiful angel sent by GOD.
It seems that autism resembles schizophrenia especially in yourg ones and with Temples brilliance I hope they can get a handle on it.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

yukipooki HB User

I know all about Temple Grandin. She made it soooo much easier for me to understand how my profoundly autistic (and many other dx's) son thinks.

She is a sponsor of a school I considered for my son. (we went with the other school because it was 30 min closer, and the first was already 1.5 hours away).

She is a total inspiration to me and her mother was one amazing woman in a time when children with any disability's were locked away in horrid institutions.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-05-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

MysticFishooks HB User

I saw her speak just to days ago at the Autism Symposium in Toronto, ON. She is an incredible woman, and if you ever get a chance to see her in person, I would highly highly recommend it.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
(female)

Neesy HB User

Does she have Asperger's or is she straight austism spectrum?

The movie about her was awesome. Enjoyed it very much!

Last edited by Neesy; 11-07-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ilovehawaii HB User

From the movie it would appear autism at least. A severe case of it. That is why I call her the Hellen Keller of autism with her great advances. Yes the movie is what got me interested and than I searched out videos on her on the internet. she is an inspiration for modern medicine...Just hope they see that.

Closed Thread