It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

sadie1000 HB User
Autism Signs In Baby?

Hello - I'm concerned about my seven month old son and am wondering if his behavior indicates autism. Here is a long list (sorry about the length). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Behavior of Concern:
Did not make eye contact/or consistent eye contact as a baby. It is still very difficult for him to look at me up close (when held, when lying down) especially in my eyes. He will either not look or turn away or fuss when I attempt to make him look in my eyes. Sometimes he will look briefly and then look at my mouth or elsewhere. ****Not sure if he is just frustrated with me trying to make him look all the time.
Does not look at strangers face when they are up close or when they're talking to him. From a distance he is fine, he actually stares at everybody but when they start talking to him he hides his face, turns back to face them and hides his face some more. Most of the time he will not smile at strangers. Very antisocial. (Is social with his nanny whom he saw as a baby and now he's seeing her again twice a month)
Cries at people's house endlessly. Very difficult to console. Most of the time he needs to be put to sleep in a separate room and then we leave because he gets so distressed.
Used to cry in shopping malls but that has improved.
Seems bored most of the time. Can get very fussy for no particular reason. Spends very little time with toys.
Very attracted to electronics, ex: phone, computer, microwave, washer, dryer, faucet.
Likes to drop small items such as bottle cap, coins and see them twirl (favorite game at the moment). Has low attention span but will spend few minutes with bottle caps.
Seems bored with me singing to him; seems bored with face to face interaction with me. Will enjoy for about two to three minutes and then will cry or fuss to be picked up.
He has always been very difficult to console when he has a crying fit.
Likes ceiling light. Throws arms and legs quite a bit when excited, (will do this often while staring at the light)
Often moves fingers in a scraping manner. Scratches everything.
Likes switch
Extremely sensitive to environment. When we walk into people’s house he starts crying; does not like the environment lights etc.
Sensitive to sound. Like blender will make him cry
Recently displaying irritation with washing hair
Likes doors
Does not really like to play with toys except for rattles (shaking them, not banging)
Will suck tags on clothing and anything similar to a thread.

Not of Concern Behavior:
Responds to name when called from across the room. Follows me when I'm not holding him, but does not do this when we are outside, for example: store. When we're in a store or crowded place he looks at me briefly and coos or babbles (sometimes).
Likes to play with mom and dad coming to get him/peekaboo type... he will laugh and laugh..
Likes to be tickled and bitten but otherwise does not like to be cuddled or kissed.
Wants to be carried all the time. Raises arms and fusses to be picked up but never looks us in the eye..
Wants to touch things in the house all the time, drop them etc..
Points to objects he want to touch or place he wants to go to
Smiles after waking up and seeing our face
Most of the time cries or coos to get our attention after waking up or when left alone.

Developmental delays/health issues
Has acid reflux since two and half months.
Has rashes mostly in the diaper area but the doctor thinks its eczema
Has been diagnosed with horner's syndrome
Has torticollis that hasn't resolved yet.
Does not sit without support for too long
Does not really lift chest consistently when put on tummy

Can roll and has started babbling baba dada gaga gukku etc.. recently.

Last edited by sadie1000; 11-02-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

MissRoo HB User
Re: Autism Signs In Baby?

Honestly, he could be showing some signs of autism...but a lot of what you seem to be worried about seems quite normal for a baby, he just seems like he might be shy (when he doesnt make eye contact/hides his face)
I think all you can really do is wait and see how he develops, (I'd say its quite hard to have such a young baby diagnosed as autistic anyway...) just enjoy this time and try not to worry so much, because for sure a lot of what youre worrying about is totally normal for a baby (sensitive to sound/hard to console/upset at other people homes/short attention span etc), he just sounds like he might be a little difficult, some babies are.
But you should try to stop worrying, if he is autistic then there isnt too nuch you could do right now anyway, often signs dont actually show up until age 2 or 3 anyway, you might just be overreacting...I'm sure he's fine

Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

sadie1000 HB User

Hi - Thanks for the response! I am trying not to worry but now he has started to flick his finger. If you would please let me know which behaviors noted above would seem concerning (uncommon/autistic like) that would be wonderful.

Thank you again..

Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
(female)

MissRoo HB User

To be honest I wouldnt say that any of his behaviour is very concerning, everything seems pretty normal behaviour for such a young baby...to me anyway...I just dont want to say that theres no chance since I'm not a qualified to diagnose autism. Honestly I'm not sure why youre so worried about this...it really doesnt seem like you have reason to be worried, have you taken your concerns to a doctor?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
(female)

MissRoo HB User
Thumbs up Re: Autism Signs In Baby?

These are symptoms to worry about, from what youve written, it seems the only symptom your child is showing is not making eye contact...but if you notice anything else on the list then you may have reason to worry...

Doesn’t make eye contact (e.g. look at you when being fed).
Doesn't smile when smiled at.
Doesn't respond to his or her name or to the sound of a familiar voice.
Doesn’t follow objects visually.
Doesn't point or wave goodbye or use other gestures to communicate.
Doesn’t make noises to get your attention.
Doesn’t respond to cuddling.
Doesn’t imitate your movements and facial expressions.
Doesn’t reach out to be picked up.
Doesn’t play with other people or share interest and enjoyment.

By 6 months: No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions.
By 9 months: No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions.
By 12 months: Lack of response to name.
By 12 months: No babbling or “baby talk.”
By 12 months: No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving.
By 16 months: No spoken words.
By 24 months: No meaningful two-word phrases that don’t involve imitating or repeating.

I assume youve already looked up symptoms but you didnt really mention any of these symptoms other than the eye contact one...hope this helps

oh and this might help you feel better since many the symptoms you listed seem the opposite of this...
quote: "In some cases, the earliest symptoms of autism are even misinterpreted as signs of a “good baby,” since the infant may be very quiet and undemanding."

Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
(female)

nicole1988 HB User

For my son it wasnt until he was about 1yr old that we finally said okay we should have him evaluated. There were so many things that I look back on and say I should have known. He was delayed in everything. Holding head, sitting up, crawling, walking. He didnt like to be held. He would stare at the ceiling fans, lights, corners of ceilings, ect. As an infant he would sit and watch tv for hours at a time. He would fall asleep anytime I ran the vaccum, cry when his baby sister cried. Learned to wave bye bye and lost the ability to wave shortly after. Started saying da da and ma ma and lost those as well. My son is now four and still doesnt talk. Its so hard to say for curtain at that age. My best advice would be to make sure that he is starting to do things in order like hold head up, roll over, sit up on own, crawl, walk. If you notice him skipping steps then you should let the doctor know. Watch for loss of milestones. Dont just blow off your concerns but dont expect that a doctor will say yes for sure. It will take time.

The Following User Says Thank You to nicole1988 For This Useful Post:
sadie1000 (11-13-2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
(female)

dncergrl53 HB User

You said your baby has Horner's syndrome. Have you had his vision tested? It is possible for babies ' vision to be tested. Take to your pediatrician for a full evaluation, if you are worried.

Last edited by dncergrl53; 11-14-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
(female)

Mira11 HB User

Hi - As you probably know it is very hard to tell in such a young baby. However, what I would do is take your list to your pediatrican at the next visit and sit down with them to discuss what you are seeing. After that, either ask for a request for a referral to a developmental pediatrician for an evaluation or a referral to your city's early intervention program also for an evaluation. Since it does take awhile to get things up and running, it would be very good to start now to see what is what. You sound like an amazing Mom, btw!! Please let us know what you learn.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
(female)

jacecil HB User

There are too many books out there that feed ourselves with a feeling of what if. I'm NOT saying your little one isn't Autistic, but with the child only being 7 months...........if Autism was a major problem YOUR doctor should already be aware. It took us (my husband and I) almost 2 years to figure out our son was autistid. 7 Months is a very early age to try and diagnose a child unless he is cognivetivelly ununderstanding. My son has been diagnosed as moderatelly autistic with mild retardation and that was when he was 2 yo. I would give your little one time to undergo ALL of life. If by a year he's still unresponsive to things then I WOULD definitely look into getting into a doctor to diagnos him. We now a days are paranoid because of the statistics of Autism. I bought Jenny Mc Carthy's book when I thought my son was autistic and I was told I was a hypochodriac. Just go on your instincts and keep watching. Nothing is better than to watch, but don't consume yourself with people like me who have shildren who ARE autistic, cause I can tell you RIGHT now, at 7 months old..............my son didn't display signs of being autistic. Have a good nights sleep knowing that the public has you overly concerned and if your little one shows dramatic signs of problems then be concerned, if not............sleep well and know that we as parents as autistic children have made you a little paranoid. :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to jacecil:
sadie1000 (11-18-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
(female)

sadie1000 HB User

Thanks for the great reply... I try not to worry but he keeps showing signs that makes my heart sink. I have asked his pediatrician about his recent hand movements (he is banging his chin with his fist; flicking his finger; moving his wrist up and down) and have been told that many kids exhibit unusual movements such as head banging.

My son is trying to crawl but one side of his body seems to be doing something completely different from the other side. I read the tietelbaum study and found some relation.. In addition, I'm worried he might have a moebius mouth. Is anyone familiar with moebius mouth?

The Following User Says Thank You to sadie1000 For This Useful Post:
Mtb710 (12-28-2011)
Closed Thread